Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

DC closing : Summary of questions to be answered

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2012, 7:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...

Following the announcement of the closure of diamond club, I have created this thread to collate any outstanding questions. Please review the official Q&A's, reproduced here, first.

Our lurker DiamondClubQueries will endeavour to provide answers.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Sep 28, 2012 at 8:13 am
Old Sep 28, 2012, 7:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
First question : for recent purchases made on the shopping portal, and purchases made in the next few weeks, what arrangements are in place to ensure all the miles are credited ?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
What do people make of this?

"In addition, please note that Diamond Club membership are no longer awarded Status Miles or allocated membership status. Existing Diamond Club Gold & Silver members are being welcomed to tier match into the British Airways Executive Club until 31 December 2012."

My year ends on 9th November. Should I assume from this that I will retain Silver until 31st December now? In which case, I can delay my match to extend my BA Silver.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Hilton is not mentioned- will the partnership continue at 1000 bmi miles per night, upto 3k miles per stay?

Also, is the Republic of Ireland to be considered 'rest of world' on this occasion, with accounts closing at year end?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:17 am
Company Representative - British Airways

For shopping purchases, these should award as usual. Members can continue to request retrospective awards through the call centre.

Members can continue to tier match their Diamond Club status with the Executive Club until 31 December but if your Diamond Club status is due to downgrade before 31 December you will need to request your tier match before your Diamond Club tier downgrades.

No earning on any partner will continue after 27 October except through the bmi Credit Card from MBNA

Warm regards

Nicci
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:24 am

What happens to household accounts..?

Will these be accessable in the normal way and allow miles to be transferred between accounts after 27th October?

Paul..
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Can BA negotiate a better deal with Hilton. 500 miles/stay really doesn't compare to 1000 miles/night for up to 3 nights.

Presumably Hilton pays BA per stay and bmi per night. The bmi earning rate really did encourage me to put more stays the way of Hilton. The BA rate on the other hand gives me no incentive to stay in the Hilton over any other chain.

Even if they change the 500/stay to 500/night I'd be reasonably happy.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by DynamicIS
What happens to household accounts..?

Will these be accessable in the normal way and allow miles to be transferred between accounts after 27th October?

Paul..
You can continue to access accounts for members under 18 but as they cannot earn through the credit card, you will need to prevent the individual balance to the BA Household Account to prevent the miles from expiring

With regads to the Hilton earn rates through the BA Executive Club, there are no planned changes to the current accrual rates as detailed for all of our partners on ba.com

Best regards

Nicci
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:47 am

Also, is the Republic of Ireland to be considered 'rest of world' on this occasion, with accounts closing at year end?[/QUOTE]

Sorry I missed this - yes Republic of Ireland is considered as rest of world

Nicci
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Just remembered that my account is currently under my parents-in-law's address in Germany - I move it because I thought that Lufty might do a status match just for German residents! Not my smartest guess ...

I assume if I move it back to my UK address before 27th October then it won't be closed?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
I hope BA and/or bmi have/are carefully checking the email databases so that this crucially important notice is getting out to all DC members. Last email I had from DC/bmi on any family member account, or on accounts of friends I look after, was 03 July; they just stopped. If I personally know at least five other members who are in exactly the boat, how many tens of thousands won't get this one I wonder?

Last edited by FlyingOnceMore; Sep 28, 2012 at 9:49 am Reason: me gramma!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
I have never received any emails from BMI on anything about the various Diamond Club changes this year, whereas others have. Everything else reaches me normally in email by BMI. I even phoned up Diamond Club and asked them why. They told me everything is in order and no reason why I should not receive all these emails like everybody else.

Still I did not receive the announcement today. Thank heavens for FT. Otherwise I would probably not even notice BMI was sold and would certainly know nothing about all the Diamond Club notices.

Has anybody else been admiring all the announcements and FAQ's by BA, especially this one, as a triumph of weasel-wording? Some very clever people have been handling this...
Old Sep 28, 2012, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Just remembered that my account is currently under my parents-in-law's address in Germany - I move it because I thought that Lufty might do a status match just for German residents! Not my smartest guess ...

I assume if I move it back to my UK address before 27th October then it won't be closed?
Anyone wishing to move their account back to their UK address can do so before 31 December.

With regards to emails to Diamond Club members, we make every effort to reach all members and will not suppress anyone from these communications. Members are asked to ensure their email addresses are up to date and also to check that the emails from the Diamond Club are not being sent straight to spam filters etc. We will also follow up with direct mail but again, this is reliant on addresses being up to date.

Warm regards

Nicci
Old Sep 28, 2012, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Hi

Are award bookings, initially booked via DC on a BD flight number, later changed to a BA flight number, still changeable to new flights after 27/28 October? Or I'll be stuck with the BA flights I have now after that date? (talking about LHR-BEY)

Thanks!

EDIT: Got the answer to that... looks like I'm stuck.

Can I get the flights changed over to BA 125 stock?

Last edited by BA6501; Sep 28, 2012 at 9:40 am Reason: edit
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by BA6501
Hi

Are award bookings, initially booked via DC on a BD flight number, later changed to a BA flight number, still changeable to new flights after 27/28 October? Or I'll be stuck with the BA flights I have now after that date? (talking about LHR-BEY)

Thanks!

EDIT: Got the answer to that... looks like I'm stuck.

Can I get the flights changed over to BA 125 stock?
Unfortunately we can't change the ticket stock - the only way to do that would be to cancel and then re-book through the Executive Club. However, I am not advising this as a general rule as availability is not guaranteed and I would hate to see anyone cancel and not be able to re-book

Nicci

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.