Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Bmi pensions to be cut after sale to BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bmi pensions to be cut after sale to BA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2012, 3:59 pm

I am afraid that it is nothing new with LH. They transferred their ground staff to 100% company Globe Ground in 1995, then sold it to Penauille in 2001 then

http://www.professionalpensions.com/...p-benefit-cuts

So ruining peoples expectations seems to be the norm for them
Old Apr 19, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
The pensions thing just adds to the aura of everything being done out of pure spite.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 4:12 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by lizban
Do we have details yet? (other than the union's view?)
Could I humbly suggest you actually read the article in The Telegraph linked by the OP?

You might consider the ultimate words of the fund's Trustee as being independent, credible and damning. You might also wonder why LH themselves are credited with a statement indicating a previous proposal was rejected, leading to a "last resort" move to transfer the fund to the PPF.

Good enough evidence to me they wanted rid whatever the cost to their (former) employees, and quite a diversion from every other statement to emerge indicating that they would continue to take responsibility.

What more details are you expecting?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A few extracts from a letter to staff:

Lufthansa and the Trustees, having taken independent professional advice, tried their utmost to maintain the Scheme as a going concern within the Lufthansa Group and reached an agreement on this basis in December 2011. Regrettably, this original agreement was not approved by the Pensions Regulator.
The Scheme joining the PPF will result in members receiving compensation that is less than their full expected benefits from the Scheme. In order to make up for some of the reductionsin benefits, Lufthansa, after negotiations with the Trustees, will voluntarily pay £84 million to provide members with additional pension benefits separate from the PPF. This amount is equal to the financial commitment Lufthansa had provided towards the existing bmi Pension Scheme under the terms of the original agreement. Lufthansa has informed the Trustees that the funds should be distributed according to individual members’ characteristics, taking into account levels of pension and length of pensionable service. We will provide details on how the £84 million will be used in a further announcement.
Lufthansa announced at the end of last year that a binding agreement had been signed for the sale of bmi to IAG.

As part of the sale, it was proposed that a British holding company of Lufthansa would become responsible for the Scheme. The terms agreed between Lufthansa and the Trustees were subject to approval by the Pensions Regulator in the UK (a body set up by the Government to protect the benefits of members of work-based pension schemes).

The agreement was fully supported by the Trustees on independent professional advice. However, the Pensions Regulator unfortunately determined that it would not support these proposals.

As their preferred route was no longer possible, the Trustees entered into negotiations involving Lufthansa, the Pensions Regulator and the PPF. As a consequence, it is now expected that the Scheme will enter the PPF. In addition, we have negotiated with Lufthansa to make available an extra £84 million to provide members with additional pension benefits outside the PPF to help compensate for some of the reduction in members’ benefits. The Trustees appreciate the concern that members will have and we will communicate further information as soon as the position becomes clearer.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Could I humbly suggest you actually read the article in The Telegraph linked by the OP?

You might consider the ultimate words of the fund's Trustee as being independent, credible and damning. You might also wonder why LH themselves are credited with a statement indicating a previous proposal was rejected, leading to a "last resort" move to transfer the fund to the PPF.

Good enough evidence to me they wanted rid whatever the cost to their (former) employees, and quite a diversion from every other statement to emerge indicating that they would continue to take responsibility.

What more details are you expecting?
The details that I was after is how are they changing the scheme. If with effect from sale FUTURE service no longer counted that would make sense. why would lufty pay for a liabilty that occurs after they've sold the company

If they've unpicked past service rights - that's very poor.

At the moment that's not clear - unless I've missed a line about it
Old Apr 20, 2012, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by flygod
It is a disgrace.

Pure and simple.

A massive company finds the cash to fulfill its obligations to Sir MB to buy out his remaining stake in BMI and then years later cannot make sure the staff get the full pensions they have worked for and been promised.

And it lets the UK - pensioners and taxpayers. that is US, who fund the pension protection fund - pick up the tab.

As my old Dad used to say when he heard news like this from Germany: I got this RAF tie for bombing Nazi b*st*rds, and I obviously missed a few.

