Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy Silver status for another year [BA offer]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Silver status for another year [BA offer]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2009, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Junior Jet Club
Yet another reason for a Ruby level if they are selling status...but then again, are there any benefits to holding OW Ruby?
Old Oct 23, 2009, 5:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I have not received the invitation, but I currently have 580 tier points and will have qualified for Silver once again after my next flight coming up soon. It would be interesting to find out who has been targeted to receive the invitation. Is it existing Silver members who currently have around 400 tier points, or those whose current and existing bookings through to the end of their membership year indicate they will finish the year at 400 tier points?
At the end of my last membership year I was just shy of 1,500 tier points - I would have paid a fee to close the gap and qualify for gold then had it been offered.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Tripophile
At the end of my last membership year I was just shy of 1,500 tier points - I would have paid a fee to close the gap and qualify for gold then had it been offered.
But if you were just shy of the 1500 points needed, and would have been willing to pay a fee, why didn’t you just do a quick TP Run?
Old Oct 23, 2009, 5:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by clubman
But if you were just shy of the 1500 points needed, and would have been willing to pay a fee, why didn’t you just do a quick TP Run?
That would have been an option to bring me up to Gold, Clubman, but I have so far resisted taking flights solely for the purpose of earning tier points. All the tier points on my account each year are a result of travel for other purposes. If I get close again this year, I may do as you suggest, given the greater distinction now between Gold and Silver.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 5:38 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by clubman
or move
Old Oct 23, 2009, 6:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
Methinks Hiddy perhaps knew that, and was perhaps pointing out that the "loyalty" being claimed wasn't perhaps that loyal after all! (Though of course entirely legitimate, and perfectly reasonable if you need some tier points!)
Indeed - It was a cheeky reply to DYKWIAs " I'll put my money where my mouth is and switch carriers." statement.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
Methinks Hiddy perhaps knew that, and was perhaps pointing out that the "loyalty" being claimed wasn't perhaps that loyal after all! (Though of course entirely legitimate, and perfectly reasonable if you need some tier points!)
Ah, yes,I think you're right. My Irony Incoming Detector was set to Passive mode!
Old Oct 23, 2009, 6:04 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
They are obviously watering down the benefits of Silver.

I suspect the next thing will be no guests in lounge for Silver members.

Cheers,
Rick
If that were to happen, then perhaps coach-flying BA Silvers departing on BA flights from LHR T3 would make a dash for the AA, CX or JL lounges when having a guest there?
Old Oct 23, 2009, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Maybe I'm just easy, but what is the problem? If BA wants to generate extra cash to stay afloat I'd rather they come up with stuff like this than things that will actually hurt the service.

Is this 'large company bashing' fashionable nowadays? Is this a new form of populism? (It really follows the same principles)
Old Oct 23, 2009, 6:36 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
I have never heard of it from BA before ( bmi does it IIRC- it was around £150)

AA have also been doing it for the last few years. IIRC you can't buy up to a level, you can only pay to stay at a level you've already achieved. I've no idea how many people take up the offer but I suspect it's about keeping top tier FF's rather than any significant revenue generation.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 6:40 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Bearing in mind I am neither BA silver nor gold (a mere OWE with another carrier), I don't really like the idea but I also think the price is high enough to keep it somewhat exclusive.

I would certainly not like to see BA introducing something similar to Qantas Club (which, to me, is far too cheap, especially for some corporate memberships). Thankfully it's not too bad now that they have a separate domestic Business lounge at their major domestic airports (only accessible to business class passengers and their platinums and OWEs), but their domestic "Qantas Club" lounges used to turn into a complete zoo at times.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 6:49 am

Programs: It's better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Depending on what you want out of Silver membership, there may be a better way.

For £495, you can buy Qantas Club membership which will get you into BA lounges any time you fly BA, and probably still have some cash left over to go towards a mileage/TP run. And that's just the first-year cost, because there's a hefty joining fee. If you strip out the joining fee, the recurrent annual cost of lounge access is actually quite reasonable.

Of course, you don't get the other perks of Silver membership. Now, someone please remind me, what did they use to be?
Good value, especially if you use the corporate membership from Aussie Frequent Flyer to help reduce the first year's premium.

Have used at T5 successfully with guest and will look to renew as long as I fly BA.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:33 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Why not sell points instead?

I think that they could sell points in the same way as they sell miles. There would be an annual limit as well.

So let's say that the annual limit was say 100 points for say £150. This would allow people to 'top up' their points to keep Silver. But I would retain the need to get the other 500 points from flights (and the 4 flights on BA metal).

Views?
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by BA or bust
I think that they could sell points in the same way as they sell miles. There would be an annual limit as well.

So let's say that the annual limit was say 100 points for say £150. This would allow people to 'top up' their points to keep Silver. But I would retain the need to get the other 500 points from flights (and the 4 flights on BA metal).

Views?
I like it. If there is a market for it I would do it if I was BA.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:55 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by BA or bust
I think that they could sell points in the same way as they sell miles.
Another option BA could borrow from AA would be to pre-sell travel. From memory the way the AA scheme works is you pay $20 or $25k up front for travel in the coming year, in return for which they give you imediate Emerald status. You burn off the dollars as you travel, but lose the balance if you don't use it all. Of course they'll gladly sell you more tickets if you spend more than the balance. I believe you get status for the second year so you're fine if you regularly travel enough to maintain Emerald, which I suppose would make this a good transition to BA since they're reluctant to status match.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.