Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip report : First to Cape Town

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
For some reason the OP chose to provide links to the thumbnails.
Just delete the _s from each link manually and you get a reasonable sized pic.
The thumbnails aren't links for me?!
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
How dare you mention geeks on Flyertalk. None of us are geeks..... are we?

Originally Posted by Genius1
Are you using Snow Leopard on a Mac? The other half's laptop automatically pulls through the pictures when Snow Leopard has been installed
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
The links the OP provided are just to very small pictures, they don't link to anywhere else (at least not for me, and I am running Snow Leopard on a nice 8GB quad-core iMac ^). I'm just calling them thumbnails because they probably are thumbnails for some index page somewhere.

You have to actually edit the link yourself in the address bar, manually removing the "_s", so you get for example, http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4035/...68c3018a66.jpg for the last one.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Eeek! I was right about Snow Leopard. Did I just mention the word - geek ?!!
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by KenJohn
Eeek! I was right about Snow Leopard. Did I just mention the word - geek ?!!
What do you mean? That it automatically creates a link to the large picture without the "_s" ? Sounds a bit odd to me. What browser is this? Safari?
Old Mar 3, 2010, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
The links the OP provided are just to very small pictures, they don't link to anywhere else (at least not for me, and I am running Snow Leopard on a nice 8GB quad-core iMac ^). I'm just calling them thumbnails because they probably are thumbnails for some index page somewhere.
The thumbnails don't link to anywhere though - they're not clickable. I have a 13" aluminium MacBook running Snow Leopard/Safari. The same in Firefox.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't see any links either just pictures. LeisureFirst needs to adjust his settings to allow images to be shown ........he's obviously not a geek.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 9:45 am

The thumbnails don't link to anywhere though - they're not clickable.
So you're saying that on the Flyertalk page itself you see a very small picture rather than a hyperlink to a very small picture?

Have you at least managed to see the bigger pictures using the method I described? Of course, you'd need to find the address of the pictures you're seeing, but that must be possible somehow.

Last edited by LeisureFirst; Mar 4, 2010 at 11:42 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 4, 2010, 10:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by jumpseat_jock
i'll have a go at re-sizing the photo's tomorrow, this was my first attempt at uploading and i think i made them too small with the aim of speeding up the upload. it is very much a chat about my/our experience in First with good and not so good points highlighted, i posed the Q at the start if the product still delivered and overall (based on this trip) i believe it does

JJ
Great trip report, jumpseat_jock ^

No need to get overly concerned about the disparaging remarks on the original image sizes. It is your trip report, based on your experience and it was your time expended to present it to us.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for making the pictures bigger, jumpseat_jock ^
Old Mar 4, 2010, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks for the great TR.

The negatives, which you have included in your fair and balanced report, are all familiar.

Whilst I always enjoy the CCR, I agree that there are some aspects that could and should be better.

Sadly, I also agree that the Champagne Bar in the GF is not as successful or popular, IME/IMHO as I am sure the designers/BA expected.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by KenJohn
Are you using Snow Leopard on a Mac? The other half's laptop automatically pulls through the pictures when Snow Leopard has been installed
I think I still don't follow this. You see all the pictures embedded in the Flyertalk page itself without having to click on anything to see them?

Your snowy leopard obviously has more spots than mine. I don't see this in Safari, or Firefox, or on my Windows PC at work with IE. Nor can I find a setting which might alter this.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 3:33 pm

Lightbulb

I think I still don't follow this. You see all the pictures embedded in the Flyertalk page itself without having to click on anything to see them?

Your snowy leopard obviously has more spots than mine. I don't see this in Safari, or Firefox, or on my Windows PC at work with IE. Nor can I find a setting which might alter this.
Got it now. This has nothing to do with Snow Leopard. It's a Flyertalk setting. Go to MyFlyerTalk->Edit Options and there is an option to Show Images. Mine was off - and I think that must have been the default when I set up my account as I don't recall changing it.

This is still no excuse for a proper geek not figuring out how to see the large images all along in the way I explained yesterday. Even with "Show Images" selected, so they appear embedded in the Flyertalk page, you can still right-click or whatever to open the image in a separate window and manually edit its url guessing (it was rather easy) what the url of the bigger picture was.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Got it now.
Well if you had been paying attention to my earlier post you would have found the answer sooner.....and I'm no geek either.

Excellent pictures jumpseat_jock. The Champagne glasses lined up one is especially good. ^
Old Mar 5, 2010, 4:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Great report. Fantastic detail. Last time I flew back from LA I was bumped out of 1A because a baby needed the bassinet. Said baby then screamed all night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.