Wiki Posts
Search

any Brazil based wine lovers...?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2015, 2:06 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Related question..... can someone based in Brazil confirm if Chile has some sort of special arrangement with Brazil regarding import tariffs on Wine...? Im going back & forth with a GRU based client of mine on wine prices and Im trying to understand where the pricing he is giving me is coming from.

Thanks !!!
Gaucho100K
Yes. See the full text of the agreement in the first link and the comment on the cost of production of Chilean wine on the second link.

http://www.desenvolvimento.gov.br/si...u=461&refr=405

http://www.seagri.ba.gov.br/noticias...e-press%C3%A3o

(I believe you can read portuguese; no?)
Old May 12, 2015, 7:03 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by NPF
(I believe you can read portuguese; no?)
More like Portuniol.....

But I will get by, after all, Xuxa was my teacher.... ^

Thanks for the information.
Old May 12, 2015, 7:31 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
More like Portuniol.....

But I will get by, after all, Xuxa was my teacher.... ^

Thanks for the information.
Portuniol (Portugnol?) is fine; it's like we speak Spanish also
Old May 13, 2015, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by NPF
Portuniol (Portugnol?) is fine; it's like we speak Spanish also
Agreed !!!!! ^
Old May 15, 2015, 4:59 am

......after all, Xuxa was my teacher.... ^
Is there a "gag me with a spoon" emoticon?
Old May 15, 2015, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
Is there a "gag me with a spoon" emoticon?
Don't mess with Xuxa.......
Old May 15, 2015, 10:05 am

Don't mess with Xuxa.......
She is only marginally less annoying than Anna Maria Braga and her sidekick Loiro.
And I did !
Xuxa had the temerity to order a popular public beach in Salvador closed so that she could film there, her crew zooming up and down the sand on their ATVs to "patrol" while they waited for her. I told 'em I was swimming my daily laps there even if I had to enter from the next cove over, and if/when she showed up, they could drag me out of the water if they didn't want me in the shot. Ever since then..........
Old May 17, 2015, 9:25 am
Original Poster

I imagine that like many "stars", Xuxa does have her prima-donna moments. Given my puppy love for her, I mostly think she can do no wrong....

Now.. back to Wine Talk please !!!!!
Old May 17, 2015, 9:41 am

Now.. back to Wine Talk please !!!!!
OK, suggest something nice that would be available here in Salvador without breaking the bank. Very hard to find something decent here, particularly outside the imported food shops, similar to the type of Malbec found in the US for U$10-20 (which we drink a lot of), or a refreshing white. I really don't much bother with wine while here, stick to beer and caipi-drinks because of bad experiences (Cancao).
Old May 17, 2015, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
OK, suggest something nice that would be available here in Salvador without breaking the bank. Very hard to find something decent here, particularly outside the imported food shops, similar to the type of Malbec found in the US for U$10-20 (which we drink a lot of), or a refreshing white. I really don't much bother with wine while here, stick to beer and caipi-drinks because of bad experiences (Cancao).
I think you have summed it up quite nicely.... given your location, beer would seem to be your best option. While the geographic location in itself is not an issue, sadly the price for door to door deliveries to Brazil is very very expensive, so unless you have an extremely serious wine "sickness" that would allow you to spend US$25 per bottle only on logistics taxes & duties, then that in itself is most unfortunately a game killer.

The only option I see for me to assist you would be to have you visit a good local Wine Shop you would care to do business with, and get them to prepare you a list of the Argentine wines that they offer in the price range that you are comfortable with... you can then post this list here and I can then give you my input/suggestions for you to make a few purchases.
Old May 18, 2015, 5:14 am

Geographic location is indeed a problem, though. We have Bom Preco supermarket and a few small shops. A shop dedicated to wine is unheard of, even I think in the more upscale neighborhoods in the city proper.
And we in this neighborhood do not get mail delivered or notification that any has arrived.
Brazil is also notorious for packages, esp. from outside the country, not arriving at their destination wherever one is located. Some customs official would be having himself a lovely libation with dinner, I'm afraid.
Old May 18, 2015, 6:03 pm
HMO

At least for domestic packages, there is an automatic insurance up to R$50 for PAC and SEDEX, for larger amounts you can hire insurance (1,5% of the declared amount). And you can also ask for reimbursement of the post fare, if you never receive the package.

Usually when you call Correios asking for the insurance or fare reimbursement, usually the package miraculous appears at destination in a couple of days.
Old May 19, 2015, 10:40 am

Well, we live in Itu ( about 90kms from S. Paulo ) and our local Pao de Açucar ( which is a bit more upscale supermarket ) has a quite decent selection of wines.

I can usually find most brands I used to drink in Portugal that although pricier than in Europe are still ok for Brazil. ( 15 to 20 USD will get you a fairly decent portuguese wine ).

There´s also plenty of choice from Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Spain, Italy and some South Africans.

I don´t drink Brazilian wine, only sparkling which can be quite good ( Cave Gueisse is a favorite ).
Old May 19, 2015, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Yes, Brazilian Sparkling wine can be good... and the top end stuff can even be surprisingly good.....
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I will be in Sao Paulo next month. What Sparkiing Wine would you suggest that is reasonably priced and available to purchase (and where)? Curious to explore what is on offer. Thanks and Happy drinking..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.