Wiki Posts
Search

Full marks to BA until....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2010, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Full marks to BA until....

...they lost my luggage. Flying last night LGW-GLA. Went to Club/First check-in. Only one desk open and a group checking in guns. The check-in lady realised I was waiting, called her supervisor over who took me to the front of the economy check-in queue. Well done BA.

Pleasant welcome in the first class lounge; the lounge dragons kept us fully up-to-date about the status of the inbound plane/crew, the reasons why it couldn't get on stand (not all stands were accessible because of the snow and ice). Well done BA.

At gate Golds and Silvers were asked to come forward for boarding first. Well done BA.

Despite their delay the on-board staff were cheerful, chatty and helpful. Well done BA.

Arrived at GLA, waited for bag. And waited and waited. No sir, it's not on the plane explains the lost luggage man whilst his colleague went and checked the other belts "just in case". Very apologetic and helpful. A schadenfreude-esque well done to BA.

If it hadn't been for the loss of the case it would have been an almost perfect performance by BA at the end of what must have been a very stressful week for all involved. Let's hope they now deliver my case in one piece.

The only stupid person in this story is me. I probably could have taken the case on board with me but my other hand luggage was very heavy with two laptops amongst other things and I was fed up of dragging the other bag around so I checked it in. This is the second time this has happened in the last year so perhaps I should have learned my lesson by now.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
As I was going through arrival after getting back from my trip, a lady from baggage services was in the process of directing a long line of baggage trollies from the baggage hall...

She told me they were part of the 12,000 bags that will be getting sent by courier to their owners following the disruption... So hopefully will arrive sooner rather than later.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 7:32 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tuff
Well done BA
This is what it should be like - and usually is. Just wish it was 100%.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Phone call this morning - the bag has arrived at the airport and will be with me by 1300. At 1255 the door bell and there was my suitcase! In the meantime my partner had gone shopping for some clothes for me. I wonder if I will be able to claim that back on the insurance?
Old Jan 9, 2010, 8:50 am

Programs: Hilton Silver VIP, Overworked Cabin Crew
Hi Tuff
Its nice to read such a positive review of BA Gatwick and its also good to hear that the fly in the ointment re your bag has now been remedied

Time after time as crew at Gatwick, it seems that we are getting things mostly right and then one thing happens to spoil it all and cloud our customer's view of us, especially as what happened to spoil your otherwise good experience, happened after you left the aircraft and has possibly overshadowed your otherwise positive experiences that day.

That said, Im glad that Gatwick is now trying to re-gain full momentum, Im not due to fly again until next Saturday after my annual exams, anyone coming to Tampa?
Old Jan 9, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
I don't often fly from LGW, but every time I have, I find that the staff do everything by the book including priority checkin and boarding.

Wish that lot at LHR could read!
Old Jan 9, 2010, 3:31 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Must agree the LGW team are great; for instance, in the lounge they always check the flight for you as you arrive in my experience. ^ Presumably LGW is too big to get outsourced?
Old Jan 9, 2010, 4:32 pm

Programs: MUCCI Master of the Pots de Miel (mmm!). No greater than this can any mortal rise.
Originally Posted by tuff
Phone call this morning - the bag has arrived at the airport and will be with me by 1300. At 1255 the door bell and there was my suitcase! In the meantime my partner had gone shopping for some clothes for me. I wonder if I will be able to claim that back on the insurance?
The contrast between US carriers would handle this and the way BA did cannot be more stark. The OP reminds me, once again, of why I love BA and still think it's among the most outstanding operations in the sky. ^
Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:18 am

Programs: qantas platinum (OWE), hyatt platinum, hertz gold
Originally Posted by Turnus127
The contrast between US carriers would handle this and the way BA did cannot be more stark. ^
You gotta be kidding. BA (3 years ago) lost so much luggage they ended up burning it (and/or selling it). My daughter's included. Someone can probably remind me - was it upwards of 250 000 pieces lost?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
Presumably LGW is too big to get outsourced?
We can but live in hope.

Thank you for your kinds words about the LGW team.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 6:28 am

Programs: Back to BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by galleyslave
Its nice to read such a positive review of BA Gatwick and its also good to hear that the fly in the ointment re your bag has now been remedied

Time after time as crew at Gatwick, it seems that we are getting things mostly right and then one thing happens to spoil it all and cloud our customer's view of us, especially as what happened to spoil your otherwise good experience, happened after you left the aircraft and has possibly overshadowed your otherwise positive experiences that day.
My personal experience of Gatwick crews has been totally positive. CW yesterday to Tampa being a prime example. Attentive service delivered with a smile. Any problems not crew related (broken forward toilet door and fainting passenger)

I have three more 2166/2167 flights this month and look forward to them all
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: Hilton Silver VIP, Overworked Cabin Crew
Originally Posted by Northern_Flyer
My personal experience of Gatwick crews has been totally positive. CW yesterday to Tampa being a prime example. Attentive service delivered with a smile. Any problems not crew related (broken forward toilet door and fainting passenger)

I have three more 2166/2167 flights this month and look forward to them all
Thats great to hear! When are you returning from Tampa? I fly out on Saturday so will be bringing the flight back on Sunday evening
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: Back to BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by galleyslave
Thats great to hear! When are you returning from Tampa? I fly out on Saturday so will be bringing the flight back on Sunday evening
LGW 20th, Tampa 25th, LGW 30th.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:49 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, HHonors Diamond, Virgin Gold, BA Gold, Emirates Gold
I have to agree that the LGW service can be very positive. I have flown three times from GLA to LGW to BDA in CW last year (2009) and the GLA to LGW and LGW to BDA experience has always been impeccable. Shame I cant say the same about my LHR experiences!!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold (RIP), TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, IC RA, Hertz 5*
I have to agree the very few times I have flown from LGW it has been a most pleasant experience. I actually have 2 trips booked in the next few months from LGW (1 in Jan and 1 in Feb). I really do wish operations in LHR were more like LGW (particularly when it comes to priority boarding)!

Good work sunrisegirl & galleyslave and perhaps I'll see you in LGW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.