Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Is July a bad time to visit Brazil?

Is July a bad time to visit Brazil?

Old Jan 18, 20, 6:28 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Birmingham
Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver
Posts: 18
Is July a bad time to visit Brazil?

Hi all. Iíve recently booked a trip to Brazil in July and I will be visiting Rio and S„o Paulo. Iíve been reading online that S„o Paulo is quite chilly in July? Is this true? I know itís winter but I didnít realize it got that cold in July? Will I still be able to wear shorts and a t shirt (Iím from the UK so Iím quite used to the cold!) thanks!
westmidlandsguy is offline  
Old Jan 18, 20, 11:05 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: DUD >> SIN
Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Posts: 1,637
Originally Posted by westmidlandsguy View Post
Hi all. I’ve recently booked a trip to Brazil in July and I will be visiting Rio and S„o Paulo. I’ve been reading online that S„o Paulo is quite chilly in July? Is this true? I know it’s winter but I didn’t realize it got that cold in July? Will I still be able to wear shorts and a t shirt (I’m from the UK so I’m quite used to the cold!) thanks!
A chilly winter day in Sao Paulo is like most summer days in London. At best you'll need long sleeves. Worst case a sweater at night. July is hit or miss: you can have amazing dry spells for weeks, or a lingering drizzle throughout your stay.
westmidlandsguy likes this.

Last edited by RafKa; Jan 19, 20 at 4:43 pm
RafKa is offline  
Old Jan 19, 20, 5:13 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 159
I donít understand this question. A simple google search will tell you exactly what temperatures you can reasonably expect to see each day.
Esmjb is offline  
Old Jan 19, 20, 6:03 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Birmingham
Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver
Posts: 18
Well maybe because I want to? The same could be said for any question on this forum... thanks to the other person who actually answered my question instead of being unhelpful
westmidlandsguy is offline  
Old Jan 20, 20, 11:25 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: PHL
Programs: ex-US Gold, Accor Silver, AF apologist
Posts: 187
Originally Posted by RafKa View Post
A chilly winter day in Sao Paulo is like most summer days in London. At best you'll need long sleeves. Worst case a sweater at night. July is hit or miss: you can have amazing dry spells for weeks, or a lingering drizzle throughout your stay.
+1 I live in Philadelphia, where it is hot and humid in July. I had a conference in Belo Horizonte and we visited Sao Paulo, Rio, and Brasilia. It was a great time to go (in my opinion). No lines at Christ the Redeemer or Sugar Loaf, the beach was perfect too, though the locals thought that the 72F was a bit chilly for sun bathing. The day we had touring Sao Paulo was in the upper 60s/ low 70s, and we wore polo/ shorts and felt comfortable. Rio (in the mid 70s) was the same - shorts. Brasilia was a bit cooler, and we had sleeves and jeans.
mapboyPHL is offline  
Old Jan 20, 20, 2:49 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Birmingham
Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver
Posts: 18
Originally Posted by mapboyPHL View Post
+1 I live in Philadelphia, where it is hot and humid in July. I had a conference in Belo Horizonte and we visited Sao Paulo, Rio, and Brasilia. It was a great time to go (in my opinion). No lines at Christ the Redeemer or Sugar Loaf, the beach was perfect too, though the locals thought that the 72F was a bit chilly for sun bathing. The day we had touring Sao Paulo was in the upper 60s/ low 70s, and we wore polo/ shorts and felt comfortable. Rio (in the mid 70s) was the same - shorts. Brasilia was a bit cooler, and we had sleeves and jeans.
Great! Thank you for the help. It sounds very pleasant and I wonít be sweating buckets.
westmidlandsguy is offline  
Old Jan 20, 20, 5:59 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere between EZE , MAD and GLA
Programs: IB , BA , AA , AV
Posts: 467
It will be like Solihull in the summer....
malagajohn is offline  
Old Jan 20, 20, 6:47 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,667
Originally Posted by westmidlandsguy View Post
Hi all. I’ve recently booked a trip to Brazil in July and I will be visiting Rio and S„o Paulo. I’ve been reading online that S„o Paulo is quite chilly in July? Is this true? I know it’s winter but I didn’t realize it got that cold in July? Will I still be able to wear shorts and a t shirt (I’m from the UK so I’m quite used to the cold!) thanks!
Chilly in Brazil generally means that a tourist might want to carry a light sweater if going up to the heights (the Cristo) or at night, to wear over shorts, a T-shirt and sandals.
Usually wonderful weather for seeing the sights in Rio.
VidaNaPraia is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 4:00 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Birmingham
Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver
Posts: 18
Originally Posted by malagajohn View Post
It will be like Solihull in the summer....
Haha! That made me laugh! Thanks
malagajohn likes this.
westmidlandsguy is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 4:01 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Birmingham
Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver
Posts: 18
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia View Post
Chilly in Brazil generally means that a tourist might want to carry a light sweater if going up to the heights (the Cristo) or at night, to wear over shorts, a T-shirt and sandals.
Usually wonderful weather for seeing the sights in Rio.
Sounds like I picked a good time to visit! Thanks!
westmidlandsguy is offline  
Old Jan 25, 20, 4:07 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 830
I first visited SP around the July and August period (from the UK) and found it a little cool, mainly because I had the perception that no matter when you visit it is hot. This is not entirely the case, especially in SP.. SP can get cool but it is not so extreme that you will need more than a light jacket / sweater but I would have found it cold in shorts and t-shirt.

I would say it is probably like London in October time - cool start to the day, warms up and then gets cool again
ens100 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: