Wiki Posts
Search

Transit at GRU

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2006, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
Transit at GRU

Does anybody know if you have to clear customs at GRU for a connecting flight to Chile? Also, if it is necessary to clear customs then is a visa required and also payment of the $100 fee?
Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2006, 5:50 pm

Programs: Continental, AA, UA, US
Last time I was at GRU I transferred to Lima without going through customs...so I imagine it should work OK going to Chile. I also did not have to pay the $100 you mentioned...
Old Feb 20, 2006, 5:51 pm

Programs: Continental, AA, UA, US
Oh...and also you should not need your visa
Old Feb 20, 2006, 7:56 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
As this has nothing to do with "Miles & Points", I am closing it in this board. I'll move it to a regional travel board.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
To go to Chile with transit in GRU you don't need visa to Brazil and you don't have to clear custom.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:48 pm

Brazil doesn't charge a $100 entry fee... just a $100 visa which won't apply in your case.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 1:58 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
I haven't done it in a while but if connecting int'l to int'l you never need clear customs and won't need a visa. I'm not terribly familiar with GRU (only done it 5-6 times) but upon arrival you'll walk down a hallway with windows on one side and the wall of the terminal on the other. You'll be able to see into the terminal. At the end of this, you should see a set of stairs/escalator leading downwards. YOU DO NOT want to go down there, that's customs/immigration.

Instead, there should be a sign with an arrow pointing left to redirect you back into the terminal to meet your connecting flight. Should you need to transit between Terminal 1 and 2, you'll need to exit the secured area but will not need to clear customs/immigration. Go to the second floor (the lounges are there as well) and cross over to the terminal you need. You'll then reclear security to get back into the passenger terminal. If you have lounge access, note that the lines can get rather long. Leave yourself plenty of time to clear security and get to the gate. Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.