Riocentro Conference - Where to stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Riocentro Conference - Where to stay?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by farebucket
Thanks, all for your input. Riocentro as it has been represented to us is an asset from the Olympics that is being used for conferences. Address Av. Salvador Allende, 6555 Barra da Tijuca – Rio de Janeiro – RJ – Brasil.
Riocentro was inaugurated in 1977.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
I would advise against staying in Santa Teresa. While it’s a quaint' bohemian neighbourhood, it’s also surrounded by slums, and there’s been a big increase in crime there, driving away patrons of bars and hotels. Plus, you can’t really walk to anywhere from there (not even nearby Lapa).

Stay in Ipanema, Leblon or Copacabana. Hotel occupancy in Rio is at an all time low so I’m sure you can find good deals in the safer neighbourhoods which will work with your budget.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Barra itself is big, so don't assume that hotels in Barra are close to the conference center. Barra is also a lot safer than any of the Sud areas, where perhaps Ipanema is best as well as being closer to Barra than Copacabana.

For a wild nightlife, stay in one of the Sud areas, but if you instead want a quiet relaxing and more resort-like experience, I would recommend the (new) Grand Hyatt in Barra, especially if you're a WOH elite. Shortly before the Olympics, it was a hour taxi ride in the evening (not during rush hour) and IIRC cost about US$40-50.

If you've never been to Rio, please do not underestimate the safety issues, including in daylight or early evening hours near major Copacabana hotels also the beach.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Barra itself is big, so don't assume that hotels in Barra are close to the conference center. Barra is also a lot safer than any of the Sud areas, where perhaps Ipanema is best as well as being closer to Barra than Copacabana.

For a wild nightlife, stay in one of the Sud areas, but if you instead want a quiet relaxing and more resort-like experience, I would recommend the (new) Grand Hyatt in Barra, especially if you're a WOH elite. Shortly before the Olympics, it was a hour taxi ride in the evening (not during rush hour) and IIRC cost about US$40-50.

If you've never been to Rio, please do not underestimate the safety issues, including in daylight or early evening hours near major Copacabana hotels also the beach.
The JW Marriott at Copacabana is to be avoided then?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno
The JW Marriott at Copacabana is to be avoided then?
IMO only by some of the more "conservative" posters here overly worried about safety issues. Copacabana is still a local residential neighborhood with fairly expensive apartments. My friends currently live on Avenida Atlantica overlooking the beach. The main shopping and restaurant street is Avenida Nossa Senhora de Copacabana, back 2 blocks from that hotel.
I am usually solo (female, not Brazilian looking) in Rio and have never had problems with safety issues. I plan so as not to attract opportunistic crime, and am aware of my surroundings. (Bad luck can catch up with anyone in any city worldwide, though.) Stay off deserted streets in any neighborhood, not just Copacabana, and off the unlit beach (sand/water) itself at night. You can take taxis or Uber to one of the better restaurants after dark if you are concerned.
Xeno likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.