FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   OT: Ok, I'm going to say it... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/1293090-ok-im-going-say.html)

YorkieFlyer Apr 22, 2012 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by rxfleming (Post 18437351)
It's been 1 day, and I've already had an argument (and the p*ss ripped out me) on the BA forum... Lord!

I just don't seem to fit in over there. I can't put my finger on why... I may have to stay away for fear of being banned :D

I say old chap don't you know they're not to happy with johnny come lately's from that Jerry owned airline just turning up you know!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuoV0mfxdUI

NoY Apr 22, 2012 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer (Post 18442558)
I say old chap don't you know they're not to happy with johnny come lately's from that Jerry owned airline just turning up you know!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuoV0mfxdUI

Brilliant video clip :D Of course, some of the apologists believe (or would like to) that it's still like that on board BA. The crews actually range from the reasonably decent old school types to the downright lazy under-trained, could-care-less crowd with a massive chip (..you mean I need to actually provide s-e-r-v-ic-e..??) & massive sense of entitlement. Sigh.

bullroot Apr 22, 2012 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by tranmerechris (Post 18439385)
+1

+2

hfly Apr 22, 2012 11:16 pm

I tend to find that those on the BA board fly BA much more than BD board posters fly on BD, that however is not always the case as there are certain posters who seemingly never or rarely fly BA at all, yet seem to have opinions on almost every thread and inevitably do in fact take an apologist tone and defend almost everything about BA.

Regarding the "in" crown and all of that, while I do think it exists to an extent, it is not hard and fast. I have rarely gone with "the flow" of the BA board, yet have been an active member over there for over a decade, so it really does have to do with your character and how you post, not necessarily the position(s) you take.

henry999 Apr 22, 2012 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by NoY
Of course, some of the apologists believe ...

heh heh

The apologists over there are so defensive that they bristle when anyone dares to refer to them as ... apologists! 'Loyal supporters', they call themselves. :)

cheers,

Henry

Prospero Apr 23, 2012 1:40 am

I'd like to welcome everyone here over to the BA board. Its a very busy forum, I grant you that and its pace can be intimidating to some.

A new EC Guide is being produced at the moment and we hope to have this completed within the next few weeks.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-ec-guide.html

In the meantime, please visit ba.com - it covers all the bases

RAPC Apr 23, 2012 2:10 am

Thanks Prospero - good luck with the guide updates.

Looks like a good opportunity for anyone who thinks the current guide is lacking in some areas to give their input in to areas they would like to see in the guide too.

oliver2002 Apr 23, 2012 2:22 am

Maybe the tommys can copy some brillant threads the jerries already have (albeit hosted by a welsh jap): @:-):D

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-new-post.html

NoY Apr 23, 2012 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 18443796)
I'd like to welcome everyone here over to the BA board. Its a very busy forum, I grant you that and its pace can be intimidating to some.

A new EC Guide is being produced at the moment and we hope to have this completed within the next few weeks.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-ec-guide.html

In the meantime, please visit ba.com - it covers all the bases

Seriously, it's not the pace that's intimidating. In fact it's not intimidating at all. It's just, too often....not nice to participate in for all of the reasons already stated :(

The welcome is appreciated though.

GoldCircle Apr 23, 2012 7:29 am

I'm not a poster on the BA forum, but have been a reader for some time. Frankly, I don't fly BA all that much and the bmi forum has seved my 'community' needs.

In the past, the BA forum was genuinely clicky, b1tchy and unpleasant and exclusive in the most literal sense of the word; however, over the last couple of years, that has mostly changed. People have moved on, the board culture has moved on and, indeed, the airline has moved on. Now, there's no doubt that there is a regular (ahem! ;)) crowd in the BA forum, but let's face it there's one here too.

