FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Buy Silver status for another year [BA offer] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1008806-buy-silver-status-another-year-ba-offer.html)

Physci Oct 22, 2009 1:09 pm

Buy Silver status for another year [BA offer]

My membership year ends in mid Nov and I've just had an email from the exec club offering to sell me renewal at silver for another year for £495. I'm currently short of 600 TPs but have a CE flight coming up which gets me to renewal so I'll not be taking up their offer - anyone else had this offer?

Email text

Dear Physci,

At British Airways we understand that at the moment there are a number of reasons why you may not be flying with us as often as you would like to. This in turn means that you may not earn enough Tier Points to renew your Silver membership this year.

As a special one-off gesture we would like to offer you the option of paying a fee to renew your current Silver membership*. The price is £495, which will maintain your Executive Club Silver membership and all the associated benefits and rewards for the next 12 months.

To take advantage of this exclusive offer, simply call 0800 408 0009, no later than 8pm on Tuesday 10 November. Please note that renewals cannot be made after this time and we regret that we will not be able to offer it to you again.

I hope you continue to enjoy the benefits of your Silver membership and we look forward to welcoming you onboard in the year ahead.

Warm regards,

XXXXXXXXXX
Executive Club Manager

* Terms and conditions apply.

Terms & Conditions

This offer is only open to Eligible Participants. An Eligible Participant is a British Airways Executive Club Silver Card holder, specifically selected to receive this offer. British Airways reserves the right to verify the eligibility of Eligible Participants. By taking part in this offer, Eligible Participants confirm that they accept the terms and conditions set out below.

Eligible Participants will qualify for the ability to renew their current Executive Club Silver tier for the specified fee.

Eligible Participants will be required to make payment by 10 November 2009, no later than 8pm.

Once payment is approved, the Eligible Participant will renew at the Silver tier level for the 12 months following the expiry of the current membership year. All payments are non-refundable in any instance including where an Eligible Participant subsequently achieves the requisite number of tier points to renew their Silver tier.

Payments can only be made with a valid credit card through the Contact Centre number supplied in the communications. The offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer, promotion or deal.

British Airways reserves the right to cancel or amend the terms of this offer, without notice, in the event of major catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, earthquake or any actual, anticipated or alleged breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other similar events beyond its reasonable control.

This offer will be governed by English law and is subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts. Promotional materials form part of these terms and conditions. These terms and conditions apply in addition to the Executive Club Membership Terms and conditions, and in the event of a conflict between the two sets of terms and conditions, the terms herein shall prevail.

The _Banking_Scot Oct 22, 2009 1:11 pm

Hi,

I have never heard of it from BA before ( bmi does it IIRC- it was around £150)

Regards

TBS

Peter747 Oct 22, 2009 1:23 pm

Got the same e-mail today. I am 200 points short, but luckily have sufficient TPs arriving in time for the renewal date. Otherwise, quite an expensive option. Anyone remember how much membership cost before TPs were introduced?

The _Banking_Scot Oct 22, 2009 1:28 pm

Hi,

Wow! , BA must be desperate for cash!:eek:

Regards

TBS

Ps- How many glasses of champagne would you need to drink to make the hefty cash outlay worthwhile? :D ( ignoring the other benefits of Silver)

DYKWIA Oct 22, 2009 1:33 pm

They are obviously watering down the benefits of Silver.

I suspect the next thing will be no guests in lounge for Silver members.

Cheers,
Rick

jneill Oct 22, 2009 1:51 pm

I had exactly the same offer today: Renew Silver for £495. I'm currently 175 tier points short. Seems extremely expensive to me.

Mr H Oct 22, 2009 1:56 pm

I had my blue card through the post yesterday - no opportunity to buy back up. I'd only do that for £500 if there were a prospect of getting Gold in the next year that I would otherwise miss.

On the other hand, I did buy up to BD Silver for £150 the year I missed requalifying. Money well spent as the lounge access and extra miles more than covered the cost.

sl1ppy Oct 22, 2009 2:05 pm

Seems expensive for marginal silvers when they've taken away the exit row seating choice.
Almost wish I hadn't qualified as on receiving this I'd be suggesting they go and polish something else ...

JamieT Oct 22, 2009 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 12691610)

Cheers,
Rick

Probably since BMI have done that recently - prompting me not to make the effort to retain my silver card.

Mr H Oct 22, 2009 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by JamieT (Post 12692074)
Probably since BMI have done that recently - prompting me not to make the effort to retain my silver card.

BD have now changed their minds - guests are welcome again

ginger50 Oct 22, 2009 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Wow! , BA must be desperate for cash!
I disagree.... they are getting desperate for silver members!

What a bunch of twits... they devalue silver then try to sell it :mad:

Hubbabridge Oct 22, 2009 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by jneill (Post 12691736)
I had exactly the same offer today: Renew Silver for £495. I'm currently 175 tier points short. Seems extremely expensive to me.

Cheaper though than a mileage run to get 175 points I think.@:-)

edi-traveller Oct 22, 2009 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Hubbabridge (Post 12692644)
Cheaper though than a mileage run to get 175 points I think.@:-)

Exactly that's about the cost of a full fare EDI to LHR which would get you 40 points.

HIDDY Oct 22, 2009 6:03 pm

The cost of building and maintaining/running the T5 lounges must be well above what the "premium" passenger is bringing in. It would make good business sense to start PAYG lounge access to bring in some much needed revenue IMO.

sunrisegirl Oct 22, 2009 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 12691610)

Cheers,
Rick

Quite :rolleyes:

If you can now buy it for a mere UK 495.00, then it's time BA gave something back to the genuine UK silver card holders (like myself and many more) who pay to do it the right way.

Seems like a total kick in the teeth to those who've earned silver the right way, and also earned BA some much needed income too.

Another ridiculous policy aimed at dumbing down silver :mad: