Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Please report your successful redemptions using Diamond Club miles (2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2008, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia

And here is the 2009 "Please report your successful redemptions using Diamond Club miles" thread continued from 2008. Looks like it's going to be an interesting year in these here parts...

Please feel free to post your bmi Diamond Club redemption experiences in this thread : routes, airlines, stopovers, miles & cash, fees/taxes/surcharges, availability, the call centre experience, ticketing etc; in fact anything that can provide ideas, inspiration and datapoints for others wishing to redeem.

The topic does not include bragging about, or having a poke at posters for, let's say "unusually creative routings". bmi's ticketing department now checks all award bookings before ticketing to weed out any illegal itineraries. If it makes it through ticketing, then it is a valid and acceptable booking under bmi's own policies and should not considered "gaming the system".

If you're new to making bmi redemptions, and especially if you join us having been given the blanket "no avaibility" brushoff from the call centre (referred to as the ICC) then this thread proves : It can be done! Just remember, search for your desired routing using the ANA tool to check availability, then call the ICC asking for the long haul segments first, then request any short haul connections. Never simply ask for an itinerary from X to Z, ask for X to Y and Y to Z. ^

Happy hunting, happy posting - and safe travels.

Last edited by GoldCircle; Feb 2, 2009 at 4:48 am Reason: Adding a missing ", as pointed out by several pedantic nit picking posters :-)
Old Dec 31, 2008, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
I'll let you know the details of my phone call today...

Thinking of a SIN-SYD-AKL-PPT or something more circuitous (PM me a better trip after SYD for a nice side trip!)... if yu have (ab)used NZ or other carriers for a nice use of the Z10 award.

blame the Champagne for misspellings rather than my enfeebled, intoxicated brain cells!

HAPPY
HAPPY
HAPPY

NEW
YEAR!!!
Old Dec 31, 2008, 6:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
lets hope in 365 days time it won't be a:

"Please report your successful Lufty (UK) miles und less redemptions (2010)" thread.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Jan 1, 2009 at 6:11 am
Old Dec 31, 2008, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

I'll be testing a new booking with BD miles shortly now that fuel surcharges have reduced/gone on some of the nicer *A carriers. I think people should try to redeem their miles prior to the end of January in case C+P suddenly disappears or significantly changed!

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Jan 1, 2009 at 6:13 am
Old Dec 31, 2008, 10:05 pm

Programs: F
2 x MAN-ZRH-BOS return (actually 2 one ways) in F in April.

50000 miles + £280 cash + about £275 taxes per person.

Generally good performance from the agent except that

(a) initially she did not see the MAN-BOS availability, presumably because she overlooked that the connecting flight had to be in C. She had to be led through it segment by segment.

(b) She asked me to hang up and promised that she would phone back once she had the reservations in the system. I think she was checking that this was a valid routing. But she phoned back very promptly, sound quality was better on the new line, and bmi paid for the long call, so I was very happy with this!

(c) I had to insist very hard that it was possible for her to choose seats for me before she tried it (and found I was right)

(d) I have decided that all DC agents are in fact merely computer programs, akin to ELIZA. They fail the Turing Test. In a long conversation, they appear to have no memory of anything that was said even as long as one minute ago. My forename and surname had to be repeated about 10 times in the course of the booking, each time as though they were a novelty, and spelt out at least 4 times. Ditto for my address, and despite the agent having checked return availability at the start of the call, I got the standard car-hire is-there-anything-else-I-can-do-for-you-good-bye close off at the end of booking the outward section. "Yes, you can now get us back!"

But I have now pretty much blown out Mrs Redshift's and my bmi accounts. ^

LX are announcing a new First Class Seat in late January, sadly probably about a year too late for me to have a chance of sitting in it.

Last edited by redshift27; Dec 31, 2008 at 10:21 pm
Old Jan 1, 2009, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Happy New year. Lets hope that the same thread continues in 2010.

BiziBB looking forward to your redemption as I am about to book the same for later this year.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Jan 1, 2009 at 6:27 am
Old Jan 1, 2009, 3:57 am

Programs: A3 gld, BA bron, KL silv, 6C plat, EH silv, EM, GT, HY, NH, NS, RT, SH, SW gold, BW, WY
2 x MAN-LHR-SFO-LAS

MAN-LHR-SFO C class BD/UA
SFO-LAS F class out US Y class in UA

67500 miles + £357 taxes per person

Agent extremely efficient. Even looked up alternate UA flight with a reasonable connection and found seats in Y class without being prompted when the F class on US I had been trying to book had become unavailable.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 8:43 am

Programs: HH Gold, GHA Titanium, Iprefer Elite, EI Concierge
DUB-LHR-YYZ-ORD and return in AC Business

Cashed in 37500 miles plus 217 € cash and a total of 263.09 € taxes/charges for a trip in January.

I could not get a cheap Z class tickets on AC for the dates I wanted so I deceided to cash & miles instead (while it still is there).

And in case you wonder why I would go via YYZ, I rather like the swift US immigration for connecting passengers in YYZ and I do a stopover on the way back.

All done in matter of minutes with a friendly guy on the phone who I really could not believe was sitting in India.

A good start to the new year, happy new year...
Old Jan 1, 2009, 9:23 am
-DSH-

Programs: BDDC Gold, MR Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, EK Plat
A little OT, but to open a new thread just for this question seemed a little much. Is a routing like AMS-LHR-YYZ-DEN/SLC allowed? The reason I'm asking is the fact that there is a semi-direct AMS-DEN flight and a AMS-LHR-DEN flight.

