Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Brazilian Bank Machines

Brazilian Bank Machines

Old Jan 9, 14, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Brazilian Bank Machines

Warning. Your international banking cards still do now work at ATMs in Brazil. I experienced this problem in August and I am back and still same BS. The only option appears to be to get a cash advance off a CC and we all know what that means.

I was told in August the problem was they were upgrading the machines for the world cup. Well that was 6 months ago.

If any one knows more, or a way around this problem, let me know. I am in RIO right now.

I was told by a TAM pilot he has the same problems in the US. Weird.

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 9, 14 at 6:12 pm
Old Jan 9, 14, 6:11 pm

Programs: SEMM,SPG Plat
I have had no problem using my RBC debit card to withdraw money in Brazil.
I think it was HSBC maybe?
Old Jan 9, 14, 6:13 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Carry cash!
Old Jan 9, 14, 6:14 pm

Programs: AC*E, SPG G, Nexus, GE
Hi, this is not true. It just depends on finding the right ATM. You need to find an ATM that satisfies these conditions:

1.) ATM that is attached to a physical bank... this will ensure that the ATM is connected to the bank which is connected to international network. An ATM that is not connected to a bank location (for example at a kiosk or in the mall) is probably not connected internationally.
2.) Make sure you see the logo for Cirrus or VISA on the front of the machine. This means the ATM is part of the Visa or Mastercard network which can connect to your bank account.

I have the most success with Banco do Brasil, but also had success with Santander and Bradesco.
Old Jan 9, 14, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Originally Posted by Nima Motamedi View Post
Hi, this is not true. It just depends on finding the right ATM. You need to find an ATM that satisfies these conditions:

1.) ATM that is attached to a physical bank... this will ensure that the ATM is connected to the bank which is connected to international network. An ATM that is not connected to a bank location (for example at a kiosk or in the mall) is probably not connected internationally.
2.) Make sure you see the logo for Cirrus or VISA on the front of the machine. This means the ATM is part of the Visa or Mastercard network which can connect to your bank account.

I have the most success with Banco do Brasil, but also had success with Santander and Bradesco.
Baloney. I have tried Santander, Bradesco, Banco do Brazi, ltau and HSBC. Constantly get error messages. This transaction is not authorized by the card issuer. B.S.

I will keep trying as you have given me some hope but I can tell you at GRU airport yesterday none of them would work. And yes, I did notify my Canadian bank of my travel plans.
Old Jan 9, 14, 6:28 pm

Do you have a debit card issued by VISA?
Old Jan 9, 14, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Do you have a debit card issued by VISA?
My debt card is issued by RBC. I am not sure what you mean but this could be important information.
Old Jan 9, 14, 6:37 pm

Check the back of your card for logos for CIRRUS or VISA. If there is no logo, it wont connect to Mastercard/VISA network which in return wont connect to the bank.

When I travel to Brasil, I've always used my debit card (issued by VISA). Looks like this:
https://www.cibc.com/ca/img/how-to-b...a-debit-en.jpg

Unfortunately, not much you can do now until you get a new card.
Old Jan 9, 14, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Check the back of your card for logos for CIRRUS or VISA. If there is no logo, it wont connect to Mastercard/VISA network which in return wont connect to the bank.

When I travel to Brasil, I've always used my debit card (issued by VISA). Looks like this:
https://www.cibc.com/ca/img/how-to-b...a-debit-en.jpg

Unfortunately, not much you can do now until you get a new card.

Thanks so much for this information. My RBC card has only INTERAC and PLUS on the back. This must be the problem. I will take it up with my bank manager when I get back. In the meanwhile it is cash advances for the next 10 days!!! YIKES.
Old Jan 9, 14, 6:55 pm

I'm pretty sure this is the issue.

Both my debit cards (Canada bank and USA bank) have been issued by VISA and I am able to withdraw money from ATM with the visa or cirrus/mastercard logo.

Good luck! and I hope you find solace in the fact that it is summer in Rio with temperatures reaching 40c, whereas Canada is -40c
Old Jan 9, 14, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

I'm pretty sure this is the issue.

Both my debit cards (Canada bank and USA bank) have been issued by VISA and I am able to withdraw money from ATM with the visa or cirrus/mastercard logo.

Good luck! and I hope you find solace in the fact that it is summer in Rio with temperatures reaching 40c, whereas Canada is -40c
Thanks so much again. I have sent off a message to my bank manager in hopes he can upgrade my card. You are the first person to explain this properly to me and I greatly appreciate your insight. I was here in August for a conference and all the delegates were complaining about the same problem. I even took a taxi in Barra from bank to bank and came up with nothing.

Nevertheless, it is rather strange as my card works everywhere else, from China, to Argentina, to Europe. Brazil is the only country where I have consistently encountered these problems. Just wait till the masses come here for the World Cup or the Olympics, it will be a mess.
Old Jan 9, 14, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA MM, UA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 100,000miler View Post
My RBC card has only INTERAC and PLUS on the back. This must be the problem.
PLUS is the same as VISA (at least, as far as I am concerned when searching for an ATM to use overseas). My ATM card has a VISA logo on the front and a PLUS logo on the back. I have had no problems using it in Brazil or in any other country I've visited (which is a good thing, because I carry very little backup cash).

Shot in the dark: You have a 4-digit PIN, correct?

When you hear from your bank, please report back and let us know what you find out; it might help someone else in the future.
Old Jan 9, 14, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikew99 View Post
PLUS is the same as VISA (at least, as far as I am concerned when searching for an ATM to use overseas). My ATM card has a VISA logo on the front and a PLUS logo on the back. I have had no problems using it in Brazil or in any other country I've visited (which is a good thing, because I carry very little backup cash).

Shot in the dark: You have a 4-digit PIN, correct?

When you hear from your bank, please report back and let us know what you find out; it might help someone else in the future.
Yes 4 digit pin on my RBC card, and I should mention I am an RBC VIP member. This problem is terrible so I hope the solution is in hand. Only in Brazil does this happen and I come here twice a year. I even tried to get RIAS in Ottawa but one needs 4 business days and I missed the window.
Old Jan 9, 14, 10:47 pm

Programs: SK*S OZ*G
I had the same problem a number of years ago, specifically in Brazil. We had to go from bank to bank and finally found one that took our US ATM cards.

One thing to try if you're desperate is to go to the airport ATMs. In my experience, they were more likely to work with foreign ATM cards.
Old Jan 10, 14, 6:17 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by jfidler View Post
One thing to try if you're desperate is to go to the airport ATMs. In my experience, they were more likely to work with foreign ATM cards.
Originally Posted by 100,000miler View Post
... but I can tell you at GRU airport yesterday none of them would work.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: