Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First Class Meal Experience [Dead insect in my salad]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: B A Gold Qatar Airways Privilege Gold Emirates Skywards Gold Hilton Gold Marriott Gold ICH Amb.

I would like to share with fellow Flyer talk members my experience on board BA 198 yesterday from Mumbai. The email to You First upon arrival is self-explanatory as is the subsequent reply.
Has anyone suffered a similar experience?

Executive Club Number: XXXXX214
Preferred method of communication: phone
Enquiry: Good evening,

Flight BA 198 04 November 2009 Booking Reference XXXXXX.

Executive Club XXXXX214

Today I flew on the above flight to London. I was booked in First Class seat 01A. I ordered the Russian salad from the menu for lunch. Half way through the meal I was horrified to discover a dead fly/insect/mosquito in the salad.
I reported this immediately to the Purser who has promised to report this dreadful situation upon arrival in London.

My appetite vanished and I ate nothing further on the flight drinking only bottled water.

Doubtless you will agree this situation not only poses a health risk to your passengers it is a totally unacceptable for First Class passengers (and frequent flyers as I am) to suffer such a shocking situation.

I left the flight very distressed and bitterly disappointed.

The only saving grace from this dreadful flight was the CSD and First Class Purser who did everything possible to rectify the situation. My thanks should be passed to them.

I trust you will take this complaint seriously and I look forward to your comments once an investigation has been carried out.

And the reply;

Dear Dr Sibbald

Thank you for your email

First of all please accept my sincerest apologies for your truly horrific experience.
I have forwarded it to our Customer Relations department for our First passengers. They will investigate
the incident and contact you in the near future.

If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards

Martti

British Airways You First
Opening hours: 7:30am-8pm daily
Direct email address: [email protected]

Last edited by Prospero; Nov 5, 2009 at 10:33 am Reason: to remove PNR
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Horrified, dreadful, shocking, distressed, disappointed and dreadful again.

Because of a itty bitty fly?

I dread to think what emotional breakdown you will suffer when you get a case of Delhi Belly.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:26 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Sounds like a reasonable complaint as well as a reasonable response. I am surprised this does not happen more often. Considering the number of insect critters around my place I find it amazing the few that get inside the house and in local restaurants.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Horrified, dreadful, shocking, distressed, disappointed and dreadful again.

Because of a itty bitty fly?
I agree....as I read the OP I was thinking..."way too dramatic" While not a great experience.... it happens.

This sounds like a "miles fishing" to me.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Blue
I stake my house on the fact the OP has probably eaten far worse (not knowingly).

Some people just get on with it some make a fuss. It depends what the OP want to get out of it. If its just a matter of feedback then ^ but if its for compo or free flights then shame on them.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I think a dead bug in your salad is unfortunate, but far short of horrific.

Of course, what the purser should have replied instead, when told of the fly, in a hushed voice: "don't say that too loud, or else everyone will want one"
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Trouble with this is and I am in no way saying your are guilty of it but I'm sure others have been in the past. What's to stop someone taking a little bug on to the plane with the intent of adding it to the meal and then complain in the hope of getting some compensation?
You'd be amazed how many insects we consume in a year without knowing...especially when eating al fresco in the evening.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Trouble with this is and I am in no way saying your are guilty of it but I'm sure others have been in the past. What's to stop someone taking a little bug on to the plane with the intent of adding it to the meal and then complain in the hope of getting some compensation?
You'd be amazed how many insects we consume in a year without knowing...especially when eating al fresco in the evening.
Ive often woken up in the morning quite full and satisfied........hmmm....free food.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: BA
8 spiders per year in your sleep apparently........

Salad grows outside.
Bugs grow outside and like salad.
No preparation method is 100% perfect.

It's not a great thing to find in your salad, but it's not completely uncommon. Had you found a finger then you might have cause for concern.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:54 am
GLA

Programs: BA VS
Originally Posted by TriStar1011
Doubtless you will agree this situation not only poses a health risk to your passengers it is a totally unacceptable for First Class passengers (and frequent flyers as I am) to suffer such a shocking situation.

Easy solution: lob all the flies to the back of the plane or maybe to the less frequent flyers in FIRST?! As Michael Winner would say: "Calm down, dear!"
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:56 am

Programs: BA GfL
I cannot imagine what the OP's reaction would have been to the dozens of (live) mosquitos that routinely cruise the BOM lounge, if he was that horrified/sickened/distressed/bitterly disappointed/shocked by a dead insect in a bowl of salad.

The OP must lead a truly charmed life, having flown from Mumbai and yet never in his life encountered such a vile intrusion into his personal space!
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by malkie
8 spiders per year in your sleep apparently........

Salad grows outside.
Bugs grow outside and like salad.
No preparation method is 100% perfect.

It's not a great thing to find in your salad, but it's not completely uncommon. Had you found a finger then you might have cause for concern.
Do we think there would have been a complaint if there was a £50 note instead of the little flying invader.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 11:12 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
^ Quite true. Total non-issue and looks like a plain miles grab to me. A fly is not pleasant, but is this level of horror expressed not just hyperbole!? Makes me wonder what my grandparent's generation who lived through (and fought) in world wars and endured rationing would think about the trials we endure travelling in F .

Last edited by HighLife; Nov 5, 2009 at 11:33 am
Old Nov 5, 2009, 11:17 am
uk1
Suspended

1. The fact that you were in F was totally irrelevant.

2. Try and see it from the insects point of view.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by uk1

2. Try and see it from the insects point of view.
Wasn't the insect already dead? Otherwise, I would agree that it did deserve compensation.

Perhaps the OP is upset because he/she was a vegetarian?

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.