Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is BA First better than NZ Business?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:16 pm

Programs: british airways
Originally Posted by swiss_global
I'd not pay any more for the BA F than for NZ J. However, I'd pay a GBP 220 extra for a AA F instead of US Y connecting flight ...
Only you can decide, so go ahead and try it out - for only 220 it's worth trying and if you are lucky enough to get 1A/K you will really get a seat with a view.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:23 pm

The seats look just like the VS upper seats, however it does look stark and sterile and not as roomy as BA F

JJ
VS Upper
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:30 pm

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Having done both, BA F anytime. NZ have licensed VS's UC Suite but they don't have the bar. W gets the same meals as F and the crew on the "returning" segments (LAX-AKL) seem to have the dreaded VS return fligh ennui.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:34 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Hmm, judging by this pic, its not half as private as BA F. It looks like it could be very claustrophobic down the front too.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._747_cabin.jpg

I'm hoping to LHR-LAX it on NZ with DC miles, so Ill be able to do a direct comparison , not sure if I'll ever get the availability though!
Rows 6 & 7 have cupboards in front of the seat. Row 7 is the most private (just as private as BA F). Row 4 is further forward and thus not private.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:48 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
NZ C is much better than BA C IMO, with far more comfortable seat & bed, better food drink service and IFE (can't beat gate to gate).
Indeed! NZ C (both in terms of hard and soft products) is massively superior to BA J. I even prefer it to CX J, and have gone out of my way to chose NZ between HKG and LHR. The food is a lot better than BA J and the IFE is light years ahead. No cold shrink wrapped sarnies as the second J meal on a 10 hour flight on NZ!

I would however, ceteris paribus choose BA F over NZ J.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Thus, given NZ C is both cheaper and (presumably) requires much less miles, I'd go with NZ for this flight.
+1.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Valueseeker
Does anyone have the relevant experience to compare NZ Business Class with BA First? I am trying to decide which to go for on a future flight LHR-LAX.

I have never flown with BA. I have flown the LHR-LAX route with NZ and was very impressed. I flew with Mrs V in seats 1A/1K right in the nose. Excellent service, decent food, as much variety and quantity of booze as I can manage, large flatbed seat and good AVOD. With access to the BMI T1 lounge, I am not sure how BA can beat this.

So other than to have tried BA F, is there any reason to choose it over NZ J on this route? It will cost me approx 220 extra for BA, although that would give me LAX-LAS in F with AA, rather than in Y with US.
Forgive me for asking, but have you flown F before? I ask because until 2008, I hadn't and wondered with a number of decent C products out there, just what it could offer.

I haven't flow BA F yet (MIA in July) but have flown LX, LH and TG. I have flown NZ C from LAX-LHR.

I found the NZ bed a little uncomfortable, the suite is too narrow and I don't like having to crane my neck to look outside!

An F cabin is (usually) smaller and more intimate. The F seat may only be a little larger but the abundance of space around you makes it feel bigger and more comfortable. I find F wines to be only marginally better, but there is usually a larger selection and you are more likely to find a decent port / dessert wine / brandy than in C.

Service in F is far more flexible. A decent F cabin crew really will serve you your meals when you want, subject to you being a little flexible about what is left and timing.

Having said all that, I'd be tempted to burn BMI miles before BA miles. I know that people have predicted the end for DC for some time now but I fear it to be soon.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sat in 2k on the NZ038 now. I had forgotten that the ottoman prevents you from actually stretching your legs out straight! One big plus to BA F and J for me. The Concorde room wipes the floor with the BD lounge and especially the horrid, sterile Star lounge.

Lovely crew and ground staff though, and PROPER priority boarding!
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=Deckard;13198625 NZ have licensed VS's UC Suite but they don't have the bar..[/QUOTE]

The lack of bar could be seen as good thing!
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:33 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
The lack of bar could be seen as good thing!
Not if you can get a seat AWAY from it - best of both worlds... the wine list on NZ is confusing too - "here's what we may have".
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:11 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QFWP, IHG Plat, *wood Gold
My vote is with BA F

NZ C is a fantastic product, i like the slightly extra length on the bed compared to BA J. the food is really good consistently and the crew always very friendly. The concierge on the flights is 'interesting' but not a swaying factor in choice!
Against NZ C i would say if you want the whole experience (eg lounges) then BA F and the use of the T5 lounges - there is no contest.
As an ex-pat of nearly three years living in NZ, i actually pine for a little British-ness that BA brings (sounds odd i know) So if between BA F and NZ C with no mileage / cash coming into the equation then BA F would take it.
What are the flight departure/arrivals like in comparison - anything to sway you in convenience?
I really like the NZ LAX lounge too for on the way back perhaps?
djsteve
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
BA First (just)

BA First will give you better food and probably better service given the ratio of staff to passengers. Nice seat given the extra length you get but I probably prefer NZ J for sleeping.

NZ J will give you good wine and fairly good food. I always think the service is good as well, less formal than BA F. The seat get's mixed reviews, it's the Virgin Club seat which personally I really like for sleeping as it's quite wide.

The key difference between BA F and NZ J will be the privacy of the cabin, NZ is fantastic if you're with a partner and you get row 1 in a 747, not so hot if you don't like looking directly across at a stranger for 11 hours.

My vote would be BA F, just behind NZ J and then rd place for BA J. How have you managed to get the prices so close though?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
In reality will this not come down to redemption availabilty?

NZ redemption seats are difficult to get at the best of times...
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In brief, NZ C is an excellent Business product which beats BA on board in every category except for the seat mode. However it is behind BA F on

* Wine - a lot
* Food - a bit
* Premium spirits
* Nespresso coffee
* Seat mode - VS suite is a crap seat
* Space around the seat
* Crew to pax ratio
* PJ's
* Lounge at LHR
* Softer bed and better mattress pad

All relatively little thing, but for the sake of a couple of hundred quid - plus not having to fly US - I'd go BA
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by swiss_global
Bottom line, I'd not pay any more for the BA F than for NZ J. However, I'd pay a GBP 220 extra for a AA F instead of US Y connecting flight ...
Now I normally travel in paid F on US domestic flights, except when it's a short flight on AA (so my status will get me an exit row booked in advance). But even I would doubt it is worth 220 on that route. LAX to LAS is a very short flight. I used to live in LA and one wouldn't think twice about driving to Las Vegas - it's significantly nearer than San Francisco.

I guess it depends a bit on the plane. If there's a delay and you're stuck on the ground for an hour, will Y be bearable or not? Some of the planes used for short hops are very cramped indeed, and in that case you'd be wishing you were in F. Not that booking into F always helps. I was once supposed to be in F on a United Airlines 757 IAD-ATL and due to a delay in the incoming filght from LHR found myself stuck in a one-class United Express sardine tin, with a take-off delay too.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, VS
Thanks for all the replies. Still not a clear cut decision, given the extra cost of BA F. Availability is always an issue and while NZ J can be very tricky, especially for 2 pax, BA F is wide open on the LAX route.

I will make a decision over the next few weeks. 220 is not a great deal extra for the BA F experience and use of the Concorde Lounge so I might well go for it if the dates fit.

I should have explained earlier that I am veggie so the veggie option is probably some bland prepackaged option in BA F (as it was in NZ J) unless someone knows otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.