Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Checking Someone Else's Bag - What Will Happen At Check In?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking Someone Else's Bag - What Will Happen At Check In?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 5:59 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by bealine
Personally, there are only a couple of close friends that I have known from childhood that I would trust enough to carry a bag for - but those friends, whom I have known from childhood, would happily let me see what I was carrying first!
I would check-in only my husband's baggage - and even then be terrified that somehow the thing would burst open and his underwear might be considered mine own (would it be worse if he checked in mine?)

Seriously, if the old questions of "Is this your bag? Did you pack it yourself?" are asked - would you seriously answer with a lie? It is too serious a matter to be caught out. Were I asked and I would have told them that it was because you can be 101% certain that I would have packed it and I would distribute his and my garments accordingly.

No - you are playing with fire - don't attempt it.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:33 am

Note that most of the posts on this thread are dated 2010.

The question being asked is:

Originally Posted by fyolacan
Hi Everybody,

I have read all of yours posts and i want to ask for a different situation.

I will fly from London to Newyork with my friend soon, he is not my best friend but i know him, He told me that he is going to have 2 bags and asked me to check his extra baggage for not paying excess baggage fee. (I will not have any checked baggage). He also told me that he is going to let me check and repack his bag. We will going to check in together and if a question “Have you been given anything to take on the flight?” arise and i honestly answer "yes, the whole baggage belongs to my friend who is next to me" would there be any problem? Does the airline refuse to carry baggage or us ? I would be appreciated if you share your deep experience with me. Thank you
I think you would be hard done by if you checked in together and the airline refused to combine allowances. The following BA answer would also suggest it's OK provided individual bag weights are not exceeded.

https://naprepin.custhelp.com/app/an...e-allowance%3F
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:10 am

Hello Simon,

I think i was misunderstood, we are not going to pool our baggage and my friend second baggage is not much than 23kg. I'm going to fly without baggage and he has 2, i will just going to check-in his extra baggage with my allowance(By repacking it and checking it before we go the desk).

But i wonder that if “Have you been given anything to take on the flight?” question is asked and i say "The baggage is my friends' baggage and he is also flying in this flight" with showing him, would there be any problem? Does the airline refuse to carry baggage or us ?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
No - you are playing with fire - don't attempt it.
Is this your bag and did you pack it yourself?
Yes.
What is this white powder sir?
That's not mine...

Edit: Just realized this is a resurrected 2010 thread...

Last edited by SteveF; Feb 5, 2016 at 9:17 am
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Under no circumstances would I do this for anybody who was not a very close relative or lifelong friend whom I trust with my life. That is an exceedingly short list.

At one point, this was merely about fraud (your friend trying to defraud BA of the fee he owes for the extra bag). Now, it has become about safety and it is taken much more seriously.

If something is found here during a routine random search, neither you nor your friend will be traveling for a long time and convincing the authorities that you are a dupe will be hard.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:26 am

Hello Simon,

I think i was misunderstood, we are not going to pool our baggage and my friend second baggage is not much than 23kg. I'm going to fly without baggage and he has 2, i will just going to check-in his extra baggage with my allowance(By repacking it and checking it before we go the desk).

But i wonder that if “Have you been given anything to take on the flight?” question is asked and i say "The baggage is my friends' baggage and he is also flying in this flight" with showing him, would there be any problem? Does the airline refuse to carry baggage or us ?
If you have repacked the bag yourself I can't see there is an issue. Have you packed the bag yourself, yes, so you know what is in it. In this circumstance I would consider it your bag.

ps you would have been better starting a new thread as there will now be lots of people trying to answer the question from 6 years ago.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:14 am

The only times I have taken something on a flight that did not belong to me was actually to TLV as a relative of a friend forgot an item in London. However, one advantage of a TLV based friend making such a request was that without even having to ask the item was brought to me, I had a chance to inspect it fully and then pack it myself. No-one TLV based (or ex-TLV based) would expect anything else.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:21 am

I want to help him, because excess baggage fee costs a lot. He said that he will be ok, if i declare that the baggage belongs to him. But i wonder if “Have you been given anything to take on the flight?” is asked and i say "Yes, this baggage is belong to my friend and i don't have baggage that's why i m checking in it " Would there be any restriction that cause airline to refuse to carry the baggage or us ? In fact, i believe that there is no difference with this situation and checking your wife's or kids' baggage with your own baggage allowance.

