Speedbird One: The Movie [LCY-JFK, BA001 on video]

Old Oct 5, 09, 4:13 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Posts: 7,882
Speedbird One: The Movie [LCY-JFK, BA001 on video]

Hi all

Well, here it is - 30 minutes of footage from BA001 for your viewing pleasure.

Some points
1 - the vast majority of footage is taken out of the window. I tried to limit what was taken in the cabin to protect the privacy of my fellow passengers
2 - it's a bit jerky, but it's the first time I had ever used this (borrowed) camera
3 - the video was shot on the second day of operation, when BA001 was delayed by 1h40 due to a mechanical fault (a broken engine temperature sensor I believe). However the delay was handled very well from BA's perspective and we ended up landing at JFK only an hour late. This is the sort of thing that happens with a new service, and could have been edited out of the video, but I kept it in for journalistic accuracy.
4 - the departure from LCY is well worth watching...this aircraft really does shift. Very 'sporting' as a BA captain would say!

Enjoy! Comments most welcome.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8E-nR4uU3Q
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbqiV3Zs4Dc
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwcsPAlH3iQ
BahrainLad is offline  
Old Oct 5, 09, 4:21 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK
Programs: BA Blue, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 2,529
they look good
johnny5a is offline  
Old Oct 5, 09, 4:35 pm
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Earth
Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Posts: 10,985
Looking good BahrainLad thanks very much for taking the time to film these for us. It sure does go up fast and sharp, must have felt quite different to normal.
sunrisegirl is offline  
Old Oct 5, 09, 4:48 pm
  #4  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 19,374
How wonderful. What a handsome collection of passengers and to end the journey with the Flower Duet just makes it all the more special.
Prospero is offline  
Old Oct 5, 09, 5:09 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 12,014
Very good indeed good sir.

I am eternally jealous of people going on this flight... something i will have to save up for a long time to do!

Looks amazing...
BingBongBoy is offline  
Old Oct 5, 09, 5:43 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Quite close to NQY
Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Posts: 9,321
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy View Post
Very good indeed good sir.

I am eternally jealous of people going on this flight... something i will have to save up for a long time to do!

Looks amazing...
Keep staying at the HI !!


whats the saying....... Points mean prizes!
cornishsimon is offline  
Old Oct 5, 09, 7:41 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Argentina
Programs: BAEC/IB
Posts: 37,775
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
What a handsome collection of passengers and to end the journey with the Flower Duet just makes it all the more special.
Indeed, all very smart and sober looking with not a T-Shirt in sight which probably explains why there wasn't a chorus of laaaaaaa la la la at the end.

Good viewing.
HIDDY is online now  
Old Oct 5, 09, 11:55 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: Mucci (for services to Gin), VS Au, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis Pref+, Hertz 5*
Posts: 980
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy View Post
Very good indeed good sir.

I am eternally jealous of people going on this flight... something i will have to save up for a long time to do!

Looks amazing...
Can't you non-rev on these flights?
tony2x is offline  
Old Oct 6, 09, 1:55 am
  #9  
gms
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: South East, UK
Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,126
Nice video. But without wanting to appear a killjoy, did the OP get special permission from the Captain to use an electronic device during take-off (given the requirement that "all electronic devices must still be switched off for take off, approach and landing")?
gms is offline  
Old Oct 6, 09, 2:02 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Posts: 7,882
Originally Posted by gms View Post
But without wanting to appear a killjoy, did the OP get special permission from the Captain to use an electronic device during take-off
No.
BahrainLad is offline  
Old Oct 6, 09, 2:13 am
  #11  
gms
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: South East, UK
Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,126
Originally Posted by BahrainLad View Post
No.
Naughty boy.
gms is offline  
Old Oct 6, 09, 2:34 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: CPT
Programs: BA BD SA
Posts: 4,421
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl View Post
It sure does go up fast and sharp, must have felt quite different to normal.
"That plane takes off like a homesick angel" my father used to say. (Although he was referring to the then state-of-the-art Viscount. )
Cheetah_SA is offline  
Old Oct 6, 09, 2:40 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Upstate, NY - SYR, ITH, BGM, ELM, ROC
Programs: AA EP
Posts: 3,317
Originally Posted by BahrainLad View Post
Hi all

Well, here it is - 30 minutes of footage from BA001 for your viewing pleasure.

Some points
1 - the vast majority of footage is taken out of the window. I tried to limit what was taken in the cabin to protect the privacy of my fellow passengers
I watched these after seeing the post on airliners.net!

LOVE how at the start of the third video you capture HALF the face of the guy sitting behind you and he is TOTALLY giving you the stink-eye!
HEE HEE!

BTW what kind of accent did the purser have?
Burj is offline  
Old Oct 6, 09, 4:12 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Posts: 3,473
Originally Posted by BahrainLad View Post
No.
Good job we're not on another thread then
srbrenna is offline  
Old Oct 6, 09, 4:14 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,744
Originally Posted by Burj View Post
I watched these after seeing the post on airliners.net!

LOVE how at the start of the third video you capture HALF the face of the guy sitting behind you and he is TOTALLY giving you the stink-eye!
HEE HEE!

BTW what kind of accent did the purser have?
Dundonian.
continentalclub is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread