Wiki Posts
Search

GRU transit: duty free?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM and 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
GRU transit: duty free?

OK, next week I am doing a transfer from Delta ATL-GRU to Gol GRU-MVD, and back again in a few days. I'll have two hours layover on the way there and six glorious hours on the way back. I have no visa so I'll have to stay airside. As a Delta Diamond in Business Class, I believe I'll be able to experience the joys of the GOL Smiles Lounge, such as it is, in Terminal 2.

I wanted to ask about duty free, something I haven't found a clear answer to. Are duty-free areas in the GRU airport accessible to transit-only passengers? Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:25 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
There are several shops just up the stairs/escalators from the Smiles lounge. I'm racking my brain trying to remember if any are DF. I'm almost sure that at least one is but if we don't have an answer before Sunday, I'm passing through GRU on my way home from SLZ and will report.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've transited in GRU Int-Int and tried but failed to distract the wife from the perfume counter which I assumed was duty free. Hard to tell nowadays as airport prices in S America don't tend to be any cheaper than land side especially in Buenos Aires.
What they do tend to have are brands not normally easily found in city centre shops. What exactly is it you are after?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks! I am just looking to kill some time, and score some bourbon and maybe chocolates before meeting the folks in MVD I am staying with. I think there's a pre-customs duty free in MVD as well.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I goofed-I was in T3 rather than T-2.
Plenty of DF in T3.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:01 am
Original Poster

T3 is the nice new one, correct? Delta seems to inhabit older terminals at quite a few airports... Can one do a quick run between T2 and T3 airside at GRU?

Thanks for reporting back!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.