Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What now for MBNA BMI AMEX cards?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by Enigma368
So MBNA refused my request to cancel my card and refund for annual fee(charged about 3 weeks back).
I'd ask MBNA to downgrade to the free card and refund the annual fee as TBH MBNA will not really care about your relationship with BMI.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
So MBNA refused my request to cancel my card and refund for annual fee(charged about 3 weeks back).

The three benefits to paying for the premium card are:

1) Extra DC miles on purchases
2) 4000 annual status miles
3) 2 lounge passes
Lounge passes?

I never got any lounge passes!

Didn't get any status miles either, but don't really care about those as they are useless to me anyway, but lounge passes? I wouldn't mind some of those!

I'll send them a secure message now and ask why I haven't received them!!!

Will they work in any *A lounge? (clubhouse??? )

Edit: I've also cheekily asked them if I can have 4,000 destinations miles instead of the status miles which never showed up

Last edited by PanGalactic; Sep 20, 2012 at 3:58 pm
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by E14 26C
I'd ask MBNA to downgrade to the free card and refund the annual fee as TBH MBNA will not really care about your relationship with BMI.
well they refused to refund the annual fee when i asked to cancel the card so I cant see why they would change their mind if I downgraded it
Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:29 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
well they refused to refund the annual fee when i asked to cancel the card so I cant see why they would change their mind if I downgraded it
MBNA do not refund the annual fees for cancelled cards as they have lost the customer, they might however refund to a fee free card as the customer is 'retained'
Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
Lounge passes?

Didn't get any status miles either, but don't really care about those as they are useless to me anyway, but lounge passes? I wouldn't mind some of those!

Edit: I've also cheekily asked them if I can have 4,000 destinations miles instead of the status miles which never showed up
They only work in bmi branded lounges, on BD coded flights so almost useless now unless you're on one of the few remaining BD coded midhauls.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 5:38 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)

Pointless, as MBNA never applied those, they just confirmed the customer info and cards etc to bmi who applied them. Diamond Club is the team you need to chase up, so you can imagine where that will lead you...

I will save you the wait. You won't get them.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
Lounge passes?

Do you actually have the card with the annual fee or the free card? Sounds like you have the free card if you got neither of the extra benefits of the paid card.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 6:12 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
Do you actually have the card with the annual fee or the free card? Sounds like you have the free card if you got neither of the extra benefits of the paid card.
I definitely have the plus card with the annual fee.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 4:59 am

Programs: Who cares ?
deleted

Last edited by sparkythehamster; Jan 10, 2013 at 10:31 am
Old Oct 6, 2012, 6:16 am
Suspended

Lounge passes?

Just a quick update to say...... there is no update!!!

I got a secure message back from them the next day saying someone would reply within 5 working days.

5 working days later they hadn't replied, so I prodded them again.

Got another message back 2 days later saying they would look into it and reply back shortly.

Now over 2 weeks have gone past and noone has answered my query!

Poor show MBNA
Old Oct 6, 2012, 6:38 am

Just a quick update to say...... there is no update!!!

Now over 2 weeks have gone past and noone has answered my query!

Poor show MBNA
As per my comment earlier in the thread, you need to speak to Diamond Club on these issues, not MBNA. That's the main reason why MBNA aren't able to give you an answer, as they don't have control over them. MBNA may well be asking Diamond Club on your behalf, but as I very much doubt it.

You could have saved yourself a few weeks of nothing by contacting Diamond Club instead.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 6:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RAPC
As per my comment earlier in the thread, you need to speak to Diamond Club on these issues, not MBNA. That's the main reason why MBNA aren't able to give you an answer, as they don't have control over them. MBNA may well be asking Diamond Club on your behalf, but as I very much doubt it.

You could have saved yourself a few weeks of nothing by contacting Diamond Club instead.
I really don't care about the passes or status miles to be honest, I'm just trying to blag a few extra points

My experiences with DC haven't been great to be honest, I ask them a simple question, get bounced around various departments and achieve nothing
Old Oct 6, 2012, 6:49 am

I really don't care about the passes or status miles to be honest, I'm just trying to blag a few extra points

My experiences with DC haven't been great to be honest, I ask them a simple question, get bounced around various departments and achieve nothing
The same points, that again as I mentioned earlier, you have diddly squat chance of getting from MBNA as they can't give them out - DC do!

As for your experiences of contacting DC in the past, well at least MBNA are giving you brand consistency now on the card
Old Oct 7, 2012, 6:51 am

Hi guys, new here and looking at getting this card. Is it still worth it? Obviously its a very good card(s) but if I'm likely going to be bumped down to some awful version soon I may as well just get the BA one, or just an Amex platinum rewards. Any advice brilliant thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2012, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Mithre
Hi guys, new here and looking at getting this card. Is it still worth it? Obviously its a very good card(s) but if I'm likely going to be bumped down to some awful version soon I may as well just get the BA one, or just an Amex platinum rewards. Any advice brilliant thanks!
Welcome to FT!

Your statement is a little odd, to me.

The BMI card gives you 20,000 Avios, worth £150-£200. For free. You pay NO annual fee. You only spend £250 to trigger the bonus. There is no household income requirement to meet to get one. Why the heck wouldn't you get it?!?!?

It doesn't matter if the card ceases to exist in a month or so. This girl is not one for marrying, if you know what I mean! Get it, bank the sign up bonus. If the card then gets scrapped, who cares?

The BA and Amex cards will be around for ever. (And the BA card has no decent bonus at the moment anyway.) Get the BMI card, bank your bonus, then think about what card you want long term.

(I would move on from the BMI card to the Amex Gold, actually. 20,000 MR points (22,000 if referred) = 20,000 or 22,000 Avios and no annual fee for the first year. That 'no fee' deal may disappear at some point so I'd look to lock that in before Christmas as well.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.