Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Farewell Heathrow Terminal 4

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2009, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Very eloquently put JPS76.
+1

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I used to feel like that when flying. Sadly, I lost it somewhere along the way.
It's called ageing
Old Oct 30, 2009, 12:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
My only T4 experience:

My first flight in CE (after flying BA only once before, eight years earlier), flying to London on a "weekend-trip2 (actually saturday-tuesday).

First, we landed at the runway at the other end of the airport (27R/9L??), and taxied across entire Heathrow. i remember some waiting, but can't recall it being to cross the other runway, but rather to give space for some jumbos beinged towed by us. finally reaching the terminal, several planes had gone tech, including the one at our gate, so we were put on a remote stand instead. There, we had to wait quite a while, for a bus, I think.

On the return, the check-in machine refused to print boarding passes, as I had obviously printed them already (pressed print at a printer-less internet cafe the day before). A BA employee (a slightly eldrely gentleman) came over. Now, I had heard about the term dragon, and was now expecting the worst from him (don't know why, though), but he was the nicest BA employee I've ever met, I think. Asked me if I had checked in online, and the dissappeared, to re-appear with our boarding passes. He also placed two stickers on them, which gave us access to the fast track, and explained where the lounges were, all in a really nice way. I was moslty surprised as I thought we didn't "look like" business class travellers (it was my first time in business). After security, we took a quick look, and found the lounge. Don't remember if it was gate 1 or gate 10, but it did have two floors for Club/Silver, and i think the F and CCR sections were at the same place. Really enjoyed the lounge, and all in all I had a great expreince fllying out of T4.

For the flight itself, that's another story
Old Oct 30, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
I flew quite a few times from T4, a mixture of BA and KLM CityHopper (we had a customer in Rotterdam). My only experience of being 'tannoyed' anywhere was once when I was flying to PHL and a friend (who still works for BA) had arranged for me to get access to the F lounge. I hadn't found the check-in desk she had mentioned, so I checked in normally and went through security.

She had spotted that I had checked in (she was working in the F lounge that day) so she had me announced on the tannoy and I had to go to the customer service desk, where I was directed to the F lounge. I had a bit of convincing to do with the dragon checking my boarding pass, as she gave me a most disapproving look and waved me through, but the F lounge was nice.

While I was there my boarding pass was swapped a few times as my friend moved me around the cabin, and I ended up with an exit row seat (those were the days).

Other than that, I remember getting on one of the CityHopper flights and seeing Concorde at the gate next door and thinking how small it was.

I used to live on the flightpath from LHR and I always recall Concorde from the noise. Well, it was either that or anything of Russian origin
Old Oct 30, 2009, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
deleted

Last edited by BA6501; Feb 7, 2013 at 2:16 pm Reason: personal info
Old Oct 30, 2009, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Genius1
+1
It's called ageing
Marriage more like.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 2:52 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, lots of old plastic claiming to be precious metal
Nobody yet seems to have mentioned the T4 Arrivals Lounge. Most of my LH trips were originally to/from LGW, where we had the quite cosy atmosphere of the hotel suites when coming in early in the morning.

By comparison, as these flights started to move over to LHR, I found Arrivals in T4 almost industrial in scale, but nevertheless very welcome. Only issue I ever had was those bloody birds in the showers .....
Old Oct 30, 2009, 6:08 pm

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Wasnt fortunate enough to pass through T4 very often, but it was responsible for a few notable firsts:

My first ever flight LH with BA and my first time on a 747 - in Y back in December 1998.

First ever upgrade (albeit from Y to W) on a JFK flight with Mrs Efin

First "First" experience (including CCR and MB Spa) - champers aplenty!

Efin
Old Oct 30, 2009, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Loved: Concorde, the bouncy walkway and the BA F Spa (if you could get an appointment), arrivals lounge
Hated: Victor pier, transfer to FCC T1/T2, long waks from one end to the other and lack of seating at the gate area

My fondest memories of Concorde are when I was a boy in school in Richmond and could see Concorde flying over the school every day druing on of our breaks. Amazing to think that one day I'd be flying with her.

Let's see what they done to T3 when I am off to SYD next week!?

