Wiki Posts
Search

Seating Queries: First

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2010, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Question Seating Queries: First

For all your questions (and answers) regarding the best, worst, noisest, quietest seats in BA First on both the 747 and 777 fleets.

Last edited by Prospero; Nov 10, 2010 at 1:09 pm Reason: amended seat plans - following feedback from FT members
Old Feb 23, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver
1A. Nuff said!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I prefer 1K. I am right handed and with the shelf on the right hand side the champagne glass has less distance to travel to my lips.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver
But seriously... I can only really comment on 744. Once in F on a 777, but I was so knackered that I slept for the first 8 hours and then so distracted for the remaining 2 hours by the news that my connection had been cancelled, that I didn't really notice the seat or configuration!

1A seems to be agreed as best for a lone traveller (or 1K) unless you get very annoyed by the rare opening of the wardrobe, or unless you get an even rarer baby in the bassinet (in which case you might even get bumped from 1A), but I hear that the baby seat is going to be further back in one of the pair of seats when they re-do the cabin.

For a couple, I think the jury is out. We prefer 1A and 2A, but others like 1A and 1K, or 2A and 2K (although difficult to hold a conversation), or 4E and 4F (close to chat but a bit "public"), or 5E and 5F (but can be a bit noisy from the Galley!).

Has to be remembered though, that there isn't a bad seat in F. Some of the UD J seats are as good as some of the F seats in my opinion, but the service is almost always better in F and remember - new F is coming (or if you are v. lucky, here already!).

YMMV, of course. I look forward to hearing what others say.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Only done the 747, and that was only once. But Row 2 is the place to be. Row 1 if you are with a fellow traveller and can get them.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Genius1
Only done the 747, and that was only once. But Row 2 is the place to be. Row 1 if you are with a fellow traveller and can get them.
Indeed. 1A/K as a single traveler is not the best option. There is nothing in it on a 777 although I prefer row 2 or 3 (A or K) since there is less light pollution.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:36 pm
Suspended

what is light pollution ?
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by johnsmithfrommanachester
what is light pollution ?
Light that enters the cabin from the galley or the toilets. Only relevant on night flights.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 1:48 am

I have only tried the 747 (in the "old" F, of course). As a QF WP (ow EMD), when I chose my seat on QF MMB 1A and 1K were blocked out. So 2A it was.

Great seat for SYD-BKK although it was much helped by only 4 pax in the cabin including me. No one was in 2K, although there were pax in 3A and 4K.

I guess if shelf space was something then 1A and 1K probably have the most, or 5A and 5K. I found enough shelf space for me in 2A.

The small number of pax in the cabin combined with a warm British service from the three FAs whose names all start with S made for a very nice flight.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:13 am

747 1K. As Swanhunter so eloquently put it, right handed
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Is there some logic/memory built into ba.com seat choice?

The system does knows how to put me into my favourite seats, 1A in F automatically these days (or 1C/1D in CE short haul) if the seats are free without me changing seats assignments on line.

The only time ba.com fails to put me in the right seat is in CW on a 747. It always defaults to the lower deck!
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:31 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Should the regos on the G-V*** series 777's not have two I's ?

As in G-VIIN as opposed to G-VIN etc ??
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:18 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by kered
Should the regos on the G-V*** series 777's not have two I's ?

As in G-VIIN as opposed to G-VIN etc ??
It's a case of the kerning being too small on the original document. There is two I's in each case but they haven't been kerned properly and so appear to be just one.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:16 am

Programs: BA GfL, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Is there some logic/memory built into ba.com seat choice?

The system does knows how to put me into my favourite seats, 1A in F automatically these days (or 1C/1D in CE short haul) if the seats are free without me changing seats assignments on line.

The only time ba.com fails to put me in the right seat is in CW on a 747. It always defaults to the lower deck!
I was also wondering this - my trips now book into my favourite seats each time, with the exception of CW on the 747. It even now defaults to 2C/2D on the domestics.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:26 am

I prefer the 777, because as you can see from the images above, it has a larger crumple zone in case of a crash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.