Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

ok...despite a potential strike, do you still book?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ok...despite a potential strike, do you still book?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Virgin FC
I'm waiting til after the 22nd (Feb) to book...planning on going to CPH in March to visit friends....If the price is too much, I will just use my Airmiles (always decent availability)

I have booked a return to JFK in July though....I just felt March was more risky considering UNITE said an Easter strike won't go ahead....
Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I'm giving BA a miss until the second half of the year.
Let's see how this pans out first ??
Old Feb 4, 2010, 4:01 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I am prepared to risk it but only because I have cheap back-up plans in place.

I have tried all alternative carriers (not necessarily on the same route) and they were OK but much prefer BA. So I'd book BA and a backup for important travel (and waste the backup if BA strike doesn't go ahead).

The only route that I would not book BA on for the strike period is LHR-CDG in ET because I am a greedy witch and I prefer AF food on that route.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 4:22 pm

Programs: BMi Silver, BA Blue, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Made a booking some time ago and due to fly back fom Bom on 1 Mar. ....the first poss day of action. Really hoping not to be stuck in Bom.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

i've decided not to...

just because my hubby is extremely busy with his work that the timing won't work out. So...hope to book next time sale is on. Thanks all and good luck!
Old Feb 5, 2010, 2:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
I have just booked a trip for March. But similar to a lot of others on here, I haven't worried about the strike too much only becaue it's the kind of trip where there is no huge harm done if it is cancelled at a few days notice and I'm refunded. I'll be seeing a bunch of friends in New York, but no one else is making plans because of me other than a couple of dinner reservations. And the parties I'll be attending with happilly go ahead without me (shocking but true ). Also I'm staying partly with friends and partly in my usual hotel (the Gansevoort) - it's a normal city hotel booking, cancellable without penalty a day in advance.

Some of my trips are completely unlike that. If I'm in Rio for New Year or Carnival I usually have plans to "go with" friends in the sense that we'll see each other there and maybe even stay in the same hotel in adjoining rooms. Hotels (or better, for the cognoscenti, apartments) need advance payment often in full. Friends fly down from New York to see me etc. If it was that kind of trip I would have thought twice about booking with BA, to say the least. In fact, I did have exactly that kind of trip planned during the last major threatened strike in 2007, booked months ahead. My boyfriend had made plans to close his business for over two weeks and told all his clients about it, he was flying up from Madrid to see me before we flew off to Rio, hotels had been paid for in advance (and they weren't cheap), internal flights bought etc. The strike then was very nerve-wracking.

So in summary, I wouldn't recommend booking a trip with BA for March/April if you're going to be checking the news hourly and biting your fingernails if a strike gets called that hits your travel days. Depends how much of a worrier you are, as well as the kind of trip.

Last edited by LeisureFirst; Feb 5, 2010 at 3:25 am
Old Feb 5, 2010, 4:13 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
I have just booked a trip for March. But similar to a lot of others on here, I haven't worried about the strike too much only becaue it's the kind of trip where there is no huge harm done if it is cancelled at a few days notice and I'm refunded.
Same here - just booked for 6 March.

Quite looking forward to onboard fun and games as pilots, waterworld latteists, and CS agents suddenly realise that CC do a whole lot more than dish-out birdseed
Old Feb 5, 2010, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
I'm booked on the 4th to TLS. It's to visit the outlaws so not that bothered if I have to reschedule. I booked before the ballot was announced although I knew that Unite would be running one at some stage.

Originally Posted by heartybob
Quite looking forward to onboard fun and games as pilots, waterworld latteists, and CS agents suddenly realise that CC do a whole lot more than dish-out birdseed
Or realise that they don't
Old Feb 5, 2010, 5:01 am

I've booked a 2 week trip to go to Texas leaving at the end of March. It's over Easter so shouldn't be affected and BA flights came up the cheapest by quite a mile so another airline wasn't really an option. If the worst does happen I'll be furious as I want to see my family over there but I won't lose out financially (no hotels etc required). The best case scenario for me would be that they strike mid April so I can't get home and have to enjoy the Southern sun a bit longer
Old Feb 5, 2010, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have 3 trips in March. Holiday has a full back up plan and other contingency (assuming that some flights operate and GGL can sort me out). If the work trips are cancelled I'll be happy!

Last edited by Swanhunter; Feb 5, 2010 at 6:52 am
Old Feb 5, 2010, 6:39 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by heartybob
You mean they might forget to take enough trashy Hello-type magazines with them to help feed their gossiping sessions in the galley, or not have enough nail files to beautify themselves between those arduous meal services ... and that's just the blokes

But seriously, I'm not saying it's an easy life, but it ain't rocket science either. There are times when I think I would be quite happy to do that job, for their salary, especially when I fly somewhere long-haul in cattle class, work for two days, then get the same crew on the flight back, after they've been fully rested! It's a tough life!
Old Feb 5, 2010, 6:40 am
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Hrmph, got LHR-LAX-LHR around the start of March. Sort of forgot about the strike. Surely long-hauls will be operating?

I think I'll chance it that as a Gold flying paid-J, BA will somehow sort me out if my flight's cancelled, as I've always been relatively well looked after by them before.

If the worst happened and I was left stranded by BA and had to fork out myself for alternative flights, I wouldn't be flying them again for a good while.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 6:41 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Holiday has a full back up plane and other contingency
Oh the affluent life-styles of our resident mods ... private jet on stand-by please ...
Old Feb 5, 2010, 6:42 am

Programs: AA PLT, PC PLT, BAEC, QFF
Originally Posted by Lobengula
There's no guarantee that the 25K comp will happen again.
In their FAQ they say if the flight's cancelled BAEC members will still get miles.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...q/public/en_gb

I wonder if that applies to other OW program members flying on BA?

I'm flying LHR-SYD in late Feb and returning on 3 Mar... While I'm not too keen to get stranded, the thought of an extended trip in Sydney isn't too bad either.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gms
Oh the affluent life-styles of our resident mods ... private jet on stand-by please ...
Take one sheet of A4 and fold...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.