Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lack of meal choice in F

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2010, 3:54 pm

I find it insulting.

Paying some 5000EUR and upwards for 'First' there is no excuse for not having enough for at least two options for each PAX.

The hype about F on the website just makes it worse. There is nothing first class about the food in BA F.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 4:00 pm

Programs: United 1K
BA food in first class is fine but their champagne is excellent.

Programs: AS , AA, Hilton, Hyatt, Kimpton, Hertz
I know that this might sound unbelievable in this forum, but my wife and I just complete 3 sectors in CX 1st. 2 longhaul and one 4 hour flight. We choose different meals from each other in every case and none of the 6 mains were noticably better and in some case less interesting than the typical BA 1st meal.

With the exception of the Krug and cavair/cold smoked salmon dish BA F catering compaired quite favorably to CX.

Originally Posted by joejet
Why don't BA First passengers get a menu a few days before and select what they want on a flight, At least then people would get what they want. I know I would rather preselect a few days in advance than not get what I wanted. (I'm a bit of a fussy eater).

Perhaps the you first team could even do this introducing themselves and making sure customers are aware of CCR, arrivals lounges and arrange extras like cars on collection etc.
There could then be some extra first meals on board or just club meals for op-ups and the crew to eat after everyone is happy.

Joejet

Because that's too customer oriented.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by jaguar
BA food in first class is fine but their champagne is excellent.
Not currently. Bolly 1999 is no more and from recent reports not even Bolly 2000, only Lanson 1999
Old Feb 3, 2010, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by KenJohn
Premier and Gold card holders usually get first pickings where there is more demand than supply of a given item. Where there are more than one Goldcard holder, then CIV scores can come into play.
You do not want to annoy pax that regularly spend on BA flights now do you?
If I am in First I expect to be treated such and would be very annoyed if other First customers got a better deal; after all I'm paying. If I went to a posh restaurant would I accept poorer food because I never been there before? Well, a Michelin inspector would not.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 5:27 pm

In the internet age they should allow you to pre order your meals - then everyone would be happy.........
Old Feb 3, 2010, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Speedbirdjclass
In the internet age they should allow you to pre order your meals - then everyone would be happy.........

Great idea......I'd order a steak and kidney pudding with chips,mushy peas and gravy from Pete's chippy in Southport. ^
Old Feb 3, 2010, 6:07 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Greenpen
If I am in First I expect to be treated such and would be very annoyed if other First customers got a better deal; after all I'm paying. If I went to a posh restaurant would I accept poorer food because I never been there before? Well, a Michelin inspector would not.
Well somebody has to be first and last, so there has to be some sort of criteria. Not everyone is going to be happy one way or the other so it is natural that BA intend to look after it's most frequent fliers first. Not that it always happens in any case
Old Feb 3, 2010, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Well somebody has to be first and last,
Crew first passengers last.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Well somebody has to be first and last, so there has to be some sort of criteria. Not everyone is going to be happy one way or the other so it is natural that BA intend to look after it's most frequent fliers first. Not that it always happens in any case
But this simply should NOT MATTER, and everyone should be happy@! They need to cater at a level that this is not an issue.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:31 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by joejet
Why don't BA First passengers get a menu a few days before and select what they want on a flight, At least then people would get what they want. I know I would rather preselect a few days in advance than not get what I wanted. (I'm a bit of a fussy eater).
SQ do it. It's called Book the Cook and is available on flights from SIN. And in J! And then they still over cater in case you don't like the look of what you pre-ordered.

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I'm normally quite laid back when it comes to meal choices (although I don't like overcooked fish which is easy to do especially when reheating, so I tend to avoid fish).

I look at the menu, and if everything is OK for me, I say to the cabin crew to give me what's left because other passengers may have a stronger preference. Or, if I don't mind all but one etc, I'd say 'please don't give me [whatever] but anything else is fine, so leave me to the last'. It's appreciated by the crew and it helps breed further indecisiveness in me.

I bet there are a lot of passengers who don't have a strong preference but just pick one for the sake of picking one. Maybe they could have a system of 'strong preference'?

I would say that running out of meal choices so badly as the OP has reported is really poor though.
You are a strange and wonderful person, LTNphobia - gracious, self-effacing, kind. Air travel would benefit from more of your type.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Just to clarify, we were on a Amex 2-4-1 ticket. But ticket type and status would seem to be irrelevant here. Can I Help You said earlier that for an F cabin of 7 passengers the meals loaded would be 4 beef, 3 chicken, 2 fish, and 2 of the other choice (which in this case was another beef dish). Even if we had all been GCH it was likely that at least one of us (and potentially several of us) would not get either their first or second choice. As the remaining dishes were all beef this doesn't represent much of a choice - and can in no way be described as "First class" service.

In addition, surely if a passenger has paid for an F ticket (whether by cash or miles) they are entitled to expect that either their first or second choice is available?

The lack of any acknowledgement of my feedback just rubs salt in the wound!
Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:52 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Originally Posted by Jennyjo
The lack of any acknowledgement of my feedback just rubs salt in the wound!
Was salt your first choice of condiment ?

This TR http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/163716/ highlights the differences between LX and BA F. And it would seem the LX crew get a better deal too
Old Feb 4, 2010, 3:25 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

I look at the menu, and if everything is OK for me, I say to the cabin crew to give me what's left because other passengers may have a stronger preference. Or, if I don't mind all but one etc, I'd say 'please don't give me [whatever] but anything else is fine, so leave me to the last'. It's appreciated by the crew and it helps breed further indecisiveness in me.

I do the same in CW. I just say "Anything will do, whatever you have the most of - but if anything is left over at the end I'll have a second main course please, doesn't matter what."

I really like the act of eating on a plane, with a nice wine - so the quantity and timing are more important features of the dining experience than whether it's lamb or chicken or fish.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.