Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sleeping at GIG?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2010, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Sleeping at GIG?

Long story short - United Mileage Plus/TAM messed up my itinerary and cancelled one of my confirmed seats, and now instead of having a full day in Rio (after returning there from Foz de Iguacu at what was supposed to be 8 am on 1/4) before a 6 am departure on 1/5 GIG-JFK, I only have 12 hours (arriving from Iguaca to GIG at 5:45 pm on 1/4 with 6 am next day departure). I've heard the hotels at GIG are absolutely vile and not worth the money, but I don't want to keep my reservation at the Sheraton Rio (and pay for roundtrip taxis in traffic) just for a few hours in bed.

Does anyone know if GIG stays open all night and allows people to camp out on benches? Alternately, does the TAM lounge stay open and possibly sell one-time access passes? Or is there a Delta/Skyteam lounge in a different terminal that I can access even though I'll only have a TAM boarding pass (I am Delta Silver Medallion but have some one-time lounge passes).

Thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
http://www.sleepinginairports.net/casa/riodejaneiro.htm

Try sleepinginairports.com posted by people who have been there, done that
Old Dec 14, 2010, 7:02 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
I would pay a day-use for the hotel inside GIG which is located in Terminal 1 (Luxor Hotel). The hotel is horrible, but at least you can get a bed, sleep and have a shower. Plus the restaurant of the hotel has a nice steak which you should try. I think the hotel day-use rate is about R$200.

http://www.luxorhoteis.com.br/br/hot...eiro/index.php

Rgs,
Old Dec 14, 2010, 4:26 pm

Sleeping in Airports (Rio): http://www.sleepinginairports.com/casa/riodejaneiro.htm

-There are two "hotels" in GIG: From a Web site on the airport: "Airport hotels include the four-star Luxor Hotel (tel: (021) 2468 8998 or 0800 282 2070) on level 3 in Terminal 1 and the three-star Hotel Pousada (tel: (021) 3398 3852) on level 1 in Terminal 1. There is a 24-hour hotel reservation desk in Terminal 1 on level 3." My wife stayed in the pousada and would not return. The reviews of the Luxor on Tripadvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...e_Janeiro.html) are mixed. Sounds like small, basic rooms but better than the pousada, and better than sleeping in the terminal, where the seats are not comfortable. Not sure how early you'll be allowed to check in. Before security there is not much of anyplace to sleep. There are more chairs after security, and there will be people there all night, but not sure I remember seeing any comfortable enough to sleep on (plus, I think there are arm rests, making sleep difficult).

No Delta lounge that I know of, but there is a combined VIP lounge in the international departures area of the terminal TAM uses. Not sure how late it's open and whether you'd have access due to Delta Sky Club membership (we used it since we were flying Biz Class on US Airways). I doubt it's open all night (doubt the TAM club is, eitehr, but you can check with the airlines directly). I doubt you would be allowed past security in any terminal your airline isn't using, if it came to that. There is an American Express Centurion lounge ouside of security, but, again, I doubt it's open all night.

5:45 p.m. until 6 a.m. is a long time to wait on the terminal's chairs. You could find a hotel in downtown, or even Flamengo/Botafogo, and take an early taxi to the airport for your departure. I am not a fan of GIG. About the best thing I can say about it is that it's not GRU.

Last edited by SoCal; Dec 14, 2010 at 4:37 pm
Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by hardiwv
I would pay a day-use for the hotel inside GIG which is located in Terminal 1 (Luxor Hotel). The hotel is horrible, but at least you can get a bed, sleep and have a shower. Plus the restaurant of the hotel has a nice steak which you should try. I think the hotel day-use rate is about R$200.

http://www.luxorhoteis.com.br/br/hot...eiro/index.php

Rgs,

Layover seems to be from 5:45 p.m. until 6 a.m., so OP would need more than day-use.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Yes, the layover is overnight. Unfortunately, Luxor is completely booked the night of the layover, and the pousada's reviews are such that I don't even think it's worth paying them a cent v. sitting on a chair all night.