That's why i don't think this is attempt of fraud. If I have space why wouldn't i use it ? While searching the subject on the internet i saw that there are a lot of "crowd shipping" company which let you to carry someone else stuff while you travel(By demanding money). I believe that "crowd-shipping" is more risky then what we want to do.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by simons1
If you have repacked the bag yourself I can't see there is an issue. Have you packed the bag yourself, yes, so you know what is in it. In this circumstance I would consider it your bag.

ps you would have been better starting a new thread as there will now be lots of people trying to answer the question from 6 years ago.
I have tried to open new thread but admins closed it and said that "the question is asked in here already"

Last edited by fyolacan; Feb 5, 2016 at 8:46 am
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Hi Everybody,

I have read all of yours posts and i want to ask for a different situation.

I will fly from London to Newyork with my friend soon, he is not my best friend but i know him, He told me that he is going to have 2 bags and asked me to check his extra baggage for not paying excess baggage fee. (I will not have any checked baggage). He also told me that he is going to let me check and repack his bag. We will going to check in together and if a question “Have you been given anything to take on the flight?” arise and i honestly answer "yes, the whole baggage belongs to my friend who is next to me" would there be any problem? Does the airline refuse to carry baggage or us ? I would be appreciated if you share your deep experience with me. Thank you
If you tell the check-in agent the exact truth, then I think it should be OK.

When you get to New York I suggest you insist your friend carry all his own baggage through Customs. The Customs people don't care about baggage allowances and checked baggage fees. They do care that the bag you take through Customs is your bag and you are responsible for anything in that bag. They aren't going to have a lot of patience with "I don't know what that white powder is. This is my friend's bag, not mine.".
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:56 am

Hello,

Yes, when we land the NewYork he is going to take his own baggage from the carousels and carry his own stuffs. I will only check-in his baggage at the "check-in desk".

Thank you
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:42 am

I want to help him, because excess baggage fee costs a lot. He said that he will be ok, if i declare that the baggage belongs to him. But i wonder if “Have you been given anything to take on the flight?” is asked and i say "Yes, this baggage is belong to my friend and i don't have baggage that's why i m checking in it " Would there be any restriction that cause airline to refuse to carry the baggage or us ? In fact, i believe that there is no difference with this situation and checking your wife's or kids' baggage with your own baggage allowance.

That's why i don't think this is attempt of fraud. If I have space why wouldn't i use it ? While searching the subject on the internet i saw that there are a lot of "crowd shipping" company which let you to carry someone else stuff while you travel(By demanding money). I believe that "crowd-shipping" is more risky then what we want to do.
I would answer no. You packed the bag yourself so in effect the stuff is yours. If you draw attention to it I suspect you will just create hassle and I don't think in this case what you are doing is wrong.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:48 am

I have tried to open new thread but admins closed it and said that "the question is asked in here already"
Bit frustrating as inevitably people don't read properly and pounce on the OP question from 6 years ago. Your situation is somewhat different, as the other person is there with you and travelling.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by simons1
Bit frustrating as inevitably people don't read properly and pounce on the OP question from 6 years ago. Your situation is somewhat different, as the other person is there with you and travelling.
How can i open new thread ? Could you please assist me to do this, because i think if i open again, admins are going to close it again

Last edited by fyolacan; Feb 6, 2016 at 2:47 am
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: BA, AA, FB
Did you buy your tickets together and have one PNR for both your tickets? If so and if you check in at the same time, the airline does not care which bag belongs to you and which one belongs to your friend. Your tickets will allow you to take the number of bags you are taking and your friend can just answer all the questions at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.