Brazilian Bank Machines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brazilian Bank Machines

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by jfidler
One thing to try if you're desperate is to go to the airport ATMs. In my experience, they were more likely to work with foreign ATM cards.
The ATMs at GIG are notorious for problems with cloning. Many reports on various forums. Beware.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Carry cash!
so you can be mugged and loose it all...
Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:45 pm

I would appreciate a report back. All my banking is at RBC and none of my cards have the cirus logo. I have to be in brazil in march and wonder what CDN back i should set up an account with to use on this trip, also to keep it separate from all my other accounts.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
The ATMs at GIG are notorious for problems with cloning. Many reports on various forums. Beware.
Thanks for the tip. I've always assumed airport ATMs are some of the safest since the airport is a highly-trafficked area with lots of security and cameras = difficult to go and put a skimmer device on the ATM.. but apparently my perception was wrong.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Originally Posted by mkjr
I would appreciate a report back. All my banking is at RBC and none of my cards have the cirus logo. I have to be in brazil in march and wonder what CDN back i should set up an account with to use on this trip, also to keep it separate from all my other accounts.
I bank with RBC too and they are of little help. RBC does not have an affiliate bank here or any presence at least in Rio. Further I wrote to my local manager and he reports that RBC does not have a client card with the VISA symbol on it but apparently other banks (CIBC as per above exchange) does. When I get back I will be looking into that.

However the private banking machines found in a few hotels will work for me but at a charge of 12Rias, which I will pay simply to have cash. One that works is the one in the business centre of the Copabanana Palace hotel. There is also one at Royal Tulip but was out of cash when I was there, and finally from my previous trip here in August, the Sheraton Barra has a working ATM.

The only other option is a cash advance against a CC. This seems to work.

Be forewarned about the Brazilian banking machines!! THis is the only country where I have had problems.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: Jetblue Mosaic, Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
I'm sort of worried about this as going to Brazil for the first time next week. Probably will carry a 2nd debit card and traveler's checks just in case.

That being said, there are like 14 debit card networks (Cirrus and PLUS being big international ones) and while they work with MC and Visa for acceptance as a payment platform, to make an ATM withdrawal the machine needs to be able to talk to your bank's network (if it can talk to international networks at all).
Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by 100,000miler
I bank with RBC too and they are of little help. RBC does not have an affiliate bank here or any presence at least in Rio. Further I wrote to my local manager and he reports that RBC does not have a client card with the VISA symbol on it but apparently other banks (CIBC as per above exchange) does. When I get back I will be looking into that.

However the private banking machines found in a few hotels will work for me but at a charge of 12Rias, which I will pay simply to have cash. One that works is the one in the business centre of the Copabanana Palace hotel. There is also one at Royal Tulip but was out of cash when I was there, and finally from my previous trip here in August, the Sheraton Barra has a working ATM.

The only other option is a cash advance against a CC. This seems to work.

Be forewarned about the Brazilian banking machines!! THis is the only country where I have had problems.
Thanks. As another poster notes I might take some tcs just in case.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by eastofthemississippi
I'm sort of worried about this as going to Brazil for the first time next week. Probably will carry a 2nd debit card and traveler's checks just in case.
Traveler's checks are almost worthless in Brazil. You would likely spend the best part of a day in line at the bank to get them cashed. No business would accept them.
Until fairly recently (bearing in mind I've been going to Brazil for decades now), hardly anyplace took cards, so I got used to carrying cash in dollars to change at the casas do cambio and never had any problems.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:46 pm

Traveler's checks are almost worthless in Brazil. You would likely spend the best part of a day in line at the bank to get them cashed. No business would accept them.
Until fairly recently (bearing in mind I've been going to Brazil for decades now), hardly anyplace took cards, so I got used to carrying cash in dollars to change at the casas do cambio and never had any problems.
In Japan, no,worries carrying excess cash. From what I read, not as comforable carrying lots of excess US$ cash in Brazil...
Old Jan 14, 2014, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Thanks. As another poster notes I might take some tcs just in case.
Bring cash.....I find TCs to be a pain in the butt, even in Europe or NYC and they likely will be hard to cash even here. You would likely have to go into a bank and try to cash them but be forewarned the banks here in Brazil do not have tellers the way they do in the rest of the world. 99% of stuff is done on ATMs.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I've been traveling to Brazil for years, and I use a Visa/Plus-branded debit card from Schwab in the US. I've never had a particular problem using it to withdraw funds from ATMs. Yes, there are some machines that don't work with the international networks, but my experience has been fine at most bank branches as well as at off-site ATMs in places like supermarkets.

It sounds like the OP's issue isn't with Brazil but rather with his card - it's not connected to the main international network down there.

I'd suggest the OP seek to get a Visa-branded debit card for international use upon returning home.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:03 pm

In Japan, no,worries carrying excess cash. From what I read, not as comforable carrying lots of excess US$ cash in Brazil...
From what you read, what experience csn you possibly bring to bear on how any situation feels in Brazil? Perceptions of conditions by those in very unfamiliar surroundings (where rundown may not signify unsafe and modern chic may not signify safe) in Brazil are often misleading to them (both tourists and often including reporters) and anyone reading their postings.
Please don't make any more deliberate efforts to spread misinformation based on someone else's experience, not your own.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:41 pm

From what you read, what experience csn you possibly bring to bear on how any situation feels in Brazil? Perceptions of conditions by those in very unfamiliar surroundings (where rundown may not signify unsafe and modern chic may not signify safe) in Brazil are often misleading to them (both tourists and often including reporters) and anyone reading their postings.
Please don't make any more deliberate efforts to spread misinformation based on someone else's experience, not your own.
whatever.

what i read is from our (very reputable) global security advisors (we send people all over the world)...don't take this personally but i will take their word over the word of some person on flyertalk....
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:59 pm

whatever.

what i read is from our (very reputable) global security advisors (we send people all over the world)...don't take this personally but i will take their word over the word of some person on flyertalk....
Global security advisors work with a different population than the average tourist. If you are a known super rich resident of São Paulo, or importsnt senior employee of a wealthy corporation, with a predictable regular schedule and vulnerable dependents who could be kidnapped for ransom, maybe you should hire a bodyguard and/or bulletproof your vehicles.
For the rest of us travelers, we have no reason to be constantly looking over our shoulders, worried about an armed robbery, and ruining our enjoyment of a wonderful place.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 5:54 pm

Right, but always have some money ready to hand over in case of a robbery, without which the robber may feel cheated out of his due and become violent.

Most importantly, do not confront the robber in any way as a simple robbery may very easily escalte to violence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.