Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendations for Carnaval in Rio

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Recommendations for Carnaval in Rio

So, I'm in Rio and will be here through the end of Carnaval. Open to any suggestions, but I'm not looking for the "go to a samba school" type recommendations...I'm looking for something more off the beaten path. Also, I do speak Portuguese, so the language barrier is not an issue.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:57 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
Why dont you try one of the carnaval block!? I would go for the one in Ipanema, around Farme do Amoedo street...if you are in Rio you know what I mean...
Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hardiwv
Why dont you try one of the carnaval block!? I would go for the one in Ipanema, around Farme do Amoedo street...if you are in Rio you know what I mean...
I'm sitting about two blocks from Farme de Amoedo right now...and I have heard about that. Will certainly check it out!
Old Jan 30, 2006, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bquinif
I'm sitting about two blocks from Farme de Amoedo right now...and I have heard about that. Will certainly check it out!
Just to point out that Farme de Amoedo is a street of gay bars so may not be to everyone's taste.

If you're referring to the blocos in Ipanema that start from Praca General Osorio e.g. Banda da Ipanema IMO they are nothing special unless you have a particular yen for transsexuals and if anything are more "touristy" than going to a samba school. I would also give the Bailes in Scala in Leblon a miss in the week leading up to Carnaval unless you're a single woman and lonely.

For me going to a samba school is largely what Carnaval is all about and one of the reasons I prefer the build up to Carnaval itself. Having said that the parade itself is worth seeing once even if you're not mad about samba. If you want to be different go out to a samba school rehearsal at Imperatriz or Beija-Flor in Nilopolis where they are less used to seeing a lot of tourists.

IMO Rio isn't really a type of city to go too far "off the beaten path" unless you know what you're doing particularly if you're on your lonesome. If you want to hang out around the sambodromo there will be some festas on so you might want to check around there. I'm sure there will also be Baile Funks on in the favelas to but going to one is not something I would recommend.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oiRRio
Just to point out that Farme de Amoedo is a street of gay bars so may not be to everyone's taste.

If you're referring to the blocos in Ipanema that start from Praca General Osorio e.g. Banda da Ipanema IMO they are nothing special unless you have a particular yen for transsexuals and if anything are more "touristy" than going to a samba school. I would also give the Bailes in Scala in Leblon a miss in the week leading up to Carnaval unless you're a single woman and lonely.

For me going to a samba school is largely what Carnaval is all about and one of the reasons I prefer the build up to Carnaval itself. Having said that the parade itself is worth seeing once even if you're not mad about samba. If you want to be different go out to a samba school rehearsal at Imperatriz or Beija-Flor in Nilopolis where they are less used to seeing a lot of tourists.

IMO Rio isn't really a type of city to go too far "off the beaten path" unless you know what you're doing particularly if you're on your lonesome. If you want to hang out around the sambodromo there will be some festas on so you might want to check around there. I'm sure there will also be Baile Funks on in the favelas to but going to one is not something I would recommend.
Thanks for the good advice...I wasn't dismissing the Escolas de Samba, I was just inquiring about less obvious things to do. And don't worry, I have very little desire (read, zero) to go up the hills into some favela.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 1:37 am

Thanks for being so explicit, and I'm sure bquinif already knew this information. Farme do Amoedo street gets packed during carnaval and you can have a good time there. It would be my recommendation.

If you're referring to the blocos in Ipanema that start from Praca General Osorio e.g. Banda da Ipanema

No, I was referring to Farme do Amoedo street, as I stated above.

Rgs,
Old Jan 31, 2006, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by hardiwv
Thanks for being so explicit, and I'm sure bquinif already knew this information. Farme do Amoedo street gets packed during carnaval and you can have a good time there. It would be my recommendation.
You're welcome although I'm not sure how you ascertained the OP was aware of the information. This bloco may be a good bet if one is gay but for the vast majority of us who aren't we'd probably find some of the other blocos more to our tastes.

Originally Posted by bquinif
Thanks for the good advice...I wasn't dismissing the Escolas de Samba, I was just inquiring about less obvious things to do. And don't worry, I have very little desire (read, zero) to go up the hills into some favela.
Glad to hear it. Wrt blocos here is a list of some of the bigger ones in Zona Sul.

http://www.samba-choro.com.br/noticias/arquivo/76

It's from 1998 but things don't change much from year to year IME.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 7:51 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=hardiwv]Just to point out that Farme de Amoedo is a street of gay bars so may not be to everyone's taste.

"Thanks for being so explicit, and I'm sure bquinif already knew this information. Farme do Amoedo street gets packed during carnaval and you can have a good time there. It would be my recommendation."

Actually I didn't...it's close enough to the favela entrance that I generally don't wander over that way too much, esp. at night.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:01 am

it's close enough to the favela entrance that I generally don't wander over that way too much, esp. at night.

Farme do Amoedo is quite secure street, always crowded and with lots of people (especially in front of Bofetada Bar). Btw, during carnaval Farme gets so packed that it is impossible to transit.

Here is a list of "blocos", for all tastes:

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/folha/t...338u5472.shtml

Rgs,
Old Feb 6, 2006, 6:03 pm

A lot depends on your budget. Unfortunately, nightlife in Rio is becoming very expensive. It also depends if you are just looking for things to do or are looking for traditional Carioca carnival type things. Monobloco in Lapa on Fridays is supposed to be good as is Margarte Mendez at Canacao on Tuesdays (expensive). Also don't forget the traditional carnival balls that will start a couple of weeks before carnival (Scala is the most popular place for these.) There has been mention of the blocos but they are not all gay oriented. First of all, you will often stumble into them by accident and you have to get in the spirit and just join in. My favorite is Sympatia E Quase Amor that is on Saturdays in Ipanema. OF course their is always the Stones on the 18th!

Read the papers, they are much better at publishing these events than they used to be. I've been traveling and just got back into town so I'm not totally caught up yet.

Here are a couple of sites that have some info:
http://www.riofesta.com.br/
http://www.funrio.com.br/
http://cidades.terra.com.br/rio/0,,,00.html

Also, don't be afraid of Farme. There is a 24 hour police trailer between there and favela entrance.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by RioFF
Also don't forget the traditional carnival balls that will start a couple of weeks before carnival (Scala is the most popular place for these.)

Also, don't be afraid of Farme. There is a 24 hour police trailer between there and favela entrance.
The Bailes at Scala go on all week with a variety of themes culminating in the Baile Gala Gay on the Tuesday of Carnaval. A few years back I went to the Baile do Vermelho e Preto which is supposed to be one of the better ones and was extremely underwhelmed and not just because of my aversion to all things Flamenguista related.

I don't think there is a security issue with being on Farme de Amoedo, indeed I often gone to watch footie in Sindicato do Chopp there. It's just that IMO most straight guys in Rio for Carnaval would rather be surrounded by beautiful women than gay guys.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:50 am
Original Poster

..."It's just that IMO most straight guys in Rio for Carnaval would rather be surrounded by beautiful women than gay guys."

Not meaning to offend any one...that is exactly my opinion ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.