Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Rant: BMI DC Do Not Honour Gold For Life

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant: BMI DC Do Not Honour Gold For Life

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2012, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by MAN Pax
What's the issue - you've got free BA Gold. If you fly BA enough in the next year you'll get Gold + the additional perks at higher Tier Points. You'll be a good customer of BA and get rewarded.

If you not a good BA customer, you'll start with Gold and gradually fall down through the ranks of the Exec Club and end up with nothing.

Looks like BA have done the right thing - after all they could have given BD Golds BA Silver Cards, which is really the equivalent level. Think yourself lucky that you're getting in the Flounge and aren't left in the gutter with no miles and no status earned on an bankrupt airline.
I was referring to the post that said BA did give out lifetime gold on an invitation basis many years ago and then pulled it.

I can understand BA not honouring bmi lifetime gold as they don't have any moral or legal obligation to do so as I've said earlier in this thread.

But I was surprised when ajamieson said BA had let down their own lifetime golds in the past - on the face of it I'd say that's just generating bad will.

What's the full story behind that anyway?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by martin007
Has anyone else asked about them losing Gold for life and what is the status of your inquiry?
You haven't lost your BD DC lifetime gold status. Actually everybody who is DC Gold now has lifetime Gold status. Of course "lifetime" means "lifetime of member or FFP, whichever ends earlier"
Old Jun 28, 2012, 5:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by layz
What's the full story behind that anyway?
I seem to recall it was an unadvertised, honorific perk offered to some CIPs, former BA board members, employees with distinguished service etc, long-time Executive Club golds etc. BA withdrew the promise of lifetime elite status (it may have been silver, rather than gold, I can't remember) a couple of years ago, saying that the offer was financially unsustainable. Some of these people hadn't put any real money in the till for years. I think it was around the same time that the Executive Club treatment of super-elites (Premier?) was streamlined, so part of a wider effort to be more commercially-minded. I understand where BA is coming from tbh...
Old Jun 28, 2012, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was lifetime Silver and was pulled about 8-10 years ago. Times are tough, not commercially viable etc.

The culling of Prems was separate and initiated after Willie joined. Some excellent stories about how it happened and the reactions.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by xcalx
Now IAG has completed their takeover of BMI and confirmed the date DC will leave the *A, I have been denied the opportunity for lifetime gold - two years short.
You make it sound like they're still part of *A!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
You make it sound like they're still part of *A!
xcalx was quoting the OPs post from April

OP never had lifetime gold by the sounds of it...not sure what they are trying to achieve
Old Jun 28, 2012, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by ajamieson
I seem to recall it was an unadvertised, honorific perk offered to some CIPs, former BA board members, employees with distinguished service etc, long-time Executive Club golds etc. BA withdrew the promise of lifetime elite status (it may have been silver, rather than gold, I can't remember) a couple of years ago, saying that the offer was financially unsustainable. Some of these people hadn't put any real money in the till for years. I think it was around the same time that the Executive Club treatment of super-elites (Premier?) was streamlined, so part of a wider effort to be more commercially-minded. I understand where BA is coming from tbh...
What I would have done in this circumstance was just redefine silver - make silver more like the BD offering (so you'd get lounge access only when flying your own airline and limited to lounges operated by the airline), then rename the current silver as gold and gold as platinum. This would mean that their lifetime silvers could only get benefits when flying BA and only have access to BA operated lounges.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 4:06 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
FWIW, I understand that the current number of DC lifetime golds is in the low hundreds.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
And a small, but significant percentage of that number participate right here.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 5:11 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
And BMI's life is now over.
Originally Posted by ajamieson
Exactly.
Originally Posted by NeverFirst
These were the terms & conditions which governed the DC scheme while it was up and running. It's been closed down and no longer exists.
I haven't really been following much of the DC forum for about a month, then come across this thread. Can someone please point out where the big announcement was that DC has already closed? Last I heard DC did not announce any closing date, and was basically guaranteeing that it would be around until at least Autumn, based on the announcements when they left *A. Now, without any new thread, or even a post in the "Official Information" thread, I see well-respected members of this forum claiming it has already closed down. I really don't have time to read through the 800+ posts in the main sticky. So can someone please point out where the crux of this announcement was made? Or did I wake up this morning and suddenly everyone who speaks English has decided that English words mean something different today? I was really hoping to be able to sign up for BA and transfer a still huge chunk of miles there, but from the sounds of it, I missed something and now all is lost.

Now if I haven't missed anything, nor missed the memo that the world was changing the meaning of some basic words in the English language, thus meaning DC did not close, then maybe people really need to be more careful in what they post, and the moderators can delete the total misinformation in these posts. Nothing like giving me a shock and telling me I just lost a million miles.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Moderators don't delete mis-information. They simply enforce the ToS.

BA is in Skyteam.

See.

DC is still running; there is no closing date (but I'll wager there will be a date available next Tuesday); however, the services offered by DC are being eroded very quickly right now, and I can tell you the staff at Donington Hall is being let go at a rate of knots, so getting anything irregular done is becoming increasingly difficult.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:34 am

Programs: BD*G, BA*S, LH*S, VS, Marriott*G, Hilton*G, SPG*G
BMI DC Do Not Honour Gold For Life

I would expect DC to close towards the end of October when the Ventura contract is up for renewal. So next Tuesday would sound about right to give sufficient notice
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by caz312
xcalx was quoting the OPs post from April
True, but the point I commented on was written in June, long after the *A exit!
Old Jun 29, 2012, 5:45 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by ADZ1616
I would expect DC to close towards the end of October when the Ventura contract is up for renewal. So next Tuesday would sound about right to give sufficient notice
Which I think I'd settle for - my nominal year-end is 27th October. Okay, so I'm now gold-for-life thanks to the no-downgrade policy, but I can take out a BAEC membership on 9th October, apply for the match, and get the maximum time with status that I could ever have hoped for.

Not that I really intend flying BA that much and so will slip down the ladder pretty quickly, but Gold will be very handy for my MEL-SYD internal leg in Y with QF in the middle of my last DC redemption in January
Old Jun 29, 2012, 8:51 am

Isn't the sold bmi regional entity expected to takeover flybmi.com and also the Diamond Club? So, maybe you'll still be a Lifetime Gold member of Diamond Club - it just doesn't get you as much as it used to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.