(I was going to say just: bombing the b*'s, but he used the word Nazi to mean bad Germans.)

There are many many good Germans. They obviously just don't run LH.

Blaming the Germans is neither fair nor adaequate.

You guys on this forum were always so proud that this is great UK airline. I read so many insults on Lufthansa in particular after the takeover in this forum. LH managed this tiny airline for three years and did not manage the turnaround.

So what?

The problem now is there where it deserves to be: On the British Isles and not on the continent. Why should LH shareholders pay for pension schemes of the last 40 years and entitlements gained under SMB's rule? No way. LH sold the airline, IAG bought it and IAG is obviously not willing to pick up the bill. However, bmi is a UK company, a UK airline, operating in the UK, UK staff and you guys expect funding from the continent? What about British pride? No way.

I am English and German I see that from a birds eye perspective. I pay my taxes in both countries. But British Midland is certainly a UK issue and we need to deal with that in UK and do not need to ask for subsidies from the continent.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Why should LH shareholders pay for pension schemes of the last 40 years and entitlements gained under SMB's rule?
Er.. because they said they would.

Though, as a lawyer, that sort of logic would probably escape you.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:28 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
LH managed this tiny airline for three years and did not manage the turnaround.
And why is that?

Lack of strategy, lack of good management and clear direction, lack of revenue management, lack of investment, take your pick.

LH have done themselves a lot of damage with this one because the perception is that had they made a proper effort from day 1, things might have been a lot different.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 6:42 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by flygod
It is a disgrace.

Pure and simple.

A massive company finds the cash to fulfill its obligations to Sir MB to buy out his remaining stake in BMI and then years later cannot make sure the staff get the full pensions they have worked for and been promised.

And it lets the UK - pensioners and taxpayers. that is US, who fund the pension protection fund - pick up the tab.

As my old Dad used to say when he heard news like this from Germany: I got this RAF tie for bombing Nazi b*st*rds, and I obviously missed a few.

(I was going to say just: bombing the b*'s, but he used the word Nazi to mean bad Germans.)

There are many many good Germans. They obviously just don't run LH.

Blaming the Germans is neither fair nor adaequate.

You guys on this forum were always so proud that this is great UK airline. I read so many insults on Lufthansa in particular after the takeover in this forum. LH managed this tiny airline for three years and did not manage the turnaround.

So what?

The problem now is there where it deserves to be: On the British Isles and not on the continent. Why should LH shareholders pay for pension schemes of the last 40 years and entitlements gained under SMB's rule? No way. LH sold the airline, IAG bought it and IAG is obviously not willing to pick up the bill. However, bmi is a UK company, a UK airline, operating in the UK, UK staff and you guys expect funding from the continent? What about British pride? No way.

I am English and German I see that from a birds eye perspective. I pay my taxes in both countries. But British Midland is certainly a UK issue and we need to deal with that in UK and do not need to ask for subsidies from the continent.
European when it's suits....
Old Apr 20, 2012, 6:49 am

bmi personnel fooled by pension arrangement

It looks like there is something fishy going on between LH and the pension regulator... LH is making a one-off payment which implies getting rid of all further liabilities.

http://www.efinancialnews.com/story/...ement-pensions
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
And why is that?

Lack of strategy, lack of good management and clear direction, lack of revenue management, lack of investment, take your pick.

LH have done themselves a lot of damage with this one because the perception is that had they made a proper effort from day 1, things might have been a lot different.
Sure: It was a wonderful company, well managed and the German b****ards managed it to crap. Continue dreaming and pamper your prejudices. SMB was the one who made a huge profit and LH had the bad luck to take it over shortly before Lehman. They certainly could have done better, but it is not easy to change a half rotten airline to a great venture
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:41 am

Sure: It was a wonderful company, well managed and the German b****ards managed it to crap.
I didn't say that
Old Apr 20, 2012, 2:42 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Oh, seriously.

Thread closed for review. People are likely to disappear for a bit and most of the posts are too.

GoldCircle
Neither a child, nor a xenophobe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.