Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

DC closing : Summary of questions to be answered

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DC closing : Summary of questions to be answered

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
I have a bMI MasterCard, but do not live in the UK and have a non-UK mailing address. What will happen to my card post 2012? Will I still have an option to earn avios points/ destination miles on my spend? Will I be given some other card by MBNA? Will accounts like mine be kept active despite they being non-UK based since I have the card?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
The email mentions "the bmi credit card from MBNA".

There are of course several. A standard Amex earning 1.5 miles per £, a Plus Amex earning 2 miles per £, the Visa earning 0.75 or 1 miles per £, and older mastercards earning 1 mile or better.

The bmi Plus amex is still offering 4000 bmi status miles - which won't exist after 27 October...

Surely something must be changing regarding the MBNA cards and bmi - can anyone say what?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by LonLH
I have a bMI MasterCard, but do not live in the UK and have a non-UK mailing address. What will happen to my card post 2012? Will I still have an option to earn avios points/ destination miles on my spend? Will I be given some other card by MBNA? Will accounts like mine be kept active despite they being non-UK based since I have the card?
You'll have to change your address to the UK so it'll be valid. Then you'll be able to earn on the Mastercard unless MBNA discontinue it. If they do then apply for the Amex+Visa combo.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 2:04 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
I hope BA and/or bmi have/are carefully checking the email databases so that this crucially important notice is getting out to all DC members. Last email I had from DC/bmi on any family member account, or on accounts of friends I look after, was 03 July; they just stopped. If I personally know at least five other members who are in exactly the boat, how many tens of thousands won't get this one I wonder?
Well, no-one in my household, me included, have received anything today. So unless the e-mails are coming out in waves, it looks like there could be a significant issue here. FWIW, I received an e-mail confirming a DC-BAEC transfer yesterday to the email address on my DC account.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 2:08 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Will any of the credit cards still accept new applicants after 28 October (with or without a generous welcome bonus)?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Only 2 out of 6 emails received.

Business as usual for the bmi emailer
Old Sep 28, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Well, no-one in my household, me included, have received anything today. So unless the e-mails are coming out in waves, it looks like there could be a significant issue here. FWIW, I received an e-mail confirming a DC-BAEC transfer yesterday to the email address on my DC account.
We've had 4 out of 5 receive e-mails, all within 30 mins of each other starting at 14.08 and ending at 14.33.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Hardly need say that no emails have arrived for myself or Mrs Antichef!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Same here, no problem with those.

In response to the standard "check this, check that, make sure" reply, the problem is not at my end. In at least the last 18 months, I have not changed email addresses, I have not changed anything on the accounts of family or friends at flybmi.com and nothing has arrived in any Inbox or SPAM folder of any email domain since July. Quite simply, I'm not being sent mail to any of them.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 1:22 am

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
I've got some Non transferable bonus miles in some of the accounts that are part of my family membership.

What's the best way to transfer these over? I'm guessing I'll have to create BA accounts for each individual and then link them to my BA household account.

Is there an easier/better way of doing this? Any chance BMI/BA will let the Non transferable bonus miles transfer to the Head of Account so they can be transferred from there to my BA account?

Thanks!
Old Sep 29, 2012, 1:27 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Of course it is at their end, as on reading this thread it reminded me to move across another months mbna CC miles through the "Combine my avios" tool on ba.com.

As we all know it sends a confirmation email to both your BA and bmi account registered email confirming the transfer is complete. These arrived at both accounts for both of us for each transfer!

I suppose we have chuckled over the years about the funny IT at bmi, so I am not really surprised. Just glad that I am following it here to find out what I should be being told.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
One email arrived in my spam folder yesterday.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 4:04 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by layz
You'll have to change your address to the UK so it'll be valid. Then you'll be able to earn on the Mastercard unless MBNA discontinue it. If they do then apply for the Amex+Visa combo.
If it is just a matter of changing my DC mailing address it is not a problem, however if I have to change mailing address of MBNAcard as well it will be an issue.
Switching to another MBNA card will be an issue as one needs to be UK resident to apply for one.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by LonLH
If it is just a matter of changing my DC mailing address it is not a problem, however if I have to change mailing address of MBNAcard as well it will be an issue.
Switching to another MBNA card will be an issue as one needs to be UK resident to apply for one.
So is your MBNA registered outside the UK? Does that mean MBNA allows you to keep your card if you move outside of the UK? It's probably a use case BA haven't thought about as I don't believe their BA Amex allows you to keep the card if moving overseas.

I think you'll be ok just changing your diamond club address and leaving MBNA as is. I don't think diamond club checks the name and address matches on both accounts.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 6:20 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
Star alliance Award now non-refundable?

I live in Germany. When I booked my Asiana award flight in May 2012 for February 2013 travel the t&cs that became part of my contract with bmi said that all award bookings are refundable for a fee. Now DC are saying that this booking will turn into a non-refundable one come 31 December. In my view, DC cannot retroactively und unilaterally change the t&cs of an existing booking. If I cancel an award booking even in January or February I still expect a full refund of both miles (in the currency of Avios) and cash. What is your position on this, Nicci? Thank you, ps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.