Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Driving from CGR to Bonito

Old Mar 23, 15, 6:21 am
Original Poster

We will arrive to CGR at 10PM, and we want to rent a car and drive to Bonito.
Is it safe to drive from CGR aiport to Bonito at night?
Old Mar 23, 15, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by YogiTraveler View Post
We will arrive to CGR at 10PM, and we want to rent a car and drive to Bonito.
Is it safe to drive from CGR aiport to Bonito at night?
First of all, it's a 5 hour or more drive, whcih I wouldn't want to do in a strange country under the best conditions.
Secondly, road conditions are not great.
Thirdly, it is not really safe to drive anywhere in Brazil at night. Even buses often go in convoys.
And fourth, Tom Jobim is quoted as saying "Brazil is not for beginners."
Fifth, if you don't understand all of the above very well, take the bus. Do not attempt to drive in Brazil.
----------
(and Six, ignore unreliable advice you're going to get from the other site where you posted before this, esp. since the main responder gets his info from the internet and has not spent much time in country and little if any outside Rio)
Old Mar 23, 15, 9:22 am

No idea. But it's always safer driving during the day.
Old Mar 23, 15, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia View Post
First of all, it's a 5 hour or more drive, whcih I wouldn't want to do in a strange country under the best conditions.
Secondly, road conditions are not great.
Thirdly, it is not really safe to drive anywhere in Brazil at night. Even buses often go in convoys.
And fourth, Tom Jobim is quoted as saying "Brazil is not for beginners."
Fifth, if you don't understand all of the above very well, take the bus. Do not attempt to drive in Brazil.
----------
(and Six, ignore unreliable advice you're going to get from the other site where you posted before this, esp. since the main responder gets his info from the internet and has not spent much time in country and little if any outside Rio)
Thanks VidaNaPraia for taking the time to answer me!
Old Mar 23, 15, 10:08 am

Well, I don't know what kind of driving conditions you are used to in Poland, but I sure hope you heed my advice not to drive in Brazil, especially not at night.
Old Mar 24, 15, 10:48 am

As VidaNaPraia says, spend the night in Campo Grande and take the bus next morning. I would not drive at night in that region and have been living in Brazil for 9 years.
Old Mar 24, 15, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvdecastro View Post
As VidaNaPraia says, spend the night in Campo Grande and take the bus next morning. I would not drive at night in that region and have been living in Brazil for 9 years.
pvdecastro thanks, decided to spend night in Campo Grande,

what do You think about driving next day in the morning?
Old Mar 25, 15, 6:34 am

One other thing to remember is that most water features require a guide, and that includes transportation, so a car is not necessary locally once in Bonito.
Old Mar 30, 15, 8:31 am

Good morning, I am Brazilian, and I live 200 km from the town of Bonito, and there is a unique way to get from CGR to Bonito, which is passing the city of Aquidauana. Until Aquidauna there is a bit of truck movement, and the track is not dubbed. Starting of Aquidauana, reduce, much movement, so if something happens (a flat tire), ask for help would be complicated.

Then I suggest your trip is made of day, not to be dangerous at night, but by reason of being very deserted. I am the city of "Dourados".

Hugs.

Last edited by gokusander; Mar 31, 15 at 8:11 am
Old Mar 30, 15, 3:50 pm

Obrigada para contribuir, gokusander. O ponto do visto de alguem que mora perto e' importante.
Tenta de escrever mais uma vez, mais claro. (Talvez Google translate pode ajudar, mas depois usa o dicionario.)

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Mar 31, 15 at 9:14 am
Old Mar 31, 15, 8:16 am

Good morning, I am Brazilian, and I live 200 km from the town of Bonito, and there is a unique way to get from CGR to Bonito, which is passing the city of Aquidauana. Until Aquidauna has a bit of truck movement, and the track is not two ways. Starting of Aquidauana, reduce, much movement, so if something happens (a flat tire), ask for help would be complicated.
Then I suggest your trip is made of day, not to be dangerous at night, but by reason of being very deserted. I am the city of "Dourados".
Hugs.

Ps.: VidaNaPraia thanks for your help in my english . Are you Brasilian?
Old Mar 31, 15, 8:22 am

Good morning, I am Brazilian, and I live 200 km from the town of Bonito, and there is a unique way to get from CGR to Bonito, which is passing the city of Aquidauana. Until Aquidauna has a bit of truck movement, and the track is not two ways. Starting of Aquidauana, reduce, much movement, so if something happens (s flat tire), ask for help would be complicated.
Then I suggest your trip is made of day, not to be dangerous at night, but by reason of being very deserted. I am the city of Golden.
Hugs.

With respect to go by bus to Bonito, I who live here in the region would not bus. Would actually drive. Hotels in the city is very expensive, and also rides (where the dollar for you would be much cheaper).

And with the car you have more freedom to go where you want. And if taking the bus, you are lucky enough to get some that no harm has bathroom smell.

But do not deny that does have excellent bus, but it is very time consuming. And sure they will charge high values being American (referring to taxis).

Hugs.

ps .: Sorry for my bad English.

Last edited by Prospero; Mar 31, 15 at 4:22 pm Reason: Repair quotation box
Old Mar 31, 15, 12:05 pm

Amazingly, I used the "Google Translator". But, I will try as much as possible to explain the situation in Brazil. And VidaNaPraia, any error in my English, you say at home that I will correct.

Here we go:

Go car "Campo Grande" to the city of "Bonito", suggest going by rental car.

Reasons:

1. The bus from one city to the other, are not luxury. Only have air conditioning, but sometimes do not have air conditioning. Go luck.

2. Taxi is crazy. Because they are foreign, will charge very high values ​​of you. The Brazilians have this tendency to take advantage of tourists --'.

3. The roads are single track, not the Two-Way. And yes, there are roads in perfect condition. Will come across holes in the road.

4. The road is a bit deserted at night. If you drive, I suggest you go from day to that if something happens, can help. (Never punctured the tire of the car with me, but ... you will know is not?)

5. If you want to help to buy bus pass can help ease.

Anything I'm here to help.

Ps .: My English sucks, I used Google, loooool.
Ps .: Enabling email notifications when responding here?

hugs.

Search this Thread