Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Checking Someone Else's Bag - What Will Happen At Check In?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking Someone Else's Bag - What Will Happen At Check In?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:05 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I had not caught on that it was such an old thread - sorry.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 5:32 am

Hi Hobbes,

We bought our tickets from different web-sites that's why i think our PNR codes are different.

Thanks
Old Feb 6, 2016, 5:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I always tell lies at check-in.
I don't pack our cases the wife does, so I have no idea what's in them.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I always tell lies at check-in.
I don't pack our cases the wife does, so I have no idea what's in them.
That can be a dangerous game, a mate of mine decided to go on a lad's weekend away without discussing it first with his partner. He had asked her to sort out his clothes and pack them while he was at work so he could just grab and go. He got a bit of a shock when he arrived at the hotel he was staying; when he opened is case, it was full of women's underwear rather than his own.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:01 am

Programs: BD-G(RIP); BA-bronze
Slightly off topic but this is how check in staff handled a situation at Malta on Thursday.

We were running late so I dropped my butler off at departures with both bags at T-65 whilst I went to refuel and return the hire car.

The check in agent checked us both in and the bags to LGW, then held onto my passport pending my arrival, and after verifying we were both travelling gave us the BPs and lounge invitations.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Did your friend by any chance pay for your ticket for you and/or was the trip his idea? How long have you known him and how well?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Fyo-

Dont overthink this.... You will get to repack this yourself, correct?

When asked about 'did anyone give you anything to carry' just response "my friend and I are traveling together and I have some of his stuff, but I did re-pack everything myself". Casual, not worried. Worst case they flag that bag for an intensive screening.

I would have zero concerns with 'fraud' or the airline- nothing says that your bags must consist of luggage and clothing owned by you personally.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Even if you repack the bag yourself, I would bet that customs agents and their dogs are better at finding illegal substances than you: Locked Up Abroad. Even if the owner of the bag will walk it through customs upon arrival, many countries (including those with very harsh penalties) have outbound customs where having the bag checked under your ticket could be a huge problem.

IME I've been asked about gift items, even welcome gifts at major hotels, and the one time I was carrying something given to me by another person on a TATL flight, it was just a couple periodicals in Turkish that I was bringing to a colleague. Security asked to inspect them and leafed through the magazines, which fortunately were in an outside pocket of my carry on bag. Needless to say, I cannot read or speak Turkish, so there would have been a lot of explaining to do if I had tried to not admit to these items and they were noticed.

I've since learned always to open and check all items I've been given, including hotel welcome gifts and gifts from international colleagues. I also avoid discussing my itinerary or leaving copies laying around where hotel maids, etc. could see the information.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 3:43 pm

whta if it was national flight

So, so far everyone would be against checking someone elses bags for international flights. (which i agree)
BUT would you guys feel the same for national flights within the US???

I have actually carried things for friends before and since you dont go through customs, as long as it is not a bomb, it makes no sense refusing a friend.

How do you guys feel about it?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Which airline would this involve as your question would be best asked on that airlines board rather than the BA one as BA does not operate internal flights in the US.

When you carry something for someone else you are still taking responsibility for it. And that could be illegal items not just a bomb. And you would be the one held responsible for the items. It's not always a customs issue but it is always a security issue.

Airlines require some items to be declared to them and some need special handling (such as guns) and if you don't know what you are carrying then you can't comply with such declarations.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Jails in a lot of countries are filled with friendly people who took friends bags on international flights. Try to bend over picking up a soap in a shower and think of this huge guy standing behind you.
thats what might happen ��
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
On a purely practical note, always be aware of what you are carrying- it's your responsibility. I often take gifts on behalf of friends/family, for other friends/family. But it's always people that I know very well indeed and I always know what it is (i.e. new dress for Aunty Susan). I would not take a whole suitcase for someone unless I unpacked it first and then re-packed it. Whilst this would not eliminate the theoretical possibility of drugs in the lining etc. you obviously need to risk assess for yourself and take a common sense approach. I'd do it for close family and friends that I trusted, but not for any Tom, Dick or Harry. However, generally it would strike me as an odd thing to do- I can't think of too many scenarios where that would realistically happen- I can't imagine any of my friends or family asking me to take a suitcase for tem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.