Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2005, 12:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Desert city where Venice, Paris and NY are within walking distance
Programs: Delta and Hilton make a lot of $$ off me
Baggage Allowance

Hello all,

I am looking at booking a flight between the UK and Ireland. Looking at the el cheapo airlines (BMI, Ryan, EasyJet) I noticed very cheap flights like $50 one way but then looking at the small print I see you only have about 40 lbs of baggage allowance.

My question is this: Can you have more than the allowance and pay a fee? Or is that the max you can have period. I couldn't find the answer on any of the airline's websites.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi da_guy,

bmi Silver and Gold members ( and *Gold members) get 20lbs free.

BA on their domestic routes charged quite a low price for excess baggage ( 5 per piece i think- this was quite a few years ago).- now up to 15 per piece for domestic routes)

bmi website gives this number to call for excess baggage queries;
0870 6070 555.

I have heard that Ryanair has a limit of 15kg (30lbs ) for checked baggage.

( if connecting from a flight from the US , show them your transatlantic ticket and you should get your transatlantic allowance)
Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Jun 11, 2005 at 1:02 pm
Old Jun 11, 2005, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Beware that Ryan Air has a lower baggage allowance than Easy Jet.
Yes you can pay a fee per kilo - after all that how they make up revenue for the cheap fare. You end up paying for everything.

Easyjet gives a luggage allowance of 20 kilos with a fee of 4 per kilo over this allowance

Ryanair gives a luggage allowance of 15 kilos with a fee of 4.50 per kilo over this allowance.

Easyjet and Ryanair impose the fee diligently to raise revenue.

Would not class BMI in this category and would expect them to give some leaway with regards luggage allowance like any other major airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.