Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overnight layover in GRU. What's best?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Overnight layover in GRU. What's best?

I get into GRU at 00:45 and leave the following day for Miami at 10:45. What are the best options? Would it be possible to get to town for a drink and then go to a hotel or will reasonable places be closed by the time I get out from the airport and get there. I'm a 46 yo woman and normally go out alone in SF, but have not been to Brazil and figuring it out at night seems a bit hectic. What's a nice and safe hotel near places open late?

Assuming that it's possible to go to the city, what time should I leave for the airport in order to make the 10:45 flight?

Thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Depending on your preferences, try the Pullman SP Guarulhos Airport. It is 1.7 miles away. About 10 minutes by bus, 5 minutes by crazed taxi driver. Was put up there once not long ago on an extremely late arrival and a bar that also serves food was still open. This was arounf 1 AM. Rooms were nice. I believe a number of airlines have their crews stay there. Guarulhos is actually outside of Sao Paulo and one runs the risk of horrendous traffic on the return in the morning. There are also a couple of places at the airport itself: TRYP São Paulo Guarulhos Airport and Slaviero Fast Sleep. Depending on whether you are doing domestic to International, or International to International or have a Brazilian visa may impact your choice.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:49 am

As mentioned, the town of Guarulhos, where the airport is located, is well outside the city of São Paulo, but it has a number of good hotels. In that rush hour in São Paulo is notorious, I too would advise staying in Guarulhos overnight and not attempting getting back to the airport from SP in the morning.
For a 10:45 international flight, arrive no less than 2 hours ahead. The trip to the airport from Guarulhos might take 20 minutes max, whereas the trip from São Paulo during morning rush could take 2 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.