Last edited by Rambuster; Oct 30, 2009 at 6:19 pm
Old Oct 30, 2009, 9:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Went through T4 a few times; some deranged part of me likes the terminal part of travel. Seems I always got upgraded from WT to WT+ in T4, so that was really good. Usually was on my way to see my girlfriend in Scotland (now wife). One time transiting through T4 from AA to BA on the way to Australia, losing one of my bags, and it magically appearing in Sydney after a days layover.

Never saw the Concorde. Regret that.

Also liked all the shops. Couldn't ever afford to buy anything (was about CDN$2.30 to 1 pound then).
Old Oct 31, 2009, 2:50 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Marriott Rewards, BA Executive Club
Getting into the T4 executive club lounge and seeing that bacon rolls had made their debut
Old Oct 31, 2009, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
For me, T4 was where I was happy when I was going home from school, and sad when I was coming back.

I remember the staff travel desks used to be right down at the far end of the terminal, where the post office now is, before it moved to 'under the eaves' at the front of the terminal. The Skyflyers Lounge used to be behind the F checkin, and I spent many a happy time in there.

I remember once, travelling standby to BAH, not getting on the flight and then suddenly getting on the DXB due to a no-show. I had to run from staff travel all the way to Gate 1, get on a bus (oh, the buses, how we were promised they'd disappear with T5!) and then was the last person to board the aircraft. Which then sat on the tarmac for 2 hours working out what to do with a discarded teddy bear that had been found and was being treated as a suspicious package!

The Rocket, of course. Not only could you see it sitting, waiting, at the gate, but the Bahrain flight used to always find itself behind Concorde in the takeoff queue (BA001 at 1030, BA125 at 1020 or something). Many a time when we were waiting at 27L the Captain would come on and say something like, "Ladies and Gentlemen, those of you on the left hand side of the aircraft are about to see something very special..." and the aircraft would shortly vibrate with the deep roar as Speedbird One "did its thing."

And then in 2003, I was on it! Drank so much Piper H in the lounge I am surprised I remember it, but it's not something one forgets easily.

I always liked the fact that at the beginning of the school holidays I would always bump into someone I knew from Bahrain, either at checkin, security or at the gate. Indeed, a memorable flight was when 5 or so friends and I all got upgraded from Y to the last couple of rows of J on a 777 (14 and 15) with the cradle seats. Great flight!

Oh, and several trips to Paris and also AMS with KL. The Kenya Airways and Sri Lanka flights used to always add a little bit of colour.

All in all though, T4 just meant one thing - flying BA to somewhere far, far away.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
Best memories of T4, Colin Powell holding the bog door open for me in the CCR and asking how I was, my first and only Concorde flight back in 93.I also loved the walk in the tube from the Hilton as a meant the start of another journey.The crowed F lounge probably the worst.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 7:50 am

Programs: BA, Hilton Honors
Good - The joy on my wife's face when we went on a surprise trip to BOS and my elder daughter getting a kick out of the ceiling fans in the departures hall. My first visit to the Concorde Room.

Bad - Getting stuck due to the snow in 2001 and at various other times (I seem to recall a string of computer failures). The lack of daylight in the departures hall. Narrowly missing my chance to fly on Concorde.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 1:25 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Marriott Rewards, BA Executive Club
I don't like Terminal 5 or the Terminal 5 lounges but my recollection is that I always enjoyed travelling through Terminal 4 where the layout was so much simpler and it seemed less crowded.

Anyhow, back to Term 4 for a KLM flight next month on a points-expiring-blocker so a good time to check if my memory is rose tinted.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CityRules
Anyhow, back to Term 4 for a KLM flight next month on a points-expiring-blocker so a good time to check if my memory is rose tinted.
You'll hardly recognise T4. There's a large new check-in extension/forecourt, completely refurbished check-in, security, immigration hall, baggage reclaim halls and customs. The departure lounge has also been mostly refurbished, with new gate areas, seating, flooring and a funky new ceiling with LED lighting effects. There's been some upgrade works to the arrivals corridors and landside arrivals hall too.

The rest of the departure lounge is (the far left and right hand ends) are currently being refurbished.

The SkyTeam lounge is located where the BA Concorde Room (ground floor) and Terraces lounge (first floor) were. The lower ground floor, which was the First lounge, is now the Etihad lounge. The former BA Gate 1 Lounge is now the Qatar Airways lounge (first floor) and soon to be the new Air India lounge (second floor).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.