Search

Seating Queries: First

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, ar1!
Originally Posted by ar1
At the moment I'm leaning towards booking 2e and 2f . My questions are whether the aisle seats tend to be just as private/comfortable as the window seats or whether there is a noticeable difference. Also I can see that the seat is placed behind the divider as it were , does this make it harder to talk than if it were a window and aisle seat with no divider?

On the return leg were definitely going for window seats but I'm unsure whether to book 2k and 3k or 2k and 2a - I'd want seats that are fairly undisturbed so that we can have a decent rest on the flight.
For a couple, there's a lot of logical sense in an EF pair. Many people think that 2EF is a better pair than either 1EF or 4EF because it gets less disturbance from the galleys etc both fore or aft of the cabin. We certainly appreciated that when we did LHR-SYD in 2EF.

However, I personally think that the middle seats feel a little less private. The window seats feel more private because the seats are angled away from the aisle. That doesn't bother us personally; but if that's important, it might be better to get two window seats on the same side of the aircraft. You can of course use the buddy seat to dine together or even to sit and talk if you like, and then retreat to your own seats when you want to sleep or watch the TV or whatever.

The divider is not really an issue because it slides forward to open, so that the first part of the opening to clear is that closest to your head. But it doesn't easily stay in its fully open position, and tends to stay about half closed. There is a workaround to this: take the ribbon off the pyjamas, roll it up into a tight spiral, and jam that into the divider track to keep the divider fully open.

On your return sector, 2K and 3K will be a better choice than 2A and 2K because you want to be on the same side of the aircraft.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:04 am

Programs: BA Gold HH Diamond
Good advice from Globaliser, ar1. We always prefer to be together in middle seats, accepting slightly less privacy (but not much - this is F after all) and a little less room on the shelf to the side of your seat. Windows aren't important to us - just done DXB and back in 2e/2f and would support Globaliser's recommendation.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:19 am
ar1

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Welcome to FT, ar1!For a couple, there's a lot of logical sense in an EF pair. Many people think that 2EF is a better pair than either 1EF or 4EF because it gets less disturbance from the galleys etc both fore or aft of the cabin. We certainly appreciated that when we did LHR-SYD in 2EF.

However, I personally think that the middle seats feel a little less private. The window seats feel more private because the seats are angled away from the aisle. That doesn't bother us personally; but if that's important, it might be better to get two window seats on the same side of the aircraft. You can of course use the buddy seat to dine together or even to sit and talk if you like, and then retreat to your own seats when you want to sleep or watch the TV or whatever.

The divider is not really an issue because it slides forward to open, so that the first part of the opening to clear is that closest to your head. But it doesn't easily stay in its fully open position, and tends to stay about half closed. There is a workaround to this: take the ribbon off the pyjamas, roll it up into a tight spiral, and jam that into the divider track to keep the divider fully open.

On your return sector, 2K and 3K will be a better choice than 2A and 2K because you want to be on the same side of the aircraft.
Thanks for the advice it's much appreciated. I think I'll stick with 2k and 3k for the return leg as I agree it's better to be on one side. For the outward leg there are really 2 options either to take 3k and 4k or 2e and 2f. I'm leaning towards the ef combo but my only worry is that I've seen conflicting reports about whether the centre or window seats are more spacious. Some reviews state that the row 2 centre seats tend to be quite spacious as they are not angled as much as the window seats, however I have seen complaints about the elbow space as apparently the supports next to the seat on the window arrangement allow for greater space. I was wondering whether you experienced this at all or whether it's not a big issue? I suppose comfort is more of an issue than privacy as long as there's not too much disturbance from the cabin.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:15 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
Not so much a seating query but a general First one, I’ve got a choice between the 10am and 9pm to Mumbai, logistically the 9pm will be better, getting to LHR and arrival etc but I can’t help but think come about midnight I might fall asleep and before I know it be picking up my luggage and would have only had a few hours of the F experience.

For those that are less regular on F, does anyone have a flight time preference to make the most of it?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ar1
Some reviews state that the row 2 centre seats tend to be quite spacious as they are not angled as much as the window seats, however I have seen complaints about the elbow space as apparently the supports next to the seat on the window arrangement allow for greater space. I was wondering whether you experienced this at all or whether it's not a big issue?
Sorry, I don't fly F or 777s often enough to notice fine distinctions like this!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:15 pm
ar1

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Sorry, I don't fly F or 777s often enough to notice fine distinctions like this!
Haha fair enough, I'm probably overthinking this anyway. It's the first time flying with my son in a premium cabin however and I want to make sure we get the most out of it. After a trip together it will all probably make more sense if we are fortunate enough to be able to travel first in the future. The review I read from someone travelling in the exact seats I have now chosen 2ef on the way out and 2/3k on the way back made it sound like there was quite a dramatic difference between the centre seats and window seats in terms of space which is why I was unsure on which to book , I've pasted part of that here if anyone can comment on it :
"Having sampled both the centre and aisle seats now, I would have to say that the Aisle seats (A / K) are preferable as you get much more space courtesy of an additional ledge next to the windows that doesn’t exist on the middle seats. "
Old Mar 5, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
How far apart are 2A & K on a 744? My wife and I are off to JFK in September and she, being a lowly blue, is stopping me snagging 1 A & K. So the question is whether it is better to grab an E&F pair or 2A & K instead. I'm leaning to the latter but am willing to change my mind.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Joely
How far apart are 2A & K on a 744?
Too far away from each other to hold hands.

[Click on images for full-size versions.]

You could also do 1K and 2K (or 1A and 2A if left-handed). However, NF on a 744 is not good for buddy dining in the window seats.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Joely
How far apart are 2A & K on a 744?
Miles and miles. If you talk to one another then it has to be E/F seats. Even 1A/K are too far apart to whisper sweet nothings (or gossip about the crew/other passengers without them hearing) and any way they are angled away from each other.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Hmmm I will have to quiz my wife on how much she actually likes me and wants to talk to me, which might of course change between now and then.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), Hyatt PLT, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Miles and miles. If you talk to one another then it has to be E/F seats. Even 1A/K are too far apart to whisper sweet nothings (or gossip about the crew/other passengers without them hearing) and any way they are angled away from each other.
And yelling across the gap from 1A to 1K will mightily p*ss off whoever is in 2A and 2K who don't want to hear your lovey dovey whisperings.

I have been there and done that so many times now that I sit in 3A now and not 2A
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC
Closets

My wife and I have 4e/f on BA 216 in April. I believe I read that these seats do not have the small closet that we have found on 777 F seats. Is that true? If so is there a place to hang shirts etc. Thank you.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Charleston Tom
My wife and I have 4e/f on BA 216 in April. I believe I read that these seats do not have the small closet that we have found on 777 F seats. Is that true? If so is there a place to hang shirts etc. Thank you.
There are wardrobes, although they are either side of the podium in front of the seats rather than in the back of those in front (as there are no seats in front). IIRC they are slightly smaller.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC
Thank you- I assume that 5 E/F have the 777 style closet?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'm flying business through work LHR to ORD BA0295 in a few weeks time. DW is joining me for the trip; sadly* the only reward flight available is in First! She has been allocated 1E. Is that a good seat or should she change it?

*sadly as in we would have been happy spending less Avios and she would prefer to travel with me. Her first trip in first, so should be a good experience for her to make up for sitting alone. 1F is still showing as empty if that makes a difference to seat selection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.