Edit: What about AMS-FRA-NYC-DEN? Not sure if I'd prefer AC over SQ in J (it is a 744 after all..) but still curious

Last edited by 777-9X; Jan 1, 2009 at 9:56 am
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:23 am

Programs: Thai ROP Gold, BMI DC (RIP), Avios
Thumbs up CPH-FRA-ICN-NRT in Asiana Biz

Hi All,

My first redemption on BMI DC !

Travelling in late June on a zone 2 to zone 8 one way :-

CPH (SK) -> FRA (OZ) -> ICN (Seoul stopover 3 days) -> NRT (OZ).

2 Travellers in J. Also first on Asiana - I've heard good reports about them.

Miles 18,750 + 127.50 cash + 137.45 (Tax + Surcharges) per person.

Was going to do zone 1 (LHR) - but this looks cheaper and more fun

Extremely happy with the service from the female agent at the 2nd attempt at calling - the first one replied ''No availability" to every request !

Call took 12 mins 15 seconds, including time on hold to calculate taxes.

^^^

G
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Trip
DUB-LHR (BD C)
sleep in London
LHR-AMS (BD Y) - Single class service
AMS-SIN (SQ C)
SIN-BNE (SQ C)
Stopover / surface sector
SYD-AKL (NZ C)

Cost
One redemption, 2 pax: Zone 1-9 35k+£255+tax tbc (each)

Experience
- On hold for a short while before the call was answered
- Agent was male - unsure of the name
- All availability checked on ANA first and we rattled through the itinerary in record time^
- A slight discussion whether I was allowed two legs in Z1 without incurring extra mileage - after speaking to a manager this was authorised.
- Taxes - asked me to call back in 2 hours, and not to delay as SQ will cancel the booking^
- Happy customer as the agent dealt with this complex itinerary with ease^^

Last edited by rupert_s; Jan 2, 2009 at 12:22 pm
Old Jan 2, 2009, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

ANA Fuel Surcharge changes!

When you redeem awards that involve NH, be sure to remind the ICC about this:

ANA Fuel Surchage Table in £

NH has published a new set of YQ with pricing in GBP, effective as of yesterday. I snatched a NH F award earlier today and the taxes calculation came back with the outdated YQ information. When asked to speak to a supervisor, the agent came back in 30 seconds and said the supervisor (with a name that I wrote down) is already aware of this discrepancy so they are going to be re-loading the taxes. I also asked the rep to put a remark in the reservation.

The difference can be huge because you'll be paying $312 USD per segment on most Europe/America-Japan long-haul flights under the old rules and with the £ as weak as it is, this is a hefty sum vs. the the new published price of £ 116.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 3:40 am

Programs: BD Blue+, LH Blue, VS Red (nothing metallic: I don't get out much these days.....)
And hang up. And call. And hang up. And call........

Booked for half term hols:

LHR-LAX NZ Y
LAX-LAS US F (stopover)
LAS-SFO US F

SFO-LAX UA Y
LAX-LHR UA C

x4 pax. 56250 miles & £240ish taxes each

I know UA "old" C is not going to be the best thing ever (unless by some miracle they refit my 777 first) but given the short lead times and the holiday dates I'm pretty happy. NZ Y is supposed to be OK and no YQ charged. On the way back we could have gone on LH C via MUC but with the kids, I'll take the direct longhaul into LHR any day.......

Connection at LAX on the way back is legal (1hr) but cutting it fine, due to no earlier avail on the SFO-LAX leg: am I being insane or is this OK? Should we try and standby for an earlier SFO-LAX flight?

Redemption experience was as this board had prepared me for:

Call1: Male agent worked through the first 4 sectors then said no C avail on the last leg. Thanks and goodbye

Call2: Male agent. Useless. Asked me the same questions over and over and put me on hold twice before booking a single sector

Call3: Male agent answered and I just hung up as by this point I had resolved to wait for a female agent.........

Call4: Female agent (Shital). Super efficient (if anyone on that call was useless it was me) . Way ahead of me the whole time. 4 x C seats on last sector had miraculously reappeared. Everything done and dusted in <10mins ^

It's been said before and I'll say it again. If it isn't working out, hang up, deep breath, cup of tea, call again.

Now just need to sort out hotels and car.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 7:15 am

Programs: M&M
Effective 1.1.2009, OZ has lowered fuel surcharges dramatically.
I hope other carriers will follow the example soon.
Fuel surcharge on FRA-ICN was $ 140 one way, now $ 41 one way.
On ICN-NRT, it was $ 32 one way, now it is $ 9 one way.
OZ is the way to fly. Enjoy the flight.

Originally Posted by gwhiteuk
Hi All,

My first redemption on BMI DC !

Travelling in late June on a zone 2 to zone 8 one way :-

CPH (SK) -> FRA (OZ) -> ICN (Seoul stopover 3 days) -> NRT (OZ).

2 Travellers in J. Also first on Asiana - I've heard good reports about them.

Miles 18,750 + 127.50 cash + 137.45 (Tax + Surcharges) per person.

Was going to do zone 1 (LHR) - but this looks cheaper and more fun

Extremely happy with the service from the female agent at the 2nd attempt at calling - the first one replied ''No availability" to every request !

Call took 12 mins 15 seconds, including time on hold to calculate taxes.

^^^

G
Old Jan 3, 2009, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
One-way LHR-ALA in Y in March. Very efficient and seamless experience with call centre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.