Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Please report your successful redemptions using Diamond Club miles (2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please report your successful redemptions using Diamond Club miles (2009)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2009, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
It's been 6.5hrs since an agent (male, beginning with an M) said he'd need to check if I could have sectors 9mths apart.

No call back... Is it possible in your experience of should I book shorter, then change if necessary?

I've not had a problem doing these breaks on cash tickets on other *A carriers so is it a problem with the knowledge level of the BMI ICC staff?

I'm not even getting to the point of a final cost after 14 mins on each call!

Echoing DClass4Me, re. using the 'call again if problems' solution:
Two males today and no results. Frustrating!
OTOH a female agent a couple of weeks ago was fantastic!

Last edited by BiziBB; Jan 3, 2009 at 10:25 am
Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by BiziBB
It's been 6.5hrs since an agent (male, beginning with an M) said he'd need to check if I could have sectors 9mths apart.

No call back... Is it possible in your experience of should I book shorter, then change if necessary?

I've not had a problem doing these breaks on cash tickets on other *A carriers so is it a problem with the knowledge level of the BMI ICC staff?

I'm not even getting to the point of a final cost after 14 mins on each call!

Echoing DClass4Me, re. using the 'call again if problems' solution:
Two males today and no results. Frustrating!
OTOH a female agent a couple of weeks ago was fantastic!
Why not book it as 2 one ways? That way the sectors won't be related and you maximise your stopover opportunities and flexibility should you wish to make changes after commencement of travel..
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ICH Plat, Radisson Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gate4lounge
Why not book it as 2 one ways? That way the sectors won't be related and you maximise your stopover opportunities and flexibility should you wish to make changes after commencement of travel..
This is great advice. Always (while its still possible) book 2 x one ways instead of a return. It costs you nothing more but leaves you with more flexibility. Remember that once you've flown the first sector you can't make any further changes to your itinerary so if you book a return and if the dates are far apart this benefit will probably be quite valuable to you.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:00 am

Someone asked in the 2008 thread but there was no answer.

So how do you book TK F on the B77W?

[KVS Availability Tool 3.3.3/Platinum - SNT: Awards/StarAlliance/JP-ANA]
Code:
IST  Istanbul Ataturk TR [LTBA]
SIN  Singapore Changi SG [WSSS]
MON  26 Jan 2009 / 1 Seat

Carrier   Flight From Depart    To   Arrive    A/C       Availability
--------- ------ ---- --------- ---- --------- ---- ---- ------------- 
SQ        491    IST  12:35     SIN  07:15 +1  773       FS+  CS-  YS+
TK        66     IST  23:45     SIN  16:25 +1  77W       FS/  CS+  YS+
I'm not wasting my miles on SQ!
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:02 am

Programs: Miles & More (LH), BA, AA, Eurobonus : IHG One Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor Live Limitless
HKG/SIN/HKG in J (2 pax)

I have previously had several unsuccessful (and frustrating) attempts to book an award via ICC but on this occasion/routing remarkably smooth!

Myself & Mrs. Cornish Exile booked via ICC on 4 Jan for a return trip HKG-SIN in J for early April 2009 on SQ metal. Seemingly lots of availability on this routing other than SQ1/2.

Cost: 90k miles + GBP 86.40 taxes etc. + GBP 4 credit card fee per ticket (a bit steep IMHO but I should not complain too much).

Just relieved that I could burn most of my miles because I was wondering how on earth I could spend them given previous experience with ICC. Probably took 15 minutes on the 'phone - overall very happy^
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, IHG Plat, HH Gold.
EDI-WAW (I) 10 Jan 2009

29250 miles and £145.80 EDI - FRA (LH) FRA - WAW (LO) and WAW - BRU (LO) then BRU - EDI (BD) all in business.

Called the ICC at 1645 yesterday and had no probs with the agent. Was told to call back in 60 mins to pay the taxes and did so but they still couldn't do it. All sorted this morning but still no email with e-ticket(s).
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
My booking was a one-way 3-sector booking, with a big fat break in the middle.

This would allow a long stay, then continue my trip.
The supervisor is not there today and it seems my account is locked for changes until he contacts me again.

I am very unhappy about not being able to book it today. I hope I can find out if it's possible to have a 1-way trip with a very long stay between sefgments (like 3-6-9mths).

I appreciate your comments but as this is not the right place for anything other than redemptions, I will just update you on how that actually goes.

Please PM me with comments/answers on whether I could insert a very long layover into a 1-way booking, flying SQ, NZ segments...

