Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Getting to Ilha Grande... or somewhere else?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2015, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!

I'll be in Rio on business in July, and will have one weekend free (from Friday afternoon around 2 until my plane's departure at 11:00 pm on Monday night). I'm considering going to Ilha Grande, but I'm not sure if it's possible to get there if I depart (from Centro) at 2:00. All the shared transfer services have morning departures, which won't work with my schedule. I'm willing to pay for a private transfer, but leaving at 2:00 means arriving on the island at dusk or later. Is this going to be possible? Can anyone suggest a company that does these transfers?

Anyway, I don't want to leave on Saturday morning because that would give me less than 2 full days on the island. In case Ilha Grande won't work out, I'd appreciate other suggestions for places to hike near Rio that are beautiful, peaceful and natural.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 1:24 pm

The Serra do Orgoes park offers hiking. You could consider a tour such as this: http://www.city-discovery.com/rio-de...ur.php?id=7435 Check out Teresopolis and Petropolis, the nearby cities, too.

Most people go to Ilha a Grande to hike to beaches to swim and snorkle. It may be a bit cool for swimming, but sunning might be OK in July on this pretty island.
Here's some info about transport: http://www.ilhagrande.org/Como-chegar-Ilha-Grande
The ferry crossing, from any of the 3 points, might be the catch, n both directions. Private boats are not always available.

You might also consider the mountains of Minas Gerais state, and charming Colonial towns such as Ouro Preto. There's an overnight bus from Rio to O.P.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Thanks for the transport link - that's very useful (with the help of Google Translate). It seems that there are late evening ferry departures from Mangaratiba and Conceição de Jacareí on Fridays -- which makes sense, as these times would accommodate people who want to get to the island after work on Friday to spend the weekend.

So it looks like my plan will be possible. Assuming, of course, that these late Friday departures will occur in July as well. And that I'll be able to figure out how to get from Rio to the pier without knowing a word of Portuguese...
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:49 am

You take a taxi to the main bus station, Novo Rio, and look for the Costa Verde booth. Thousands of non-Portuguese speaking tourists do it every year.
Pick up a small dictionary/phrase book before you leave for the trip.
Maybe print the page with the schedule to carry with you, point to the departure time, and confirm with the bus driver, saying simply "OK?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.