Wiki Posts
Search

What now for MBNA BMI AMEX cards?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Club Silver, BAEC Silver,HHonors Silver, Virgin

Any idea what will happen to the BMI Amex/Viusa cards? It's been my best way of earning to date .... The miles build up much quicker than using my BAEC Amex. Spending is my main way of earning .... don't fly that much on revenue to earn miles that way.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Business as usual until you hear otherwise.

If they are your best way of earning and you are wanting to keep earning Diamond Club miles, then keep using them.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Yup, keep calm and carry on!

Although given BA's deal with Amex, the cards will get dropped. If LH offers a route into M&M for DC members, I'd expect to be offered a M&M card as a replacement.

Remember also that MBNA is currently selling its UK business as well, so that may also change things.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: BA GFL
MBNA bmi Mastercard - when will it all end?

I did look for an answer to this, but couldn't see it, so apologies if I've missed it.

Does anyone know when this card might become defunct? I'm still spending on it and accruing bmi miles, but they've just asked for an annual fee which I'm reluctant to pay out for if the earning possibilities disappear.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)

Well even if you pay it and the card vanishes, surely they would have to give you a refund of however many months you wouldnt have the card ?

I'm keeping mine in the hope that something is offered when they do eventually close the bmi cards. However I don't think anything will happen anytime soon as the card is still offered isn't it ?

cs
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Well even if you pay it and the card vanishes, surely they would have to give you a refund of however many months you wouldnt have the card ?

I'm keeping mine in the hope that something is offered when they do eventually close the bmi cards. However I don't think anything will happen anytime soon as the card is still offered isn't it ?

cs
It would be a full refund of the annual fee, can't pro rata the annual fee for a product no longer offered
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Assuming you no longer need any status miles with bmi (where you get 4k annual on the paid).
The only advantage of the paid card now, compared to the free one, is the earning rate.

I can not see any chance of something being offered for paid holders where they get Tier Points (it would be nice though).

So, is the earning rate worth the fee?

If it is, pay it. If not, I would try to downgrade to the free one.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
I cancelled mine a few weeks ago - I'm not very keen on adding to the virtually unusable Avios that my BMI miles have become.

I called MBNA and asked if they would just transfer my card over to the M&M one to save me going through the bother of having to re-apply, but they told me I would have to cancel the BMI card and make a new application for the M&M one.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by Doug_1970
I cancelled mine a few weeks ago - I'm not very keen on adding to the virtually unusable Avios that my BMI miles have become.

I called MBNA and asked if they would just transfer my card over to the M&M one to save me going through the bother of having to re-apply, but they told me I would have to cancel the BMI card and make a new application for the M&M one.

Just curious, why are your avios unusable ?

cs
Old Jul 31, 2012, 2:46 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
He said virtually unusable CS, and I think I can understand the difference - depending on where you want to go and availability of seats!

Mind you I have done more redemptions with BA in the last two months than ever before, but only on domestic links - which are now surprisingly affordable.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by antichef
He said virtually unusable CS, and I think I can understand the difference - depending on where you want to go and availability of seats!

Mind you I have done more redemptions with BA in the last two months than ever before, but only on domestic links - which are now surprisingly affordable.

Sorry !!

Why do you consider your Avios virtually unusable Doug_1970

Not trying to be funny, but as an avid Avios collector, BA Silver card holder and long time reader of the BA forum, im just curious

cs
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Sorry !!

Why do you consider your Avios virtually unusable Doug_1970

Not trying to be funny, but as an avid Avios collector, BA Silver card holder and long time reader of the BA forum, im just curious

cs
Firstly, I live about 15 minutes drive from Birmingham airport which is where I normally want to fly from. If I fly on BA then I need to get to either London or Manchester, which isn't ideal. With both *A and SkyTeam I have numerous options from BHX, with One World I have (as far as I can see) none.

Secondly, the availability for long haul business class seats seems to be awful compared to *A and ST. I have looked for BA availability for several routes to Asia and the US and could find hardly anything. With *A or ST I hardly ever struggled to find availability, as long as I was flexibile by a couple of days and by the route. With BA I'd need to be flexible with the month rather then the day.

So, I have just under 700k Avios that I have no idea what to do with. If I could transfer them to M&M or Flying Blue at a 50% loss, then I'd do so in a heartbeat.

If I lived in London or Manchester and wanted to fly a lot to European destinations, then Avios would be great. But I don't, so for me they're close to useless.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:43 am

My guessing is that the bmi MBNA cards will cease operation in around April next year (based on the fact that I got issued with a very short-dated new card recently, and an assumption of there needing to be something like a one year winding-down / notice period to MBNA).

Out of interest does anyone have an issued card with an expiry date further out than 04/13?

I currently pay my rent on the Visa version so will be exploiting this way of earning Avios until the bitter end.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Gulliver_UK

Out of interest does anyone have an issued card with an expiry date further out than 04/13?
The BMI cards that I've just cancelled had an expiry date of 08/13.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:53 am

Doh! Well there goes the shortest-lived theory in the history of the internet.

:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.