Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Amending an award booking - advice please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Dear bmiers:

We have a one way cash+miles award booking to the USA, and a one way cash+miles award booking returning to the UK (thanks to reading the advice given here on the board!). Been saving the British Midland/bmi miles for years and have now got enough for 2 tickets! (Actually flying out in First LH/US, back in Business with UA/LH).

On our outbound we are routed MAN - FRA - DTW /surface/ ORD - LAS.

Our ORD - LAS flight is on US Airways (albeit on America West metal). We are considering changing this flight from the 3.00pm departure to the 8.29am departure as we have just discovered that Elton John is playing in Vegas on our arrival date (and tickets are available), but the show starts at 7.30pm and as our 3.00pm flight arrives at 4.56pm we may be cutting it a bit fine should our flight be delayed (the US website shows the flight having 70% punctuality).

I've phoned bmi Diamond Club in India who advised that we could change our flight but would need to return our tickets for re-issue and that there would be a charge of £20 per ticket.

I then phoned US airways (isn't Skype wonderful for 1-800 calls!) in the USA (their UK office was closed this being Sunday hours) who advised no problems in changing the flight with them, and no need to reissue the ticket.

Has anyone any experience of changing an award ticketed flight (same day, same route, same airline but different time) directly with the airline without getting the ticket reissued by bmi?

I want to ensure that all goes according to plan - £40 change fee isn't that much in the grand scheme of things, but why pay if you don't need to?

Any advice most welcome.

Nigel.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
I have had to change award tickets on different airlines and have always been charged a fee for doing so.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Surprising that US said it wasn't a problem to change the flights. I suppose you mentioned to them that they were BMI reward flights? Most airlines won't touch reward bookings made by another airline and will refer you back. If they are fully aware of the fact that this is a BMI reward flight, and still want to change them for free, I'd think there shouldn't be a problem. Be sure to verify on checkmytrip that the booking is indeed amended.

Last edited by frankvb; Jan 15, 2007 at 9:01 am Reason: Not UA but US!!!
Old Jan 14, 2007, 2:17 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by frankvb
Surprising that UA said it wasn't a problem to change the flights. I suppose you mentioned to them that they were BMI reward flights? Most airlines won't touch reward bookings made by another airline and will refer you back. If they are fully aware of the fact that this is a BMI reward flight, and still want to change them for free, I'd think there shouldn't be a problem. Be sure to verify on checkmytrip that the booking is indeed amended.
& I'm surprised US didn't mind!

As frankvb said, I'd want to be sure they fully understood your situation, albeit in this case US, not UA.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I'd check my booking online to see if the change was done properly by USAirways.

Since this involves going to the airport earlier on the same day for a same day flight, I probably would not contact BD anymore on this matter myself either .... particularly since the probable worst-case scenario is flying the original flight or being made to pay some kind of same-day change charge by USAirways. If USAirways made the change, I'd go to the airport pretty sure I'd be getting on the flight without much issue other than perhaps being required to check-in in person.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 8:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver, TK Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat AMB
As GUWonder suggests, check that the booking has been amended online.

If it has then I'd be sure to make a print out of it just to be safe.

I haven't experienced making a change with a US carrier, although SQ will insist that I ring BMI to make any changes as they say that they are unable to do so.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Originally Posted by Boddingtons
I haven't experienced making a change with a US carrier, although SQ will insist that I ring BMI to make any changes as they say that they are unable to do so.
I once tried to change an award flight booked on UA. Phoned United and gave them the reservation number and asked to go on an earlier flight. The agent said that would be no problem at all as there were seats available, but when it came to finish the booking he couldn't proceed - and realised it was a bmi award booking.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 6:32 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
I find, at least with BMI CSR, when they say to you that they're doing what you have requested or "it's in the system now" or "I'm putting it in now sir", what they actually mean is that they've made a note of your request and will action it once your call has ended.
Either that or there is some time delay from when they action it to when it gets processed.
As before now, I've had them tell me something had been done to which I ended the call, only to find out later on subsequent enquiries that when they entered it failed or the system wouldn't let them.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 6:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by icebird
I once tried to change an award flight booked on UA. Phoned United and gave them the reservation number and asked to go on an earlier flight. The agent said that would be no problem at all as there were seats available, but when it came to finish the booking he couldn't proceed - and realised it was a bmi award booking.
I had a confirmed booking on a UA flight using BMI miles; bad weather hit and UA couldn't/wouldn't help and directed me to a UA Customer Relations-type number. Fortunately a call to BD got things done. ^^
Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:41 am
Original Poster