The bmi forum is not disappearing - not imminently anyway - so, I suggest now is the time that people should start reading furiously - and beginning to participate slowly, yonder. Basic manners suggest we should all bone up on BAEC - the BA.com site is actually quiet good in this respect (not like bmi's :D); with these basic understandings, then the BA dashboard starts to make some sense (granted it is filled with BA lingo, but it is manageable enough). Prospero has also indicated that another guide will be with us shortly - and I sense this will bridge very many gaps for us.

On the social side, there's only one way to make new friends... and it takes time. I think we'll find the BA Mods will be fairly supportive of us 'bmibies' over the coming months, as they understand there is both an FT cultural difference and a large gap in programme structure, requiring a fairly steep learning curve. For sure, an us and them attitude will result in failure for both cultures. So, for thsoe that wish to emmigrate, learning the new language will be appreciated.

So, for champagne, read cheap wine; for birdseed, read cheese toastie; for New Club World, read Premium Economy. :D See, it's not so hard to begin to adapt. ;)

And I guess, inevitably, there'll be a New Do at some point - a Brown Ale and Bolly event with birdseed and thermo-nuclear toasties? :D

EsherFlyer Apr 23, 2012 8:40 am

Originally Posted by RAPC (Post 18443857)
Thanks Prospero - good luck with the guide updates.

Looks like a good opportunity for anyone who thinks the current guide is lacking in some areas to give their input in to areas they would like to see in the guide too.

I see some value in a ex-BD specific FAQ including things like:

1) Q: How do I book a Avios stopover? A: Avios doesn't have stopovers.

2) Q: What is like an eGUV in BAEC?

3) Q: Can I mix OW carriers in a redemption?

4) Q: What is like ANA for OW?

New thread? Post questions, when answered move to head-post?

orudge Apr 23, 2012 9:25 am

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer (Post 18445248)

And yet I booked a stopover using my Avios in London on a European trip (something I couldn't do on BD) just the other day. ;)

Also, as I understand it, you can have stopovers in a manner somewhat similar to what we've got used to with BD, but you have to pay extra for your connections. So you could do something like LHR - LAS (stop) - LAX, but you'd have to pay an extra fee for your LAS - LAX leg. Avios certainly lacks the same flexibility and value when it comes to routing that we've come to know and love. :(

Swanhunter Apr 23, 2012 9:29 am

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer (Post 18445248)
I see some value in a ex-BD specific FAQ including things like:

2) Q: What is like an eGUV in BAEC?

3) Q: Can I mix OW carriers in a redemption?

4) Q: What is like ANA for OW?

New thread? Post questions, when answered move to head-post?

1. All Avios awards are point to point.
2. Gold Upgrade for 2. Valid for a 1 class round trip upgrade for 2 people. Only obtained at 2500 TP's
3. Yes
4. ba.com is pretty good at partner availability but only for point to point itineraries.

EsherFlyer Apr 23, 2012 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter (Post 18445584)
1. All Avios awards are point to point.
2. Gold Upgrade for 2. Valid for a 1 class round trip upgrade for 2 people. Only obtained at 2500 TP's
3. Yes
4. ba.com is pretty good at partner availability but only for point to point itineraries.

I appreciate the answers ^. But just to clarify/push the point...

Rather than looking for them here I was using them as examples of the type of thing that we might build up into a new 'Everything You Wanted To Know About Moving to AVIOS' sticky. A bit like the 'Questions for DC' thread but open for Q+A that builds into the top post.

A_Lee Apr 23, 2012 9:56 am

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer (Post 18445708)
I appreciate the answers ^. But just to clarify/push the point...

Rather than looking for them here I was using them as examples of the type of thing that we might build up into a new 'Everything You Wanted To Know About Moving to AVIOS' sticky. A bit like the 'Questions for DC' thread but open for Q+A that builds into the top post.

Even though I generally despise huge sticky threads, I think that's a pretty good idea in this case. If a ton of BMI newbies invade the BA board, adding a million threads about every single question, it will likely create a backlash and ill will towards the newbies. Making one thread for the BMI transferees to ask their newbie questions, and where some helpful knowledgeable BA old hands can answer would be a good solution in my mind.