Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy Silver status for another year [BA offer]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Silver status for another year [BA offer]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2009, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by bernardd
In the T's & C's in post #1 of this thread:

A couple more shots of happy juice and a bit more chilling out might be in order I suspect!

What is needed is for me to read the thing properly rather than just scan reading (which is pretty much all I have time for right now!)

Well must dash a few martini's, mojito's or marguerita's are waiting for me
Old Oct 23, 2009, 9:36 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by HIDDY
As a confirmed life time Blue this does not affect me of course but I shall have my say on the matter. I see it as a sensible revenue earner. I don't see this as a devaluation at all........let's face it some members have been getting away with murder recently. Namely those who have been mollycoddled and being allowed to keep their status despite being well short of the amount of tier points needed to retain it. Golds as well I might add.
Better BA getting some cash out of them rather than handing it to them on a plate I say. ^
I've got to agree really. I originally thought the same as Sunrise, it was open to anybody to buy Silver for £495.

If I really wanted to retain Silver, and I was on 500 points, and could do a mileage run of say 120 points for £300, or just pay the £495, I think I would choose the latter.

Although retaining Silver is something I would think long and hard about now they've removed the option of getting an exit row.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Oct 24, 2009, 3:06 am

Programs: BAEC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Gold Passport, Tesco clubcard!
Originally Posted by Hubbabridge
Cheaper though than a mileage run to get 175 points I think.@:-)

you could do KUP or YUP fares to get around 360 tier points though for less.... AA board can help you with more details.....

YUP fares may be cheaper than purchased first class, so they are definitely worth investigating. You can find them on the 'search by price and schedule' grid, under the 'instant upgrade' column. The advantage is that you can confirm into first at the time of booking. Another advantage is that you will earn elite qualifying points at the 1.5 level, making it easier to reach elite status such as gold or platinum much faster (assuming you travel frequently).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...kup-fares.html

extract......

The disadvantage, if I understand the fare rules correctly, is that you are only guaranteed coach class should there be a cancellation or delay that requires you to be rebooked onto alternate flights (this is what we commonly abbreviate IRROP, for irregular operations). There is not a lot of spare F inventory on the day of travel for handling rebooking or rerouting. You'll still get the 1.5 points for the flight, but not the bigger seat for you and your service companion.

Oh, SFO-JFK and LAX-JFK have some restrictions on the YUP fares. Not all flights are eligible.

also check here.....

http://www.farecompare.com/search/yu...rue&carrier=AA

then more details here

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...ier_Levels_(BA)

Last edited by lhrworker; Oct 24, 2009 at 3:36 am
Old Oct 24, 2009, 3:32 am

From what I can see the wording describes this as a "one-off offer", so it could well be a temporary step to help claw some cash back until BA's finances are on a more stable footing. I haven't seen anything saying this facility is a permanent fixture.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The NCL priority check in sign changed some time ago to Gold / Prem. I was able to use this line with my Silver card despite the G / P sign being there as late as this May. After June I have not been able to use this line.

I agree that it is a bit of a shambles for passengers connecting to longhaul first or business class, where fares might reasonably be GBP 1,000 to GBP 3,000 and more each way, against domestic passengers who might be paying GBP 30 one way.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
The NCL priority check in sign changed some time ago to Gold / Prem. I was able to use this line with my Silver card despite the G / P sign being there as late as this May. After June I have not been able to use this line.
It is a clear violation of the BAEC rules and has probably been implemented by the manager of the outsourced agents at NCL - possibly without realising the consequences.

I would suggest dropping Nicci a PM about this.

When Aviance took over at EDI the Club/Gold/Silver line disappeared for a while before it was reinstated due to complaints.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:03 am

Programs: BA gold
Thumbs up

Sorry for dragging this thread up and the slightly OT angle on this... but I couldn't leave it ending like it is in case it comes up in someone's search.

I've just been through check-in at NCL, the sign now say Premier/Gold/Silver - great! ^

Alas it was unmanned and there was a massive queue to the two check-in desks and the self-service machines decided to have an early Christmas.

However, a fellow BAEC member spoke to a Swissport employee and who told us to join the main queue. After five minutes, a check-in girl swapped desk and we did an about turn since the queue had not moved.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying a rather entertaining view of the snow plough(s?) racing each other in a circle around an airplane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.