Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

GOL airlines carry-on rules: strict or lax?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've got my first flight ever on GOL coming up. I checked their carry-on bag restrictions. They seem "normal" to me, albeit a little imprecise:
All passengers may travel with a carry-on bag weighing up to 10 kg (22 lbs) and a personal item like a handbag, laptop, tablet or a bag with products purchased at a duty-free shop.
In addition, they say the maximum size of the carry-on is 16 x 10 x 22 in. There are no measurements given for the additional "personal item."

So, in the real world, is there any "strict" enforcement of these rules? I have a regular USA-sized carry-on that I'm pretty sure would fit inside a sizer with those dimensions. I also think it wouldn't weigh more than 22 lbs. I'm more concerned about the imprecise "personal item" rule. On foreign trips, I like to travel with a relatively small backpack where I put my small laptop and a few books and papers, and maybe a small snack or two. Is that likely to get me hassled, or is the "personal item" interpretation similar to that used in the USA? In other words, do they carefully check carry-ons, or is it pretty chill?

Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:17 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
I've never been questioned, but I always try and book an exit row seat which gives me priority boarding anyway.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: Status? What's status?
I flew Gol twice in July, neither flight did they check the size or weight. Keep in mind I was connecting either from or two an international connection so perhaps they're a little more flexible in that situation.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Very lax... Having just lobbied the govt to remove the legal requirement for free checked luggage allowance, It’s not in their interest to start cracking down on carry-on to the point where passenger uproar might get the law reversed.

Yesterday at pre boarding they were offering to check any hand baggage for free (which everyone of course ignored, as a way of protesting the recent changes).
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RafKa
Very lax... Having just lobbied the govt to remove the legal requirement for free checked luggage allowance, It’s not in their interest to start cracking down on carry-on to the point where passenger uproar might get the law reversed.

Yesterday at pre boarding they were offering to check any hand baggage for free (which everyone of course ignored, as a way of protesting the recent changes).
I didn't see them hassle anyone on my flight, either -- although they did have a sizer box near the gate. I noticed that Brazilians had fewer carry-ons than Chileans. In Chile, I saw huge non-complaint bags. In Brazil, pax seemed to be playing it straight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.