An update: I've just spoken to US here in the UK (and I must say how informed and helpful they were - much more so than their operator I spoke to in the USA yesterday).

And yes, I will have to get the booking changed by BD and get the ticket reissued.

Big question now is should we make the changes, cancel original hotel booking in Vegas and then re-book the Ceasars Palace special for two nights including tickets to see Elton John (seat up in the Gods)?

Cost for two nights at Caesars Palace (standard room) including show tickets: $642

Advice please!

Nigel.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Depends on how much you want to see Sir Elton. It is not every day that you'll get a chance to see him belt out a few tunes on the old Joanna after all.

I reckon you'd be looking at an easy $100 a piece for the tickets, so if the hotel isn't a massive leap up in price from your current accomodation (or a step down for that matter) then go for it.

Life's too short not to enjoy yourself when you get a chance ^
Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Traveller
An update: I've just spoken to US here in the UK (and I must say how informed and helpful they were - much more so than their operator I spoke to in the USA yesterday).

And yes, I will have to get the booking changed by BD and get the ticket reissued.

Big question now is should we make the changes, cancel original hotel booking in Vegas and then re-book the Ceasars Palace special for two nights including tickets to see Elton John (seat up in the Gods)?

Cost for two nights at Caesars Palace (standard room) including show tickets: $642

Advice please!

Nigel.
I would jump on the chance if I were in your shoes Sounds like a reasonable deal for combined tickets and accommodation.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Dear bmiers:

Thanks for your help and advice - this is what we have done:

We were booked on the 3.00pm non-stop flight from ORD - LAS arriving at 4.55pm giving little margin for error to get to the 7.30pm concert if the flight was delayed. The earlier non-stop flight 8.29am - 10.24am would have meant getting up a bit too early and arriving when we may not be able to check into our hotel (and probably falling asleep at the concert!)

We have now re-booked connecting flights ORD - PHX - LAS leaving 10.35am arriving 2.24pm. Will need to get tickets re-issued but no problems.

We have kept our original bookings at the Alladdin ($68 per night) - (Caesars Palace wanted $200 per night). Booked tickets for the show direct through Ticketmaster.

Everyone happy!

If Elton is reading this - how about meeting for an after show drink!

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice.

Nigel.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 6:32 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Enjoy the show - I'm sure it will be fantastic. Take a Watford scarf with you, that might catch Elton's eye and get you a post-concert audience. Well, it's a long shot I guess...

As for the Aladdin, I hope it is good. I'm going to be staying either there or the Westin in April whilst on a stag do. The rest of the party are staying elsewhere, but I need the SPG nights so I'm on my own. The things we do for points / status!
Old Jan 16, 2007, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RAPC
As for the Aladdin, I hope it is good. I'm going to be staying either there or the Westin in April whilst on a stag do. The rest of the party are staying elsewhere, but I need the SPG nights so I'm on my own. The things we do for points / status!
Be aware the the Alladdin is currently converting itself into Planet Hollywood.

For us, a room is generally somewhere just to sleep so as long as it's clean and reasonably comfortable we are happy.

Saving $260 over staying at Caesars Palace means that we can treat ourselves to a nice dinner/drinks/shopping!

Nigel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.