Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

ok...despite a potential strike, do you still book?

Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Today is last day of sale and I am still on the fence about going from PHX to London next month because of the potential strike. I am wondering about you flyers. Are you still booking no matter what's happening with BA?

If sale is over after midnight, any chance it go cheaper if they are having trouble filling due to turmoil within BA?

I know i am annoying for asking but I have been wondering. lol

Thanks.

Last edited by lori in az; Feb 4, 2010 at 11:21 am
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Sale has a few more days to run in the UK, but yes, I booked for April, June and August I dont suppose the strike will come to much,
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Silver
About an hour ago I jumped off the fence and did just that - I booked a six day trip to CPT at the beginning of next month.
I know that if one or all of my flights are cancelled I will have the option to cancel the booking and get a full refund and as my trip isn't essential, nor is there a hotel booking involved it made the decision easier - yes I'd like a few days of sunshine in SA but if a strike means it doesn't happen, its not the end of the world. I guess it depends on your individual circumstances and how important the trip is.

But don't dither for too long like I did and miss the 28 day advance booking window so you end up going a day later than you originally wanted and on different flight times to those you originally wanted!
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:30 am

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
I have a non-essential daytrip ARN-LHR, March 6. If there's a strike I will just postpone it a week or two.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:32 am

TOP TIP: Book some fully refundable tickets hope there is a strike and claim 25000 miles, If there is no strike just cash them back in.

Joejet
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by joejet
TOP TIP: Book some fully refundable tickets hope there is a strike and claim 25000 miles, If there is no strike just cash them back in.

Joejet
There's no guarantee that the 25K comp will happen again.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I'm flying BA F end of March. Fingers crossed...
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS , AA, Hilton, Hyatt, Kimpton, Hertz
I had to book a short hop from LHR to ZRH in late March returning April 11. Although my preference was BA as I was connecting from AA and wanted to stay Oneworld, I booked LX. I can't afford to be delayed by a few days and if there is a strike my thinking is that it is the European flights that will see the greatest impact.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lori in az
Today is last day of sale and I am still on the fence about going from PHX to London next month because of the potential strike. I am wondering about you flyers. Are you still booking no matter what's happening with BA?

If sale is over after midnight, any chance it go cheaper if they are having trouble filling due to turmoil within BA?

I know i am annoying for asking but I have been wondering. lol

Thanks.
For the sake of saving a few quid I wouldn't, especially if you really have to travel.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: Mucci! (and BA Gold, HH Dia etc.)
Originally Posted by Lobengula
I have a non-essential daytrip ARN-LHR, March 6. If there's a strike I will just postpone it a week or two.
- the way you described this trip earlier, I'd guess you'd not be very happy at postponing that day of joy!
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA Exec
I'm hazarding a guess here but I believe a large proportion of longhaul flights will continue to go during any strike due to any gaps in the number of required crews being filled by volunteer staff - they've had a higher number of volunteers than they expected. That's not a guarantee though.

With any disruption , BA is likely to be very flexible with regards to refunds or changes.

It's your decision.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by chad3
- the way you described this trip earlier, I'd guess you'd not be very happy at postponing that day of joy!
No, I really want my "ego-day" But postponing it a week or two is ok.

Hopefully my LAX trip later in April is outside the danger zone That is a trip where I really can't move dates (convention in LAS)
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I'm tempted to book if there is a strike, just to see how the volunteer crews do - anyone else up for a BA strike DO?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Lobengula
There's no guarantee that the 25K comp will happen again.
I know, hope its 50k this time nothing to loose though, just get the right ticket, its like playing roulette.

5th March my bet.

Joejet
Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:07 pm

Booked wife and her sister ARN-LHR-JFK out March 3rd and home March 6th.

Booked myself and wife ARN-LHR-JFK-BGI out April 1st home 11th... so it could get quite ugly at home in other words.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.