Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Riocentro Conference - Where to stay?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Riocentro Conference - Where to stay?

Thank you for the informative threads on where to stay when visiting Rio. Do opinions differ for first time visitor who will be spending daytime hours at a Riocentro conference?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
What will you be doing in the evenings?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
It might also help if you define the term "daytime hours" as Cariocas often work until 7 PM.......or at least the ones that I know do.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Conference runs from 10am-6pm. Looking to celebrate Carioca food, drink, music, dance, and anything else one should soak up on October evenings.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:01 pm

Where are you staying at night ?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Trying to figure out where to stay that is freight logical to Riocentro and has local flavor vs. an airport hotel or what I perceive is the sterile environs of Riocentro.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:43 am

What does freight logical mean? Anyways, definitely avoid airport and downtown. Ipanema/leblon/copacanaba (in that order) is where you want to be.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Freight logical to mean the tradeoff between commute time/difficulty to Riocentro and food, drink, music, dance options around the hotel. Or to flip it around, is it better to stay at Riocentro and commute to activities post conference.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:14 am

OK got it.

Pick a hotel where esmjb mentioned (Zona Sul) and take the metro back and forth to centro. Do not hang out downtown at night.

The metro is cheap, clean, safe, and convenient. My wife and I own a condo beside a metro station in Copacabana. You will want to be able to walk to and from your multiple evening activities. Any of the 3 areas he mentioned will work. They all have beaches, bars, restaurants, clubs, etc.......

Leblon $$$$$
Ipanema $$$$
Copa $$ - $$$$

Last edited by KDS777; Jun 23, 2018 at 8:20 am
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:00 am

[QUOTE=KDS777;29897807]OK got it.

Pick a hotel where esmjb mentioned (Zona Sul) and take the metro back and forth to centro. Do not hang out downtown at night.

I believe OP means the large convention center in Barra as Riocentro, not downtown Rio. But I second your advice : stay in Zona Sul, take the metro to Barra. From there, I believe OP can continue on BRT or even by Uber .
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Personally, I would avoid staying in Zona Sul, unless you fancy commuting for 1-2h each way.

I might be tempted to stay around Riocentro where there are lots of high-end, new hotels (Grand Mercure, Hilton) within easy reach of the conference. Once you’ve relaxed at the end of the work day, you can head out at 8pm to eat and drink without any traffic (you can hit the bars and restaurants in Barra or even Leblon (20 and 40 min respectively without traffic); on the days you feel lazy you can hit a mall for a meal and people watching). Budget-permitting, you can stay at the Hyatt which is by the beach, but near enough Riocentro.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Savonarola

I believe OP means the large convention center in Barra as Riocentro, not downtown Rio. But I second your advice : stay in Zona Sul, take the metro to Barra. From there, I believe OP can continue on BRT or even by Uber .
Kkkkkkkkk..........never heard of the place actually. Thought it was a typo meaning he was going downtown..........

Last edited by KDS777; Jun 28, 2018 at 8:57 am
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:34 am

I admit to thinking he met downtown as well. Now that I see where it is, I still recommend staying in zona sul. Do you want to take a stroll along the beach in the morning and at night? Have a drink on the sidewalk watching people play futevolei, volei, beach soccer and just relax? Just have to walk out the front door if you stay in zona sul. Stay in barra and you have to do a taxi to and fro.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
In a perfect world, OP should stay in Zona Sul (Ipanema or Leblon). However, sitting in a taxi for 3h each day might not be the best use of time in Rio.

If beachfront is high on the list, stay at the Hyatt in Barra (if on a tighter budget, the Novotel is also fine). Hyatt is walking distance to a few local bars and restaurants.

No, the OP won't be experiencing the most unique facets of Rio, but this isn't a vacation so there needs to be some compromise.

OP: let us know what you end up doing, and if you're up for some drinks in Zona Sul on one of the days, PM me.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks, all for your input. Riocentro as it has been represented to us is an asset from the Olympics that is being used for conferences. Address Av. Salvador Allende, 6555 Barra da Tijuca – Rio de Janeiro – RJ – Brasil.

Current plan is to come down early to enjoy happenings closer to Zona Sul, then move to Barra for the conference. Have budget limitations, so we have chosen Casa Geranio for the former and Windsor Marapendi for the latter.

Feel free to comment if we are going astray. Really appreciate the knowledge and dedication of this community.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.