Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Children in Lounge revenge...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:11 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Guys, really...

First of all the use of the word 'assault' is darn right ludicrous. I purposely arranged a collision that could have just as easily happened by accident. In fact, everyone including the kid and the parents thought it was an accident (a few bystanders caught on that I caused it intentionally). It was this accident that initiated the opportunity for me to address both parents and kid on the behavior.

What surprised me was that given that this was indistinguishable from an accident the parents started blaming me first. They took no responsibility whatsoever.
+1.. That is my point... A lot of parents seem to not realize that they are responsible for their children's actions.

It is like some people want to have children but still live like they don't. Having children is a lifestyle changer. You don't get to hide in a corner while the rest of the lounge raises your children, and then blame them when poor Johnny falls... I see it all the time at MCO.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:15 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by HIDDY
[B]...

Go to where the parents are sitting and start running round their area bawling, shouting and generally being a nuisance......they might get the message. Of course you also run the risk of being carted off somewhere.
ROFL
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by another_shot
If someone (adult) will do it to my kid - he would have to visit hospital and probably stay there for some time.
Here we go again. Another threat of much more serious violence than the very mild matter of the original post.

It's amazing how emotional and out-of-control some of the responses have been. I just don't see there is a straightforward right or wrong answer. It's not so long ago that parents paid thought it right to pay very large school fees so that strangers could do a lot more violence to their children than tripping them up

Henkybaby, have you sent an invoice to the parents yet?
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
Here we go again. Another threat of much more serious violence than the very mild matter of the original post.

It's amazing how emotional and out-of-control some of the responses have been. I just don't see there is a straightforward right or wrong answer. It's not so long ago that parents paid thought it right to pay very large school fees so that strangers could do a lot more violence to their children than this.

Henkybaby, have you sent an invoice to the parents yet?
ROFL... Good post.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:24 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Keyboard Courage At It's Best

If someone (adult) will do it to my kid - he would have to visit hospital and probably stay there for some time. I don't care if I probably will have to pay some penalty.
Hey, we're impressed.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
+1.. That is my point... A lot of parents seem to not realize that they are responsible for their children's actions.

It is like some people want to have children but still live like they don't. Having children is a lifestyle changer. You don't get to hide in a corner while the rest of the lounge raises your children, and then blame them when poor Johnny falls... I see it all the time at MCO.
+2 Bravo...

Henky- will there be any action pics posted on A.net?
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
I was doing my best to get things vaguely on track by raising the issue of the layout of the lounge. I was there only a month ago, but can't quite recall. Oh well, I did my best.
I can help you out there. 1 Kid and parents are in the picture even...

Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:35 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Lets say that a child is a total pest in any given situation. The parents do absolutely nothing. The child's behavior is even a risk to others. Talking to him/her does not work and the parents shrug you. What should you do? Nothing? Wait for him/her to run into someone by accident? Leave the lounge so they can have free reign? Or make the child aware of the risk it's taking?
It appears that the OP's action was done as a last resort after other measures failed. Sometimes you just have to take matters into your own hands.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rbwpi
It appears that the OP's action was done as a last resort after other measures failed. Sometimes you just have to take matters into your own hands.
Hindsight is 20/20 vision and maybe I could have better ignored them. All in all there was no harm done and the best case scenario is that both kids and parents learned something. I am of the conviction that it does take a (global) village to raise a child and overprotecting parents are the reason so many children misbehave. Having another adult point out (nicely or otherwise) that their behavior is intolerable is not a bad thing. Better you do it yourself of course.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:42 am

Programs: EB*G, BT VIP
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
Wouldn't it be better to teach the child to behave considerately in the first place? What kind of example does violence (real or threatened) of this type give? Dear oh dear.
My kids behaving very well. I have no idea what really has happened there, but it is only parents who have the right to touch their children.
Pretty easy: you did something to my kid - you are in hospital. You did something to my wife - you are in hospital. And my lawyer will settle the rest. You can call it vilolence. I'm calling it assymetric response.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Wow, 70 posts in just a few hours! Is it a crash? A strike? A fat person taking up the space of a skinny person? No! It's a child in the lounge thread!
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:49 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Laat kinderen kinderen zijn toch -- niet gewoon Hollandse, h?

I'll leave it to Henk to explain what this means.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
My kids behaving very well. I have no idea what really has happened there, but it is only parents who have the right to touch their children.
Pretty easy: you did something to my kid - you are in hospital. You did something to my wife - you are in hospital. And my lawyer will settle the rest. You can call it vilolence. I'm calling it assymetric response.
If your children are that well behaved in a premium lounge and cabin, then the point is mute for this thread. Actually I applaud you for teaching your children how to act in these situations.

I am not advocating harming someone else's children, but maybe Henky should have tripped up one of the parents.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold, UA 1P , Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Lucky you they didn't get hurt. I tell you if that were my kids...
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheAAdmiral
maybe Henky should have tripped up one of the parents.
I would have if they had bothered getting of their *ss...

I am all for kids being kids (the translation of the Dutch statement) but I am also for children learning, by experience or otherwise.

Never had I expected this topic to take off like it did. Should I ask BA for compensation miles since the family was British after all?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.