Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Do you already have a Paypal account, and with a verified credit card attached to it? That might help.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:46 am

Programs: EY Platinum
Charlie Whiskey I have had the same problem and have given up trying. My address was coming up correctly yet I was getting this error.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:24 am

Programs: AMEX PP;BAEC Bronze;Tesco CC Preferred;
Shuttle-Bored, Raffles and csdf : thank you all.

To answer your queries:

a. Indeed I use the address offered by entering the postcode, which is exactly what is on the Electoral Register.

b. The BA Amex PP is verified and was confirmed as such by Paypal on the 'phone and also that it is my prime card; I also have credit on my Paypal account and use it regularly (and thus this card) to buy things. However, I might re-verify it and see if that helps.

And if that doesn't work I will give it a rest for a month or so and try again.

To come back to my original post, Raffles (The Master!), I presume there is no other Visa/Maestro card that Amex will top up as a purchase, and thus does not incur the 3% fee?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:44 am

AMEX Double Charging

Hi,

Usually easy for me to keep track of my transactions so i very rarely review them. However about 2 weeks ago by 'random chance' i decided to have a look at my transactions in December and i noticed that i was double charged twice(2 seperate identical orders were charged for 4 times). This was with Tesco and i immediately contacted both Tesco and Amex: Amex insisted it was Tescos fault so off i went to contact Tesco whom said it was at the fault of Amex as they only took and received payment twice(for the 2 identical orders). So i went back to Amex who said it was at the fault of Tesco and they would chase at their end and ask if i could do the same.

Nothing came of it so i called again on Friday, this time Amex said it was not there fault again and they would raise a credit on my acc and retrieve the payment. To assist them i again sent an extensive email & letter with as much info as possible hoping to resolve the situation.

Today i received a Voicemail from a Tesco manager stating that 100% the fault is with Amex, & they have only taken and recieved payment twice. This was shortly followed by a letter from Amex stating that they can confirm it was a duplicate charge, they apologise and they have applied the credits to my account. Now i can only assume from this that the fault is at Amex's end and they admit this.

What a hassle and a waste of time, its a good thing i noticed it. Its £90 that i would have been down, and what grates on me is the effort it took to rectify it. After the initial disputing the charge with Amex some 2weeks ago, nothing came of it until i decided to chase it up further on Friday.

Should i send them a letter or email, perhaps they would compensate my time with some BA miles ;-D

How best to go about that??

Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Charlie Whiskey
To come back to my original post, Raffles (The Master!), I presume there is no other Visa/Maestro card that Amex will top up as a purchase, and thus does not incur the 3% fee?
We haven't found one yet, although that is not to say that there isn't one out there ....
Old Feb 15, 2010, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
MR to BA miles offer

Can't find the leaflet I got in the post with the double BA miles when transferring MR points.

Was the expiry date for this offer Feb 20th?

Edited to add: Found the answer in another thread.

Last edited by clubman; Feb 15, 2010 at 9:31 am
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:57 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Has anyone been able to get the annual fee for the card waived this year? It used to be a simple matter of a phone call to Amex, politely stating it seemed very high and punitive when viewed alongside my annual spend on the card.

Forgot to try it last year but have just noiced £75 on my January statement....and £75 is £75 after all
Old Feb 16, 2010, 2:39 am
Original Poster

They're still waiving my fee due to holding the Platinum charge card - they've now managed to update their systems which means that the fee level is set to zero, rather than having to call up and get it removed retrospectively. But hadn't heard about the BA card having the fee waived due to spend - though they did something similar on my Plat card last year - reducing the fee from £300 to £150.

Originally Posted by BOH
Forgot to try it last year but have just noiced £75 on my January statement....and £75 is £75 after all
£75 seems an odd amount - do you have the now discontinued Premium card? (i.e. the middle one, rather than the basic free one, or the £150 Premium Plus card).
Old Feb 20, 2010, 9:04 am

My husband and I have an AMEX card each, he is the main account holder and I have the additional card.
He also has a paypal top up card
The paypal account is in my name but is also linked to my husbands email.
I've added my AMEX as a payment option to my paypal account and verified it.
This morning I activated the paypal top up and requested a £1000 top up.
The £1000 hasn't been added to the top up card.
Is this because the AMEX I tried topping up from is my AMEX and not my husbands?
Or does it take a few hours to go on?
Thank you
Old Feb 20, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by tyroleandancer
This morning I activated the paypal top up and requested a £1000 top up.
The £1000 hasn't been added to the top up card.
Is this because the AMEX I tried topping up from is my AMEX and not my husbands?
Or does it take a few hours to go on?
Thank you
It takes about a day to go on.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by MilesCollector
Thank you
Old Feb 20, 2010, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It goes on at 2pm the next day, as long as you do it by close of business (not sure exactly when that is) the previous day. I found this by trial and error, it is not written anywhere.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Priority Club Plat Amb
Just experienced a small problem with my Paypal Topup card.

I topped up the card this week using the Amex with no problems.
I saw the debit appear on my Amex account, but it didn't appear in my Topup account.

Then yesterday I received an email from Paypal, saying the transaction is being refunded because I have exceeded my monthly £2000 limit.
When I looked, the top up I processed in Jan didn't actually clear until 1st Feb

Currently I'm £14 away from triggering my 2-4-1, but I know that the last payment to paypal is being refunded to by amex account and should appear in the next few days.

Just hoping my latest card spend transactions clear first to trigger the voucher. As the redemption availability is disappearing fast.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by paul.goffin
Just experienced a small problem with my Paypal Topup card.

I topped up the card this week using the Amex with no problems.
I saw the debit appear on my Amex account, but it didn't appear in my Topup account.

Then yesterday I received an email from Paypal, saying the transaction is being refunded because I have exceeded my monthly £2000 limit.
When I looked, the top up I processed in Jan didn't actually clear until 1st Feb

Currently I'm £14 away from triggering my 2-4-1, but I know that the last payment to paypal is being refunded to by amex account and should appear in the next few days.

Just hoping my latest card spend transactions clear first to trigger the voucher. As the redemption availability is disappearing fast.

Thats a shame
I've added £1000 x 2 as I thought the first hadn't gone thru
I assume I'll have a message from Paypal soon.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:58 pm

Programs: F
Several, in my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.