Community
Wiki Posts
Search

any Brazil based wine lovers...?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:16 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Post any Brazil based wine lovers...?

My apologies for the quasi-OMNI thread, but since this is Brazil specific I thought I would post it here. Do we have any Brazil based wine aficionados here...? Please post here if you "qualify" as a whino... ^
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:59 pm

It's a hardship to be in most of Brazil and a wine aficionado. 'Cancao' is popular among many locals here.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:48 am

Wine-lovers in Brazil drink wine from Chile, Argentina and other countries. I've had a couple of decent Brazilian wines but can't remember which.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Depends what you mean by aficionado. When I have to shell out U$50 for a bottle of Achaval Ferrer Malbec 2012 as I did yesterday at a restaurant in Rio, and the same bottle goes for U$15 in BsAs (correct me if I'm wrong), then it is very difficult to be an aficionado in Brazil, since proper high-quality wines are absolutely unaffordable, unless you're charging illicit commission from Petrobras.

Also, the 40 degree summer temperatures don't lend themselves very well to complex wines, but yes, there are more and more "aficionados" here. Most of them still head for the Disney-esque tour at Concha y Toro.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:11 pm

Lots of excellent wines to be had, from Chile, Argentina, South Africa, Portugal, France, etc. Brazil more of a beer country, though most (not all) of the beers are very light, a la Budweiser.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
It's a hardship to be in most of Brazil and a wine aficionado. 'Cancao' is popular among many locals here.
I had to google that. Sweet red table wine? Ugggh. No thanks.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:38 am
HMO

At least you didn't suggest "Chapinha".

A friend gave me one bottle as joke, but even to season meat this thing isn't good enough...
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Isnt it a sort of contradiction to talk abouth Brasil and wine,donow,like Thailand grand crues??
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:11 pm
HMO

Brazil is one of the 20 largest wine producers in the world!

Ok, ok, quantity isn't the same as quality...
Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:04 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...ine-radar.html

About wine in Brazil
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
I just love the bit at the end on "Three Cachaças to Catch"... Kind of like writing an article on up-and-coming boutique breweries in the US, and then doing a feature on Budweiser, Miller, and Coors...
Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Post wine door to door to Brazil

Originally Posted by RafKa
Depends what you mean by aficionado. When I have to shell out U$50 for a bottle of Achaval Ferrer Malbec 2012 as I did yesterday at a restaurant in Rio, and the same bottle goes for U$15 in BsAs (correct me if I'm wrong), then it is very difficult to be an aficionado in Brazil, since proper high-quality wines are absolutely unaffordable, unless you're charging illicit commission from Petrobras.
Current price in EZE for a bottle of Achaval Malbec Mendoza is a little over US$20 a bottle, how much over twenty dollars will depend on what exchange rate you want to use.

I have a rather small client list in Brazil and they always complain about the very high cost of the top quality Argentine Wines, it seems like there is a Cartel of sorts that controls most of the imports coming in from Mendoza.

I've just started a new door to door wine delivery service to Brazil which works well, but is unfortunately not inexpensive. However, for those that are interested in the high-end wines from Mendoza, Salta and Patagonia - this does give you a chance to get some gems that are not available even in San Paulo or Rio, and also play a little arbitrage game with some of the top labels that are (sometimes) available - this will depend on what the blue dollar exchange rate is doing in the EZE financial district.....

For those that are interested in hearing more, please feel free to email, PM or else post here.... ^
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:16 pm

I'm sure I wan't the only one waiting for the other shoe to drop.....and sadly, wasn't disappointed.
Old May 8, 2015, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

On the subject of Wines made in Brazil, I must go on record and say that a few Brazilian sparklers have surprised me (in a positive way). Have had no such luck with the reds Ive tried, perhaps I still need a Brazilian "expert" to point me in the right direction....
Old May 11, 2015, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Related question..... can someone based in Brazil confirm if Chile has some sort of special arrangement with Brazil regarding import tariffs on Wine...? Im going back & forth with a GRU based client of mine on wine prices and Im trying to understand where the pricing he is giving me is coming from.

Thanks !!!
Gaucho100K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.