Thanks for all your input - much appreciated.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by nyc711
Yes, the layover is overnight. Unfortunately, Luxor is completely booked the night of the layover, and the pousada's reviews are such that I don't even think it's worth paying them a cent v. sitting on a chair all night.

Thanks for all your input - much appreciated.
I'd really consider a hotel. Staying downtown (e.g., Othon Aeroporto) would at least cut down your commute (taxi) time in the morning, though not the best area at night-- maybe they have a restaurant in-house or the hotel can suggest one (Flamengo/Botafogo would be better). And the Luxor may end up having openings, so you could check when you arrive.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by skoenig
I'd really consider a hotel. Staying downtown (e.g., Othon Aeroporto) would at least cut down your commute (taxi) time in the morning, though not the best area at night-- maybe they have a restaurant in-house or the hotel can suggest one (Flamengo/Botafogo would be better). And the Luxor may end up having openings, so you could check when you arrive.
I agree. You could try getting the Real executive bus (GIG-SDU) which costs about R$7 [ride takes 20min - the taxi option would cost you about R$30] and sleep at the Ibis Santos Dummont or Novotel Santos Dummont (both have great rates about R$150) and are 8min walking from SDU or a taxi ride SDU-hotel would cost max R$10.

http://www.ibishotel.com/gb/hotel-56...nt/index.shtml

Finally, as q last resort, you could also stay in one of the Motels (love hotels) near GIG...but at least you have a room to relax...

http://www.ilhapalacehotel-rj.com.br/

A Taxi GIG-hotel as above will cost you about R$20 and takes about 10min ride. The hotel rate for the above hotel must not be more than R$200 and they must also have day-use rate...

Rgs,
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by hardiwv
I agree. You could try getting the Real executive bus (GIG-SDU) which costs about R$7 [ride takes 20min - the taxi option would cost you about R$30] and sleep at the Ibis Santos Dummont or Novotel Santos Dummont (both have great rates about R$150) and are 8min walking from SDU or a taxi ride SDU-hotel would cost max R$10.

http://www.ibishotel.com/gb/hotel-56...nt/index.shtml

Finally, as q last resort, you could also stay in one of the Motels (love hotels) near GIG...but at least you have a room to relax...

http://www.ilhapalacehotel-rj.com.br/

A Taxi GIG-hotel as above will cost you about R$20 and takes about 10min ride. The hotel rate for the above hotel must not be more than R$200 and they must also have day-use rate...

Rgs,

It's been a while since I've taken the Real bus, but I didn't think it stopped at SDU on the way into town, just on the way back to the airport (and stopped at the bus station only on the way to town). You could get off in the Centro (near the airport, or a busy area where there'll be taxis and you won't be isolated) and go to the hotel from there. I would not personally walk from SDU to my hotel after dark, especially with baggage, but I'm sure others do it.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by skoenig
It's been a while since I've taken the Real bus, but I didn't think it stopped at SDU on the way into town, just on the way back to the airport (and stopped at the bus station only on the way to town). You could get off in the Centro (near the airport, or a busy area where there'll be taxis and you won't be isolated) and go to the hotel from there. I would not personally walk from SDU to my hotel after dark, especially with baggage, but I'm sure others do it.
The point is that there are two Real lines: one Real express line (operated with micro-bus) which makes GIG>SDU nonstop; another Real bus line makes GIG>SDU>Barra with stops downtown and takes considerably more time. The best is to take the express Real micro-bus to SDU and from there a taxi.

Rgs,
Old Dec 24, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: SAA Voyager Platinum, LifeMiles Diamond, HHonors Silver, SPG Gold, Tsogo Sun Director
DON'T sleep at the airport, I wouldn't. if possible call a limo service, it ends up being cheaper than the regular taxis, I believe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.