Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Rant: BMI DC Do Not Honour Gold For Life

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant: BMI DC Do Not Honour Gold For Life

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
No. It's not expected to do so. It is expected to rebrand.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by tosc
Isn't the sold bmi regional entity expected to takeover flybmi.com and also the Diamond Club? So, maybe you'll still be a Lifetime Gold member of Diamond Club - it just doesn't get you as much as it used to.
At the time of the sale it was said they got the rights to the bmi brand and flybmi.com but then after the sale completed in June it was said that they be using flybmi.com for the summer schedule and then moving to their own website.

So I'm not sure what is actually the case. Are they allowed to keep the bmi brand and diamond club after that date.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by caz312

OP never had lifetime gold by the sounds of it...not sure what they are trying to achieve
I do.....it's politely called poo stirring.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by ADZ1616
I would expect DC to close towards the end of October when the Ventura contract is up for renewal. So next Tuesday would sound about right to give sufficient notice
In which case I will miss my lifetime gold as my year is Nov- Nov and I was hoping to be a lifetime gold for at least a few days of my life...
Old Jun 30, 2012, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by LonLH
In which case I will miss my lifetime gold as my year is Nov- Nov and I was hoping to be a lifetime gold for at least a few days of my life...
Good news - you are lifetime gold, following the announcement by bmi that there will be no further status reductions
Old Jun 30, 2012, 6:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by A_Lee
Now, without any new thread, or even a post in the "Official Information" thread, I see well-respected members of this forum claiming it has already closed down.
Not sure who you're referring to, or why your very bizarre post is quoting me.

And what has the English language got to do with it?

Old Jun 30, 2012, 6:22 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ajamieson
Not sure who you're referring to, or why your very bizarre post is quoting me.

And what has the English language got to do with it?

Raffles made a short post, with the line, "And BMI's life is now over." at the end. You replied to his post, quoting him along with that line, and starting out saying, "Exactly." BMI's life is not now over. It looks like it is over soon, and many have already finished their relationship with BMI, but it presently is not over. Raffles' post was misinformation, and you agreed with him via your "exactly" comment. Between those two posts, NeverFirst stated that DC has been closed down and no longer exists.

Nobody that I saw challenged any of those statements. While I haven't seen many posts by NeverFirst, obviously you and Raffles are quite active here and I believe well respected members. Being I haven't been really reading this forum over the past month, I was quite shocked to see this talk of BMI/DC already being shut down. But without some new thread or official announcement, I also had my doubts this was correct. Thus my tongue-in-cheek comments about the English language perhaps meaning something different all of a sudden.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 12:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Raffles' post was misinformation
No, it wasn't.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 1:10 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
What does the OP Intend to do if they did retain Lifetime Gold:

No BMI Lounges to use

No Star Alliance Membership

No BMI Aircraft

No BMI seats to pe-book

No BMI Flights to Upgrade

Old Jul 1, 2012, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by ajamieson
No, it wasn't.
Then tell me, when did BMI close down? Why are there still so many posts in this forum titled, "bmi diamond club"? Why is there still a BMI website? Why are you still able to apparently book tickets on BMI? Why is my DC account still active? As I said before, it appears that although we're evidently communicating in English, there's a different version of English out there that I do not understand.

The phrase "And BMI's life is now over." obviously has a completely different meaning to you and others than it has to me. As far as I'm concerned, it is a completely false statement, and thus misinformation.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
As I said before, it appears that although we're evidently communicating in English, there's a different version of English out there that I do not understand.
It's a characteristic of the English language that it's very context-specific. You cannot extract meaning out of single words like a robot trying to translate by using a dictionary. You can't read Raffles' single sentence in isolation. You must read it in the context of the entire post in which it was contained, and also in the context of both the posts to which it was replying.

If you do that properly, you will see that the word "life" was not being used by Raffles in the mechanical and technical way in which you have been reading it.

Does that help to explain the difference in view?
Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
It's a characteristic of the English language that it's very context-specific. You cannot extract meaning out of single words like a robot trying to translate by using a dictionary. You can't read Raffles' single sentence in isolation. You must read it in the context of the entire post in which it was contained, and also in the context of both the posts to which it was replying.

If you do that properly, you will see that the word "life" was not being used by Raffles in the mechanical and technical way in which you have been reading it.

Does that help to explain the difference in view?
Sorry, I guess I'm just stupid and cannot see it. Reading all of Raffles' post:
Originally Posted by Raffles
You have totally missed the point.

It was not Gold status for all of YOUR life.

It was Gold status for all of BMI's life.

And BMI's life is now over.
Still I cannot see how the context of that post or of the preceding two posts in the thread change the meaning any. BMI gold status is still valid. BMI is still in business. Lifetime gold status is still listed in the DC T&C's. The only thing that has changed is that BMI is no longer a member of *A, and it looks like BMI will go away in the future, though AFAIK, no firm date has yet been set. So BMI and any BMI gold status likely have a very limited life, but by no means is it now over.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
BMI is still in business. Lifetime gold status is still listed in the DC T&C's. The only thing that has changed is that BMI is no longer a member of *A, and it looks like BMI will go away in the future, though AFAIK, no firm date has yet been set. So BMI and any BMI gold status likely have a very limited life, but by no means is it now over.
If an 85-year old person was lying in a hospital bed, terminally ill, unable to walk and barely able to talk, it would not be an unreasonable use of the English language to say that "their life is now over", even if they might technically not yet be dead. This is an example of the flexibility with which language is used in real life, when understood in context, even if may not be pedantically precise.

That's a reasonable analogy for the state that BD is now in. There are now few BD routes left. It will be only a matter of a handful of months (and perhaps only a few weeks) before BD is no longer in business on its own account. It might limp on for a few more weeks after that as a vehicle by which BA services are technically operated, but only until all the BD assets can be brought over onto the BA AOC. I think it would surprise many of us if BD were still in existence on 28 October 2012, the start of the northern winter season.

Indeed, your suggestion that "the only thing that has changed is that BMI is no longer a member of *A, and it looks like BMI will go away in the future" would be the understatement of the year. BD has pretty much gone away already.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 2:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Sorry, I guess I'm just stupid and cannot see it. Reading all of Raffles' post:

Still I cannot see how the context of that post or of the preceding two posts in the thread change the meaning any. BMI gold status is still valid. BMI is still in business. Lifetime gold status is still listed in the DC T&C's. The only thing that has changed is that BMI is no longer a member of *A, and it looks like BMI will go away in the future, though AFAIK, no firm date has yet been set. So BMI and any BMI gold status likely have a very limited life, but by no means is it now over.
You are just being far too literal in your reading of things. Diamond Club may exist as a program, but it is pretty much about to be put to bed as a program.

There is a timetable for the departure of bmi - it will be gone by the winter timetable. Planes are being re-painted and changed to BA spec (A319s, then A320s and A321s) routes moved to BA etc - the process is well under way for the closing of flight operations.

There is no official closing date for Diamond Club, but that is mainly due to it staying open to administer the last days of limited earning and burning in the program. Once bmi ops end, it will be a shell of a program and the concensus from those with a bit of knowledge either at bmi or BA is that the program will be wound down in the Autumn. A shell of it may remain open to administer the last months of booked redemptions, but with earning and burning options continuing to be cut, very little functionality is expected to be there come the end of the year.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
There is a tiny chance, I suppose, that BMI Regional may take on Diamond Club as its reward programme and an even smaller chance they may give you lifetime gold. You would therefore have no complaints - the only remaining entity with BMI in its name would have given you Gold status. It just wouldn't be much use unless you fly around the regions in jungle jets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.