Thanks again!
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:42 am

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
2 x LHR-BKK-SIN return in May on TG (F for LHR-BKK, J for BKK-SIN)
80,000 miles + £540 cash + £265 tax + £4 cc fee per person

No wait, male agent couldn't find TG F availability at first, so led him through it sector by sector having checked using the ANA tool. He did use his initiative and suggest LX F for BKK-SIN, but the transit time in BKK was too great. Took about 15 mins start to finish, so fairly painless. Tax done on the call. Rather happy to have picked up 2 x TG F at relatively short notice!

BC
Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by Singapore_Air

So how do you book TK F on the B77W?
You just need to ask. The problem was waiting for the 77W to show in Amadeus. If it is loaded, then in theory the ICC should be able to see it now.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
SK Now has YQ Surcharge ex CPH!!

Just went to book a trip to HNL and decided best route was CPH-NRT-HNL. I chose this as I didn't really want to pay a YQ surcharge to ANA (and only Y class was available using a USA routing) or an £80 APD charge to Mr Darling.

Everything was going well when I enquired how much the taxes would be. The response was £240! I though this was strange as SK don't have a YQ charge on flights ex Scandinavia. I asked for a breakdown and I was told that £186 of it was fuel surcharge. I said I though that might be incorrect but rather than argue I just ended the call with the intention to call back and speak to someone else after checking on ITA.

I checked on ITA and it looks like the calculation she gave was correct and SK now apply a EUR105 charge. This was the case on all long haul SK routes I checked from both CPH and ARN.

Anyway just thought I'd warn anyone seeing SK as a cheap biz class redemption opportunity.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:37 am

Programs: KL, BD, BA, CO
free upgrade taxes?

Couldn't find this covered in the thread before but a relatively simple EDI-LHR return booked for Easter for 6 people seemed to attract £240 in taxes on line(roughly) but as we had 2 kids in tow, we had to phone up. at this point, the agrent said taxes were £340 since we "get automatic upgrade to business (booker is gold) and therefore had to pay business class taxes". I hadn't been aware of this, but I opted for the cheaper economy taxes. 4 of the other 5 travellers are also gold members and are now believing that any free upgrade is frankly now of the question and are giving me tremendous grief as a result. I don't know now what to expect.... any comment/forecasts?
Old Jan 4, 2009, 1:08 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
This is, alas, correct : if you claim your "free" Gold upgrade on a domestic redemption to business class, you are liable to pay the higher rate of airport duty (another £10) per passenger and per sector.

So your co-travellers should be directing their ire towarads Mr Brown, not Mr Bishop.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Jan 4, 2009 at 1:22 pm Reason: splng
Old Jan 4, 2009, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Business class tickets attract business class tax. The upgrade is free in terms of miles, so it is still a free upgrade (Gordon Brown gets extra money, not the airline)

Not sure why you are getting "grief" unless somebody somewhere in the process is being somewhat tight with their friends!
Old Jan 4, 2009, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Ok, I was in the mood for spending some miles & cash today. After discovering that I now have to pay a fuel surcharge for flying SAS from CPH-NRT, I decided to leave that one until next weekend as it was giving me a serious headache after I started playing around with possible DUB routings etc etc.

I then tuned my attention to a different trip I'm planning for November for which the only sector missing is that from NRT back to Europe. I decided I wanted to fly in F and took a chance on SQ upgrading the last remaining 747 on LHR to A380 (or even 77W) during the next 10 months. This is in hope more than expectation but fingers crossed. So I now have the folowing booked:

NRT-SIN NH C Class (nothing available in F but I don't really mind
SIN-LHR SQ F Class
LHR-VCE BD Y Class (I REALLY don't mind flying Y on this sector)

Total miles: 25,000
Total cash: £170
Total "Taxes": £182

Booking this one was rather painful (literally). Taxes couldn't be calculated and I wasn't allowed to make a reservation until they were(!) Agent said she would call me back in "5 minutes" once she got them loaded. Fine I said, even though I was concerned as it was 30 minutes until closing time. I was desperate for the loo so I decided to use my "5 minutes" constructively by emptying the tank. As the tank was emptying my phone rang (after 1 minute) and I didn't want to miss the call back and I didn't have time to finish so I had to turn off the tap and leg it for the phone. Ouch! Rest of the booking went without hitch (sorry if that was too much information on a Sunday )
Old Jan 4, 2009, 1:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
(sorry if that was too much information on a Sunday )
You could say that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.