Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

BA and BMI accounts in different names

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2012, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BMI diamond club

Hi,

This might be better on the BA forum but someone overhere might know the answer!

I need to transfer my BMI miles to BA but my BMI account is in my married name and my BA account is in my maiden name. My passport is in my maiden name and I travel under this name. I'm not sure what the best solution is:

1. Change my BA account to my married name - does it matter that I travel under my maiden name? Would I still be able to make redemptions in my maiden name and collect points from travel in my maiden name?
2. Change my BMI account to my maiden name - is it still possible to make such chnages to BMI accounts?
3. Open a new BA account in my married name and use the household account facility to link the 2 BA accounts. Is this allowed?

I obviously need to do something so any advice on which option would be very helpful.

Thank you
Old Oct 9, 2012, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
4. Open another bmi account with your maiden name. While logged in under this account go to the household accounts section and invite the account with your married name to join your household.

Once this account is linked to your household transfer all the points To the account with your maiden name.

From this point you can use combine my Avios to get them over to BA.

It's easier to do it this way.

Comments on your suggestions

1. Would cause needless hassle as you'd have to prove to BA that you were the same person (copy of marriage certificate, etc) to change your name and to credit miles the name on the booking must match the name on the account.

2. Might be possible but if they require proof it may take a long time to process due to limited staffing at bmi now.

3. The household accounts on BA don't allow transfer of miles between them (unlike bmi) only pooling of miles so you'd need to keep both accounts active. If BA then noticed there were effectively two accounts for the same person they'd be in their rights to close your account for breach of the rules.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:06 am

Programs: BA Bronze, A3*G, TK*S
Originally Posted by layz
Once this account is linked to your household transfer all the points To the account with your maiden name.
Note that certain bonus miles (signup bonus miles mostly, I think) are non-transferable within a household account. However, they can be transferred to a BA account.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BMI diamond club
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

My BMI account is already the head of our household account so I don't think Layz' suggestion would have worked unless I dissolved the accounts. I have managed to resolve it though. While pondering if I'd be able to make any changes to the BMI account - either changing the name or dissolving our household account - I thought I'd give the ICC a ring and see if they could help. I wasn't very hopeful given that the t&c's suggest I would need to write in for both issues. However the man at the ICC was very helpful - he changed the name on my account back to my maiden name instantly. No having to send in proof of name change or write letters etc. I was quite impressed!

Thanks again for your help
Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
It's good that you managed to get it resolved so quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.