Saturday - ?
your gf being from Minas Gerais will certainly like the Milton Nascimento show:

http://www.last.fm/event/3365165+Mil...os+de+carreira

buy tickets here: http://www.vivorio.com.br/shows_detalhe.asp?ID=482

Last edited by boboqui; Sep 24, 2012 at 6:43 pm
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:37 am
Original Poster

^ Thanks a lot!

Big day tomorrow. Long flight ahead and I'll check in here from BH in two days!

I'm excited for Rio next week!
Old Sep 29, 2012, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Third day in Belo. Reactions:
- gotta be careful while being a pedestrian. drivers don't care about you.
- gotta be careful when driving. everybody here is a race car driver.
- so many Beetles!
- so many women!
- roads are absolutely horrible - speed bumps everywhere!
- alcohol is about 50% cheaper anywhere compared to USA.

Two more days till Rio. Still open to more suggestions
Old Sep 29, 2012, 8:51 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
Nice to hear back from you. It would be interesting if you could comment on what you have done (from the suggestions here) as well as offer some other recommendations based on your experiences.

Originally Posted by rc89pl
- gotta be careful while being a pedestrian. drivers don't care about you. True, unfortunately.
- gotta be careful when driving. everybody here is a race car driver. I disagree on this one. Are you US based? Drivers there are too slow . . .
- so many Beetles!
- so many women! Behave yourself, or the rest of your trip will be w/o GF!
- roads are absolutely horrible - speed bumps everywhere! True, I hate them, even more so than the also ubiquitous craters (at least the craters were not put on the roads intentionally)
- alcohol is about 50% cheaper anywhere compared to USA. Only Cachaa, Choppe and Beer, higher grade alcohols will be more expensive
Old Sep 30, 2012, 7:52 am
Original Poster

I've been a bit busy with the wedding last minute and some souvenirs shopping in the center of BH. Leaving to Rio tomorrow so looking to use some of the advices from here there.

Took a bus to the city. It was a very exciting experience. I honestly felt like in a race car, that carried 20 people at the same time.

Oh and what I found absolutely insane was how everyone is involved in the local futebol games, when Atletico or Cruzeiro plays. On the way to the wedding I saw 5 (!!) multiple car crashes and one bike crash. All in perfect driving conditions. Knowing everyone was blasting the game in the radio, this was surely one of the contributing factors of those crashes.

Again, Rio tomorrow. Can't wait. Decided to stay one more day there, till Sunday.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

I'm in Rio. Went to Corcovado and it was absolutely a blast. Took a bus 583 there and then switched to a bus for 25R that drove us up to another location from where you could see the sugar loaf and then they drove us to another bus that cost $25R that got us through the gate to the stairs near the Cristo. Great weather, awesome time.

Now it's Tuesday night and contemplating which bar/restaurant to go to. Perhaps something with some live music?

We were told to go to Lapa on Thursday/Friday. Any recommendation there?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:10 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
We were told to go to Lapa on Thursday/Friday. Any recommendation there?
Am I correct in believing that your GF is Brazilian? If so (or someone else speaks Portuguese), look at
http://www.lanalapa.com.br/default.asp
which is a website that lists all events (music/shows/...) each week at Lapa.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:25 am

In Lapa, Scenarium and Carioca da Gema are good choices.
There is a good samba/pagode jam at BipBip bar in Copacabana most nights, Tues & Sun esp.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Went to Scenarium last night. Great samba music and good crowd. We were seated right by the scene so it was even better.

Yes, girlfriend is brazilian so I have my personal translator.

Got lost on a way to lapa. Took the metro to Carioca and then walked through some of the scariest parts of Rio, I'm guessing Made it safe to Scenarium though.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:31 am

Those streets are not, by far IMO, some of the "scariest" parts of Rio for a newbie gringo.

(May I suggest better prep--i.e. thorough look at map before leaving--and to more prudently take taxis more often after dark. You may not always be so lucky.)

Glad you enjoyed the music and ambience at Scenarium though.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 3:45 pm

Check this out: http://www.rioturismoradical.com.br/...edrabonita.htm

or this: http://www.barraleme.com/radicalPedraGavea.htm

or this: http://pt.rioxtreme.com/HikingTours

-

Last edited by boboqui; Oct 5, 2012 at 3:51 pm
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:15 am
Original Poster

great time. thanks everyone for advices.

vidanapraia - we managed to get a ride to ouro preto two days ago. magnificent place. it was so pretty, thanks for your advice. i'll post some more pictures soon!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:16 pm

Looks like you lucked out and got a relatively clear day to go up there. Classic photos!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

All 6 days were incredibly nice and sunny. I wish tickets to Rio weren't that expensive or I would be there every month. Amazing place.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 9:41 am

Third day in Belo. Reactions:
- gotta be careful while being a pedestrian. drivers don't care about you.
- gotta be careful when driving. everybody here is a race car driver.
- so many Beetles!
- so many women!
- roads are absolutely horrible - speed bumps everywhere!
- alcohol is about 50% cheaper anywhere compared to USA.

Two more days till Rio. Still open to more suggestions
-Lack of care for pedestrians applies everywhere in Brazil. Not that they respect other cars, either, but pedestrians are more vulnterable.
-So many Beetles? You mean the VWs? Fuscas.
-Roads being horrible because there are so many speed bumps: in many places, such as here in Fortaleza, the majoriity of speed bumps are de facto speed bumps (holes in the road). Once you've seen Brazilian drivers long enough you'll know why there are speed bumps. Brazilians may have a rep for being carefree and not in a rush, but once in a car they change.
-Domestic alcohol, as in cachaa, may be cheaper than in the U.S., but most decent beer is pretty equivalent in price to what you'd pay in the U.S. (and most of it pretty weak, a la Budweiser, though there are some nice micro brews), and imported booze is much, much pricier than in the States.
-So many women: well, just grin and bear it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.