Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lack of meal choice in F

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2010, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by dunk
This TR http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/163716/ highlights the differences between LX and BA F. And it would seem the LX crew get a better deal too
It really is laughable how bad BA F food is in comparison with that. We flew LHR-JNB-LHR with BA in F last week and while the outbound food was passable the return catering was really poor. None of the choices looked particularly interesting and I ended up having Chilean (sic!) salmon, which was a very small piece of standard smoked salmon wrapped around a MASSIVE gloop of cream cheese, and the pork fillet which was so dry I had to take a glug of wine with every mouthful . I have long since stopped ordering the beef fillet on BA for exactly the same reason, and it is interesting to see from this report that LX can deliver it served medium.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 3:32 am

Never having used F (CW every time), I would be extremely peeved if my 1st and second choice were unavailable. The cost of the ticket should ensure this never happens. If I then discovered, having paid thousands that I was being treated as a second class passenger because those around me had "status", I think I would spontaneously combust!

I can't actually ever see myself paying for F, CW is a great product and perfectly adequate for my humble needs, and the price differential means (to me) you are going a long way down the road of diminishing returns.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 3:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, GF Silver, IC Royal Ambass, Marriott Gold, TK Elite
Apart from the inconvenience of connecting at Zurich, LX F class knocks spots off BA, especially if you get the newly configured A330. And the Pommery Cuvee Louise champagne is one of my favourites. So far, never had a disappointing experience with LX. Having said that, not had a poor BA F experience but many have been underwhelming. The whole product needs a good rethink, especially on the ground, and not just some cosmetic touch ups by changing seats and blanket styles.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 4:58 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
You are a strange and wonderful person, LTNphobia - gracious, self-effacing, kind. Air travel would benefit from more of your type.
I agree with you Cheetah_SA!
Old Feb 4, 2010, 5:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by NotHome
I know that this might sound unbelievable in this forum, but my wife and I just complete 3 sectors in CX 1st. 2 longhaul and one 4 hour flight. We choose different meals from each other in every case and none of the 6 mains were noticably better and in some case less interesting than the typical BA 1st meal.

With the exception of the Krug and cavair/cold smoked salmon dish BA F catering compaired quite favorably to CX.
I'd say pretty much the same about TG F as you say about CX. The Dom Perignon and the oscietra are things you unfortunately won't find on BA F. But in other respects I can't say the catering is better - probably about the same. And the flexibilty on BA in my experience (although not the OP's) is much better. Half-way through a 12-hour daytime flight I wanted a substantial plate of food - not a 5-course meal (we got two of those, at the beginning and end of the flight), but a decent bowl of pasta at least - a nice Thai chicken curry would have done fine. The TG crew were really struggling with the request but BA is really good at this sort of thing.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by aristoph
It really is laughable how bad BA F food is in comparison with that. We flew LHR-JNB-LHR with BA in F last week and while the outbound food was passable the return catering was really poor. None of the choices looked particularly interesting and I ended up having Chilean (sic!) salmon, which was a very small piece of standard smoked salmon wrapped around a MASSIVE gloop of cream cheese, and the pork fillet which was so dry I had to take a glug of wine with every mouthful . I have long since stopped ordering the beef fillet on BA for exactly the same reason, and it is interesting to see from this report that LX can deliver it served medium.
I have found (though I have a VLML normally) that the ex LHR catering is good, outstations food not so good.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I'm glad I read this thread, and especially LTN Phobia's post. I am the ultimate omnivore, and would usually be happy with almost anything on the menu. Yet I usually just order one item in a straightforward manner, just because that's what I'm asked to do. From now on I will try to remember to volunteer that I would be happy with other items as well.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
I'd say pretty much the same about TG F as you say about CX. The Dom Perignon and the oscietra are things you unfortunately won't find on BA F. But in other respects I can't say the catering is better - probably about the same. And the flexibilty on BA in my experience (although not the OP's) is much better. Half-way through a 12-hour daytime flight I wanted a substantial plate of food - not a 5-course meal (we got two of those, at the beginning and end of the flight), but a decent bowl of pasta at least - a nice Thai chicken curry would have done fine. The TG crew were really struggling with the request but BA is really good at this sort of thing.
I thought the food was a lot worse on TG, including the lobster I pre-ordered. Plus you only get a choice of your main course. Huh?! On all four sectors I did, the DP didn't last beyond pre-takeoff drinks. On one sector there were just 4 of us which suggests only one bottle of the stuff was loaded. Didn't really bother me as F&B on planes doesn't excite me in the least. Familiarity breeds contempt I suppose .
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Skimo
I thought the food was a lot worse on TG, including the lobster I pre-ordered. Plus you only get a choice of your main course. Huh?! On all four sectors I did, the DP didn't last beyond pre-takeoff drinks. On one sector there were just 4 of us which suggests only one bottle of the stuff was loaded. Didn't really bother me as F&B on planes doesn't excite me in the least. Familiarity breeds contempt I suppose .
Which route did you fly?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Which route did you fly?
LHR-BKK-SYD return. Honestly, the only part of the trip that impressed me was the famous BKK TG ground service.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver
What would annoy me was if a gold who was op-upped (to F) got a meal choice before me.
This happened on my last trip and it left me raging. Now no way I would pay for BA
F or J because of that. Happy to use miles, 241, etc but no longer a service I consider paying full whack for.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Skimo
LHR-BKK-SYD return. Honestly, the only part of the trip that impressed me was the famous BKK TG ground service.
It was the best F experience I have had.....although I only have four other BA F flights to compare it to.

Loved the open feel to the 747 F cabin - 10 seats compared to BA's 14 made a huge difference and made it far more relaxing.
Didn't have any problems with the food or the lack of Champagne.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by sl1ppy
What would annoy me was if a gold who was op-upped (to F) got a meal choice before me.
This happened on my last trip and it left me raging. Now no way I would pay for BA
F or J because of that. Happy to use miles, 241, etc but no longer a service I consider paying full whack for.
How can you be sure he was a Gold and got upgraded?

If it happened as you say that was down to the crew making a mistake.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Great idea......I'd order a steak and kidney pudding with chips,mushy peas and gravy from Pete's chippy in Southport. ^
Oooh, that sounds perfect! Proper pudding, yum! Babbies yed.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver
How can you be sure he was a Gold and got upgraded?

If it happened as you say that was down to the crew making a mistake.
Was chatting to him in the departure area so know 100% that was the case.
No jealousy at all as I've also been op-upped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.