Search

Connection advice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2008, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Connection advice

I have a friend who will be travelling down from LBA and arriving at T1 at 13.05 and connecting on to Cologne on LH at 15.05. The return arrival is at
T2 at 14.25 and 16.55 to LBA.
My questions are, will BMI check her bags through to Cologne and on the return LH check the bags through to LBA? also if they won't is there enough time for these connections?
Many Thanks
CIHY
Old Dec 1, 2008, 6:17 am

Location: Northern Ireland (in spirit), but much more likely GB or Europe.
Programs: EI Aer Club, IB Plus, BA EC, AAdvantage
If your friend is on 2 separate tickets BD rules are they will not through check anyone. One through ticket LBA-LHR-CGN on 1 PNR is no problem. Two hours should be ok if she has to do a recheck at LHR but doesn't leave a great margin of error for delays etc.

On the way back, I'd guess LH would treat this as a *A to *A connection regardless if he/she had two tickets or not and through check the luggage at least.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, I will check to see if they are on the same PNR.
The reason I asked was that I seemed to remember that BMI stopped checking any bags through when they went low cost, did that ever happen?
CIHY
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:10 am

Location: Northern Ireland (in spirit), but much more likely GB or Europe.
Programs: EI Aer Club, IB Plus, BA EC, AAdvantage
I wouldn't say bmi ever went low-cost in the truest sense. They advertised it as becoming a 'modular airline' whatever that means. But keeping business class on trunk routes, staying in *A, not luggage charging etc would keep them 'full service' IMHO.

The change that was implemented on going modular was the one I described, they stopped through checking bags and passengers on separate tickets. This applies regardless if it a connection is bmi to bmi, bmi to star or bmi to everyone else. Through checking still exists if connecting flights are on 1 itinerary.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BHDBOY
I wouldn't say bmi ever went low-cost in the truest sense. They advertised it as becoming a 'modular airline' whatever that means. But keeping business class on trunk routes, staying in *A, not luggage charging etc would keep them 'full service' IMHO.

The change that was implemented on going modular was the one I described, they stopped through checking bags and passengers on separate tickets. This applies regardless if it a connection is bmi to bmi, bmi to star or bmi to everyone else. Through checking still exists if connecting flights are on 1 itinerary.
OK I understand now, I didn't mean they went low-cost but when they changed to a 'modular airline' I thought they had stopped interlining bags completely, glad to hear this is not true.
Thanks again.
CIHY
Old Dec 2, 2008, 5:16 am

Programs: BA, Marriott & SPG, Hilton, Avis
I've done that a few times with only an hour changing from BD in T1 to LH in T2. 2 hours is plenty of time.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 5:50 am

Bump.

Regarding interlining, would 1 hour 20 mins. be enough time to collect bags and re-checkin at CPH? I would be on 2 separate tickets both issued by BMI. Going from BD to SK?

Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:09 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by peter10
Regarding interlining, would 1 hour 20 mins. be enough time to collect bags and re-checkin at CPH? I would be on 2 separate tickets both issued by BMI. Going from BD to SK?
You don't mention the exact route, but I'm assuming something like LHR-CPH-ARN or EDI-CPH-ARN. Personally I don't think you'll have enough time.

You can checkin online with SK, and have a boading pass in your hand.

Your problem is getting from the non-Shengen area to the luggage collection, collect your bags and get to the bag-drop desk at least 40 minutes before departure of the SK flight. Any delay out of LHR (if LHR) will kill this.

In my own experience, luggage handling at CPH is pretty slow (DUB-CPH with SK), with waits of up to 90 minutes for baggage.

I would haggle with the BD checkin staff to interline the bag all the way, since this is very good at CPH, and you can be more relaxed as you wander around the airport.

Aidan
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:57 am

Thanks for the advice. I am doing GLA-CPH which gets in at 14.45 then connecting to SK to LHR 16.05 and from there to NRT. Ideally I would like to take the morning flight from EDI but there is mo award availability that day.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 8:18 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by peter10
Thanks for the advice. I am doing GLA-CPH which gets in at 14.45 then connecting to SK to LHR 16.05 and from there to NRT. Ideally I would like to take the morning flight from EDI but there is no award availability that day.
GLA-CPH-LHR-NRT - a sign of a true FTer!

Hmmm. I this is an award, I'd suggest starting the haggle with the ICC to get all the sectors on a single PNR (and this is worth a 20 change fee).

If you have a revenue ticket GLA-CPH, I think it's worth the 9000 miles to connect this all up properly.

Of course, if you have BD*G, you should be able to request a redemption seat from BMI for the EDI-LHR service and remove the trip over the North Sea.

Aidan
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by aidanc
GLA-CPH-LHR-NRT - a sign of a true FTer!

Hmmm. I this is an award, I'd suggest starting the haggle with the ICC to get all the sectors on a single PNR (and this is worth a 20 change fee).

If you have a revenue ticket GLA-CPH, I think it's worth the 9000 miles to connect this all up properly.

I suspect there is a very good reason (or more like 20,000 reasons) why peter10 is 'starting' his journey in Denmark rather than the UK.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:43 am
AJO

Programs: BA | A3 | AFKL | Hertz | SPG | Avis
Indeed, not to mention "Gordon's tax suprise"
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:40 pm

Programs: F
The reasons are indeed extremely good but the 1h20m connection time at CPH is a bit hairy for unlinked flights. I would have paid cash to go earlier.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 5:19 pm

Actually I should clarify I said I was doing GLA-CPH but I haven't yet comitted to it(haven't got the ticket yet) Extra tax and miles for an UK departure make CPH an attractive starting point however I just need to get there...I may be down at my sister's place near Manchester for the New Year and there is availability from there so may go that route...wish BMI would open up a seat from EDI though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.