Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Speedbird One: The Movie [LCY-JFK, BA001 on video]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speedbird One: The Movie [LCY-JFK, BA001 on video]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by Pyeinthesky
How do you know he was ignoring the safety briefing? No film during briefing was posted as far as I can tell.

If one really believed that a video camera could endanger a plane during take-off/landing would one ever get on a plane at all?

Cheer up, go and have a Scotch and try not to think about it any more...
When we adopted our little boy we promised to take him on a plane because he hadn't been on one before.

We told the cabin crew that it was his first ever flight and that he was very excited. The CSD saw that I had a video camera - and umprompted - he said that if I wanted I could use it during take off and landing.

Now that our not so little boy is older - we often watch that video and remember just how excited he really was - bursting with excitement - I'm glad I got that on tape.

The no electronic stuff during approach and landing is mainly a "listening to music thing" isn't it - i.e. if they need to make an emergancy announcement you need to able to hear it. Using a video camera is not the same.

No harm done here I think.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 4:06 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
Thank you for posting these videos Bahrain ', they occupied a nice portion of my afternoon tea break yesterday.

I once took a video of the SK safety video to show some friends as it is so politically incorrect and featured hi-tech kit like a Nokia 5.1! My Tumi was also considerably over the 8kg approaved weight for cabin baggage. And yet despite all this the Mad Dog still got off the ground! Just goes to show what is possible I suppose.

Keep up the good work with the camera please.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 5:00 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pyeinthesky
How do you know he was ignoring the safety briefing? No film during briefing was posted as far as I can tell.

If one really believed that a video camera could endanger a plane during take-off/landing would one ever get on a plane at all?

Cheer up, go and have a Scotch and try not to think about it any more...
I didn't mention any film, I was just commenting on the fact that the standard safety announcement requires all electronic equipment to be switched off for take-off and landing. Clearly the OP chose to ignore this.

I'm no expert regarding the potential for different devices to cause problems, so won't comment there.

Originally Posted by edi-traveller
The no electronic stuff during approach and landing is mainly a "listening to music thing" isn't it - i.e. if they need to make an emergancy announcement you need to able to hear it. Using a video camera is not the same.
Seems a strange way to word the safety announcement if that really is the case.

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Oooh, did someone get out of the wrong side of bed this morning. Miaoooooow
Clearly, given the reaction to by some staff members in other threads this morning to the growing concern that BA staff will soon be on strike - no doubt just in time for Christmas!

Anyway, my comment was just meant to be an observation of fact. If the use of certain devices is acceptable airlines should state this. If not they should enforce the rules. However, I don't want to detract from your YouTube enjoyment.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by gms
Mind you, given the target market for this service the plane will have its share of DYKWIA ****ers all sending email on their Blackberry as the plane charges down the runway.
I bet a part of you really wishes that he was one of those £1m+ pa high-living ******* though! You know you do ...

(Not that I'd blame you, of course!)
Old Oct 7, 2009, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by tony2x
Can't you non-rev on these flights?
Can't I do what on these flights? What is "non-rev" when it's at home?
Old Oct 7, 2009, 7:58 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Can't I do what on these flights? What is "non-rev" when it's at home?
Non Reverends. People who aren't priests etc are allowed on.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Non Reverends. People who aren't priests etc are allowed on.

BBB, 'non-rev' refers to passengers who don't pay (non revenue). Something like ID90s but cheaper.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 9:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by srbrenna
Good job we're not on another thread then
Originally Posted by gms

Yes, let's encourage all passengers to ignore the safety briefing and breach safety rules. Mind you, given the target market for this service the plane will have its share of DYKWIA ****ers all sending email on their Blackberry as the plane charges down the runway.
I rest my case, your honour.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
This eloquent twitterer from the LCY area is griping about BA's aborted landing. What is s/he referring to?

Originally Posted by http://twitter.com/fighttheflights
BA A318 has been flying just over a week and already it's broken down and had to abort a landing at London City Airport. It's going so well!
10:51 AM Oct 6th from web
Just to add another note after looking around at this group's website here. The yellow stars on people's jackets (at 1:31 in this video on their website) are in especially poor taste. Allusions to the Holocaust should never be used in such a cheapening and outrageous way, whatever one might think about the rights and wrongs of these protesters. And they're a literate crowd, too (note the spelling "airbourne" on their placard at 1:40).

Last edited by salut0; Oct 7, 2009 at 2:44 pm
Old Oct 7, 2009, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
So:

(1) a plane needs maintenance (a plane that has been doing intensive practice cycles at that). Wow! HOLD THE FRONT PAGE! Whodathunk it!? I was on that flight so, unlike these idle NIMBY trouble-makers with nothing better to do, it actually had an impact on me. Errm, except it really didn't. The impact was minimal, was handled very well by BA and is clearly to be filed under 'these things happen’. Just as they have happened at one time or another to me on every other aircraft type I've flown out of various airports, I reckon. Conclusion: spurious point, these people are idiots.

(2) landings are aborted. No sh!t Sherlock! This happens, what, every day, at every airport, and sometimes multiple times a day? Would they rather an unsafe landing was attempted, then? Conclusion: moronic point, and these people are again idiots at best and advocate ENDANGERING LIVES at worst (see, I can do hyperbole too).

Overall conclusion: these people are idiots of the highest order and should grow up.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 2:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Junior Jet Club
Anyway, my comment was just meant to be an observation of fact. If the use of certain devices is acceptable airlines should state this.
Until we live in a totalitarian regime, let's just file this one in "we let things slip sometimes so we can have a good time", OK?

Much as Doug Bader was a total prat, he was right to say "rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools"
Old Oct 8, 2009, 6:04 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I have one HUMUNGOUS objection to these films!!

There was not enough/any footage of you Bahrain Beefcake.

Before you protest - that was exactly as you were described to me by my best friend (and his beer who wrote a trip report if you can call a "DO" a trip report). To be more precise "Beefcake with brains" - and Rugbyman good looks.

That apart - I thought that it was wonderful. I want to go. Will you take me? (I'll pay for myself don't worry - I just love the thought of doing a transatlantic with a man with brains, looks, and charm.)
Old Oct 8, 2009, 7:02 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by G-BOAC

Overall conclusion: these people are idiots of the highest order and should grow up.
You been quoted on twitwat.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I have one HUMUNGOUS objection to these films!!

There was not enough/any footage of you Bahrain Beefcake.

Before you protest - that was exactly as you were described to me by my best friend (and his beer who wrote a trip report if you can call a "DO" a trip report). To be more precise "Beefcake with brains" - and Rugbyman good looks.

That apart - I thought that it was wonderful. I want to go. Will you take me? (I'll pay for myself don't worry - I just love the thought of doing a transatlantic with a man with brains, looks, and charm.)
Wow...has this turned into eHarmony...or craiglist or something?

And I think after a post like that we are all owed some kind of picture....
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by globalste
You been quoted on twitwat.
So have you, as I see.

Anyway, I wish these FightTheFlights people would focus on some reasonable alternatives: like starting a fundraising campaign and lobby group to link all London's airports into the national rail network and also by train to each other. It'd then make it much easier to distribute demand around a network of terminals and runways which still has some excess capacity.

And I also wish they'd focus their attention on RyanAir, who fly bigger planes (737s) with more frequency than BA's A318, and attract many more passengers with their deceptively low prices that turn out to be quite expensive once you add all the bits and bobs into the final total.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.